Starting My Phasma Build - HELP! :)

Hi there!

I've been on the fence about doing a Phasma build for about a year now, and I finally decided to go for it! While this will be my first build for the 501st, I've got some decent experience that I hope will help me create the costume I've been dreaming about :) Reading @LadyInWhite, @sharkbait, and @Soulart posts (along with others of course) have been such an inspiration for me - I'm really excited to get going!! 

From what I can tell, there aren't many Phasmas around ... I live in Southern California and would love to know if I've got anyone near me who might've gone through this whole process. I've been reading threads here without joining because I was nervous, but you all are so helpful and supportive to fellow Phasma builders in the past that I decided to take a chance and join in on the fun!

I've been researching armor, and I'm curious - is KB Props out of business? Seems like a lot of people went through them but then stopped a little while ago. Any recommendations for the best place to get my armor from? I'm putting together a list (similar to Sharkbait's original post here) of what I need/where to get it, so any ideas or input is super appreciated. I'm 6'1 and a little concerned about getting "big enough" items too.

Before I go, I just want to say to anyone reading this -- I've been a Star Wars fan for years, and although I always knew the 501st existed, I was too scared/nervous to join. This past weekend, however, I was volunteering at a Make-A-Wish event and saw the 501st in action for the first time ... and was completely amazed. You all are awesome, creative, and so amazing with kids (and adults!). I saw people who not only love and appreciated the Star Wars universe like I do, but who also used that passion and created something magical with it for the rest of the world. Call me cheesy, but I think you all are really special. Looking forward to getting to know y'all going forward! :D 

Edited by KirKestrel
  • Like 4

Hello and welcome aboard. KB did have a change in location at one stage but I'm pretty sure he's back up and running (although I'm not frequent on FB).

Good luck and looking forward to the progress. 

Hello future Silver Sister!!!

My lady is a KB Props and he indeed is all caught up from the past back order nightmare and making armor again for sale for new customers.

I will personally vouch for this as I moderate Kevin’s KB Props sales page alongside him. I help Kevin and Jsin the best I can and see every message going in and out. They’ve done amazing and did not give up. EVERYONE that remained on that list DID get their armor. It’s very exciting to see that happen.

We are trying to get him organized and premaking kits up for sale so he can join the vetted armorer list. You’ll not have any issue getting a set of armor if KB is where you hope to purchase from.

As for your build, if you need any help or info, please do not hesitate to ask or message me.

I will certainly do my best for you. If I can’t help you, I’ll find you someone that can.

Good luck!!! Welcome to the forum!

Build Sister build!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

(You aren’t cheesy. It is special. I believe all things we do is special. The interaction. The fellowship. Friendships. Love of costuming. Giving of ourselves. Passion of the hobby. Making people happy. Especially being that special character for a sick or struggling youngling or grown up. It IS special!!! And I’m so happy you are embarking on this journey with the rest of us!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome aboard!  I'm honored to have inspired you!  Selfishly that will also help my motivation to really get cracking on her, once again!  She's certainly not an easy build, but I have never heard anyone say she's not worth it.  I look forward to your progress!

I have a KB kit- I got a little caught in the mess they had, but I did in fact get my armor, and I'm happy with it.  I have a friend and new fellow Squad mate who also has KB for his TLJ TK, he got in after the mishaps, and got his kit in a couple of weeks (insanity!).  He's also done and approved already.  So now he's going to help me instead of the other way around, hahaha!  

@LadyInWhite is roughly local to you- So Cal at least (which I realize is large- I'm from the Central Valley CA).

I'm 5'11, so we're not too far of in height.  KB should have no problems for you at your height.  Jimmi makes a nice kit, but he is a smaller guy and I've noted his various kits reflect that (you build what you know- makes sense).  His is also fiberglass v. KB is ABS, and I personally think ABS is easier to work with and I prefer it.  Shawn Thorrson also does Phasma kits now, too!  I know next to nothing about them other than his has a helmet and KB's doesn't.  But I have his helmet.  

