Arduino Based Voice Changer

I'm just getting everything together for my first build and while I'm waiting for everything to arrive, I decided to make a voice changer.  When I started researching voice changers I considered making a TKTalkie because the creator was kind enough to share his design , but I figured I'd take a crack at making my own first.  I managed to find the amp on Amazon, that I think most of you are using.  The system uses an Arduino nano with a DFPlayer mini.  You can turn on a bandpass filter to make the voice sound more like a CB.  There are bitcrusher and reverb settings to degrade the sound and add echo, respectively.  I might add a ring modulator and other effects down the road, but they wouldn't really be applicable to a Stormtrooper.  Maybe some blaster sound effects too.  The button controller isn't what I intend to use.  It's just an old RF remote that I converted for use for Arduino development instead of putting a bunch of pushbuttons on the breadboard.  I'll most likely be using the glove button method like TKTalkie.

Troopduino.thumb.jpg.801b6a470afee8b28959375c90af2916.jpgPCB.jpg.247ece5e1a5f95ac0aadf90daab10abb.jpg

• Like 1

This is awesome. I'm awaiting my BBB and would like to give this a whirl.

Do you have a complete BOM to build this?

I already have a few nanos, and I think some dfplayers (possibly clones).

Is the PCB board available on OSH Park? I searched but it didn't pop up.

Any help/guidance appreciated.

Kris

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lumpy said:

This is awesome. I'm awaiting my BBB and would like to give this a whirl.

Do you have a complete BOM to build this?

I already have a few nanos, and I think some dfplayers (possibly clones).

Is the PCB board available on OSH Park? I searched but it didn't pop up.

Any help/guidance appreciated.

Kris

I haven't ordered any boards yet.  I should be ordering some this week.  I will make everything open source, but I haven't completely finished the design yet.  I may make it into a general purpose prop board, or simply base one on this.  If you want to PM me your address, I'll mail you a board when they arrive and you can help beta test.

I've ordered the first set of test boards.  I'm putting a 3.5mm earphone jack on the board and I'm breaking out some extra pins on the Arduino for expansion.  I also made the 5V pin available so I can be powered by a 1 cell LiPo on that pin, a 9V on the battery pins or through the Mini-USB using a phone charger power pack.  Each button has 3 modes; click, double click and long press, so there are up to 12 functions. 

CAFAiL9.jpg

Edited by Skookumshot

On 4/14/2019 at 11:32 PM, Skookumshot said:

I will make everything open source, but I haven't completely finished the design yet. 

that sounds great, i just ordered the MAX4466 over ebay

i think it can go even with 3 AA alkaline batteries

Edited by skyone

The boards shipped from OSHPark.  I'm just waiting for them to arrive.

In the meantime, I've been working on an add-on accessory.  I wanted to add an LED to my blaster, without modifying the blaster itself.  This is my first prototype of a blaster effects tube that can be inserted into the blaster and run remotely off of the Troopduino.  You could make a different one for each blaster with different colours and sound effects.  Each blaster effects tube has a unique ID so it will match the correct blaster and sound.  This is just a proof of concept right now.  I have a better RX and some RGB high power LEDs on order.  The Arduino Nano is a little tight for space, so I'm going to try something smaller.

zIgt0ct.jpg

xki5KhD.jpg

eM0oP1w.jpg?1

The boards arrived today, but I'm getting a buzz on the DFPlayer when running on the 5V from the Arduino.  I found that it's the RX line on DFPlayer, but a 1K resistor or powering off the 3.3V pin clears it up.  I've been using DFPlayers in lightsabers for a while now without ever encountering this problem, but they run on a single cell Li-ion.  If I wan't them to be able to run on a 9V or a USB power pack, I'll have to re-design the boards.

85Bsqce.jpg

f2h9h9e.jpg

9jSBEwL.jpg

Edited by Skookumshot
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

the 1 kohm resistor is needed between Arduino TX and DFPlayer RX because the serial input is goign at 3.3 volts while arduino otuput is 5 volts.

" 4.1 Serial Communication Connect Module's serial port is 3.3V TTL level, so the default interface level is 3.3V. If the MCU system is 5V. It is recommended connect a 1K resistor in series" http://www.picaxe.com/docs/spe033.pdf

btw great work!

Edited by skyone

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I've recently ordered and assembled all the components for Troopduino and it works a treat. Many thanks to Andrew for his tireless assistance!

I've chosen to run on 18650 cells and have moved the headphone jack off the board to allow for a case install. 

Troopduino 01.jpg

Edited by markgambino
Minor copy addition
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

I found the board on OSHPark, Can this run with simple 20mm 8ohm speakers?  Id like to mount this with those speakers inside my helmet.  And since Im ordering DF mini players and arduino boards for my blaster build, it would be nice to use some of the left overs for this project.  If I were to do this would another amplifier be required?

Very hard to say, I had speakers in my helmet at one stage and couldn't hear people over my own voice, get's pretty loud in a convention. 

On 6/9/2020 at 11:17 PM, markgambino said:

I've recently ordered and assembled all the components for Troopduino and it works a treat. Many thanks to Andrew for his tireless assistance!

I've chosen to run on 18650 cells and have moved the headphone jack off the board to allow for a case install. 

Troopduino 01.jpg

Did you need the "Thick film ressitors"? in the BOM?  Im a little confused looking at the read me, can this run with the arduino, DF player, and electret?

22 hours ago, markgambino said:

I ordered the resistors according to part number in the BOM (via Digi-Key) and everything works just fine - no extra components required.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

understood,

Im printing an FOTK helmet right now, that has an outward-facing speaker mount on the left side facing the vent that I intend to cover with black speaker fabric.  Ive done some small electronics, but that was by following guides online.  Can I wire the output to a 90mm 8ohm 5watt speaker, rather than a headphone jack?  Im thinking some type of amp may be required. I am reading about the max446, and it says an amp is required, so im thinking I can use one of the small audio amps meant for arduino, but Im gonna have to see what the real estate is like inside the bucket.  I also plan on adding a TP4056 board for recharging the battery without removing.  Ideally I can 3d print housing for all of these parts, so they can be semi-permanently installed.

Edited by deputyd0ng