Anovos First Order Kit Instructions

Damon

Anovos has just recently made available the downloadable instructions for their First Order Stormtrooper Kit.  While I think we all can appreciate the detail (and for the most part, the quality) of their products; I know that for some of us, the mixing of the variant details (i.e. Stunt Helmet with Hero Belt), inconsistencies with instruction manuals and of course the shipment delays have naturally caused a somewhat distasteful reaction at the mere mention of the company's name.   A lot of us have jumped ship with this particular kit and purchased kits from other vendors, but like some, I have held onto hope that someday soon I will receive that fateful email stating that "Big Brown Box Day" will soon be here and that I can join the proud ranks of the First Order Troopers.  Unfortunately, the downloadable instructions have raised some questions and even worse, made me question that I would receive a kit that would be legion approved without requiring any major modification.

First off, the instructions live up to Anovos' standard of being misleading and forgetting details such as specific tools required.  There are low resolution photos of both the TFA and TLJ variants so it is unclear which one you are actually receiving.  Photos of the test build suggest that we are getting at least the TLJ cod piece and for those that ordered the Kit with the TFA Helmet, that could be an issue.  

The Tools and Supplies Required page lists: Utility Knife, Sandpaper, Ruler/Straight edge, Philips Screw Driver, Pencil, Clear Glue (E6000 Industrial Strength Adhesive), Scissors, Clamps, Drill Motor, 3/16in or 4mm Drill Bit and Gloss White Spray Paint (Rust-Oleum - Painters Touch 2X).  What they don't list is a Torx screwdriver (for the Thigh Holster Hardware) and a means of sewing velcro to the black webbing (whether a machine or hand sewn).  

There are no mention of any type of gaskets and leaves the attaching of the pieces to the builders imagination.  Additionally, it does not indicate where or how the webbing should be attached.  The images are unclear in parts as to which side of the pieces the velcro attaches such as on the interior side of the "Inner Chest" plate (?!) or sandwiched between the Inner and Outer Chest plates.  This brings me to the major question that I have regarding this kit.  All of the CRLs only mention a Chest Plate with a Back Plate/Yoke.  The diagrams indicate that Inner Chest plate is glued (and velcro'd?) to the Outer Chest plate and acts as the exposed front portion of what would normally be considered the Yoke.  The Back Plate has a drastically reduced Yoke that appears to be velcro'd to the Interior/Underside of the Inner Chest Plate creating an overlap and a seam.  This very concept goes against the requirements of the CRLs.  There is one photo of the test build that actually depicts this overlap.  

Anovos states that they pride them selves on having access to the the screen used artifacts, but after scouring all of the images that I could find from TLJ, I couldn't find any detailed enough photos that would indicate this change in the armor from the original pieces used for TFA.   Naturally, as have no experience with the FOTK armor of any kind, I could be wrong which is why I present this conundrum to the subject matter experts.   Far be it from me to suggest that the CRLs are not completely accurate, but if anyone has any additional clarification to this, I am sure that there are a lot of us that would appreciate it.  Granted, it would take that much work to modify the pieces to make them approvable, but after nearly 3 years of waiting and a serious chunk of change spent, it would be a shame to have to.  

For those that haven't seen the instructions, please see the attached link:  https://www.anovos.com/pages/star-wars-product-instructions

Anovos FOTK Kit Test Build.jpg

For starters, the cod and forearms are TLJ specific. If and when the release the me let this should hav3 the TLJ specific greeblies as well.

The belt boxes are certainly an upgrade from the original kits. They are very much based on the screen used resin boxes albeit with a few changes.

The shoulder seam and ab side seam are very contentious. We saw it coming in all the preview pics. Can they be fixed? Of course
! Can they be suitably fixed to CRL standard without painting? Very doubtful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

As mentioned on other threads here and on FB sites, take the Anovos instructions with a grain of salt. The kit will need to be altered regardless but don't fret as the builds begin we'll be here to help you through it.  

• Like 1

I appreciate the heads up, and I’m glad I’m not alone in this. Do we have anything (other than what’s presented in the CRLs) that list the specific differences between the TFA & TLJ Armor? (other than the helmets, that much is obvious).

As mentioned on other threads here and on FB sites, take the Anovos instructions with a grain of salt. The kit will need to be altered regardless but don't fret as the builds begin we'll be here to help you through it.  

Y’all are awesome! Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I appreciate the heads up, and I’m glad I’m not alone in this. Do we have anything (other than what’s presented in the CRLs) that list the specific differences between the TFA & TLJ Armor? (other than the helmets, that much is obvious).

You’d be surprised! I think all current vendors missed the greeblie detail on the TLJ buckets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

11 hours ago, Damon said:

The CRLs are supposed to be updated sometime this year but don't expect drastic changes. The FISD is about uniformity not prop replication so unless it is blatantly obvious I'd be surprised to see things like greeblie details mentioned in the current levels of accuracy . If the staff implements a 4th level of accuracy I suppose prop replication would be the focus there. 

Anyway, let's take one day at a time. First the BBB then the assembly. In the mean time take a moment and mull over build threads currently pinned or other in the build sections. Though undoubtedly there'll be differences with your build there'll also be many similarities. 

Edited by ukswrath
  • Like 1

What Tony said.  When building use the screen as your reference, not anovos promo and keep an eye on the CRL.  I can't see anything major happening it's more likely to be clarifications.

Ultimately there's a few CRLs with stuff that's straight up wrong so if you're unsure ASK.  Bring the bit of the CRLs wording and and image from the screen and we can figure it out.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ukswrath said:

The CRLs are supposed to be updated sometime this year but don't expect drastic changes. The FISD is about uniformity not prop replication so unless it is blatantly obvious I'd be surprised to see things like greeblie details mentioned in the current levels of accuracy . If the staff implements a 4th level of accuracy I suppose prop replication would be the focus there. 

Anyway, let's take one day at a time. First the BBB then the assembly. In the mean time take a moment and mull over build threads currently pinned or other in the build sections. Though undoubtedly there'll be differences with your build there'll also be many similarities. 

Definitely one day at a time.  My first build was kind of a "learn as I go" process which was time consuming and not very cost effective.  So now I am trying to avoid that frustration by getting ahead of the game and using that experience, doing my research and planning out what I'll need to do it right the first time.  All of the inputs and support have been amazing and greatly appreciated.  And when BBB does finally come, I will most definitely share that build with all y'all via a build thread so that we can all get the benefit of dealing with modifying this "production" version of the Anovos kit.

Thanks again!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 8:30 AM, Damon said:

Definitely one day at a time.  My first build was kind of a "learn as I go" process which was time consuming and not very cost effective.  So now I am trying to avoid that frustration by getting ahead of the game and using that experience, doing my research and planning out what I'll need to do it right the first time.  All of the inputs and support have been amazing and greatly appreciated.  And when BBB does finally come, I will most definitely share that build with all y'all via a build thread so that we can all get the benefit of dealing with modifying this "production" version of the Anovos kit.

Thanks again!

We're here for ya when you're ready

What was the greb the everyone missed on the bucket? I'll prob never update mine but just curious now

I'm wonder also on the yoke/back connection if you can do like we are doing on the new style KB kits and make it so the yoke sits flush with the back and use Velcro or magnets to hold it down. It's certainly a different way of doing things but it does seem to work well and not needing to bondo and paint is a life saver 

33 minutes ago, heartstopper85 said:

What was the greb the everyone missed on the bucket? I'll prob never update mine but just curious now

I'm wonder also on the yoke/back connection if you can do like we are doing on the new style KB kits and make it so the yoke sits flush with the back and use Velcro or magnets to hold it down. It's certainly a different way of doing things but it does seem to work well and not needing to bondo and paint is a life saver 

Greblie? Apparently there's some inaccuracies. I'm sure something will come out in the CRL update whenever it gets started, til then build away.

How the yoke and back are assembled is pretty clear, especially when it comes to the seamless areas. I don't foresee any changes to the CRL that may contradict what's screen accurate.  

Greblie? Apparently there's some inaccuracies. I'm sure something will come out in the CRL update whenever it gets started, til then build away.

How the yoke and back are assembled is pretty clear, especially when it comes to the seamless areas. I don't foresee any changes to the CRL that may contradict what's screen accurate.  
Found out it was the indent that was different cant say I ever noticed

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 minute ago, heartstopper85 said:

Found out it was the indent that was different cant say I ever noticed

Ah! thanks

Glad you found the answer in the group Dustin. I probably should have posted this pic when I first made my comment in this thread a while back...

ce0306b7a7c9ce2d4adf603125409562.jpg

2 hours ago, JAFO said:

Glad you found the answer in the group Dustin. I probably should have posted this pic when I first made my comment in this thread a while back...

ce0306b7a7c9ce2d4adf603125409562.jpg

Darren these both Anovos?

So does anyone actually have the new TJL bucket in hand or are we looking at ad photos?

We’re looking at photos.

I thought one on right was from an auction of a screen used bucket

No, that’s from an Anovos promo shot.

Matches screen used buckets.

It looks like a studio/ad photo. Do you actually have or know someone that has the new, latest bucket in hand? If so can you post more photos please, from all sides. I curious to see what else may have changed compared to the TFA

Ok so we don't know if the new bucket will have the correct components

The detail has been in all their marketing so it would be surprising if they left it out.

4 minutes ago, JAFO said:

No, that’s from an Anovos promo shot.

Matches screen used buckets.

So you have detailed photos of the screen used buckets? Please post