As far as shoes go, if you want lifts (at your height, with any normal boot heel, plus a little added from the helmet dome, you don't need to if you don't want to), then I would recommend something with a lace up front- the laces will get covered by the (TFA) boot armor, and thus be CRL compliant, and they will also give your foot room to rise up with the lifts.  I don't think the TLJ foot armor would completely cover, however, so that's really an option for TFA only.  I'm not as well-versed on TLJ as I am on TFA, though.  PayLess if going out of business, but that's where I snagged mine, for like $20.  

I plan to use my TK undersuit, which is a black compression shirt and pants.  They're pretty available in a lot of sizes- just do a google search and you should find some options (Eastbay tops I like, and I have a random brand pants I found on Amazon; I might switch to Men's because women's tend to be smaller fits).  I'd recommend not the winter variety, as the suit will be hot enough as it is.  Moisture wicking is a plus.  (I actually need to replace a pair of my TK understuit paints, ended up with a hole right on the butt, which I found at a troop, but thankfully the armor covered it, so if I find a good option I'll drop you a line).  

I just ordered Jessica's cape and belt this morning!  So excited!  She's doing a very small run of up to 5 right now, so if you're able, jump on that quickly (Facebook, Jessica Bowyer).  If not, there are other options and she will do other runs in the future, too.

Not to totally plug my own stuff, but my ESB TK build will have some cross-cover as far as supplies, tools, etc.  Harbor Freight clamps for the win!  Love those things.  I'd recommend investing in a real Dremel, not an off brand (or at least not the $30 ones from Amazon), as I've now burned out two of them over three years (though not a terrible run).  

I'm doing pretty good on the basics, just don't ask me how to build her... still pretty such on that part!  :laugh1:

Sharkbait,

I just ordered a cape and belt from Jessica today too!  I'm glad we got in on her small run.  I'm excited to see what it looks like in person, because it looks amazing online.  I'm going to probably need gaskets and definitely shoes.  I know you got yours at Payless, but would you be willing to send me a picture just so I can see what you bought?  I was thinking Chelsea boots, but they don't have laces and I would prefer that.  if you have purchased gaskets, where did you get them from?

Edited by Lejundary

On 4/9/2019 at 1:58 PM, sharkbait said:

Welcome aboard!  I'm honored to have inspired you!  Selfishly that will also help my motivation to really get cracking on her, once again!  She's certainly not an easy build, but I have never heard anyone say she's not worth it.  I look forward to your progress!

I have a KB kit- I got a little caught in the mess they had, but I did in fact get my armor, and I'm happy with it.  I have a friend and new fellow Squad mate who also has KB for his TLJ TK, he got in after the mishaps, and got his kit in a couple of weeks (insanity!).  He's also done and approved already.  So now he's going to help me instead of the other way around, hahaha!  

@LadyInWhite is roughly local to you- So Cal at least (which I realize is large- I'm from the Central Valley CA).

I'm 5'11, so we're not too far of in height.  KB should have no problems for you at your height.  Jimmi makes a nice kit, but he is a smaller guy and I've noted his various kits reflect that (you build what you know- makes sense).  His is also fiberglass v. KB is ABS, and I personally think ABS is easier to work with and I prefer it.  Shawn Thorrson also does Phasma kits now, too!  I know next to nothing about them other than his has a helmet and KB's doesn't.  But I have his helmet.  

It's nice to e-meet you, fellow Californian! And a tall one too! :)

I think I'd like to also stick with ABS and am going to go with a KB kit. I will have to get the helmet separately like you too, probably a Thorsson . What's the best way to get in touch with him/get a quote? 

As far as shoes go, if you want lifts (at your height, with any normal boot heel, plus a little added from the helmet dome, you don't need to if you don't want to), then I would recommend something with a lace up front- the laces will get covered by the (TFA) boot armor, and thus be CRL compliant, and they will also give your foot room to rise up with the lifts.  I don't think the TLJ foot armor would completely cover, however, so that's really an option for TFA only.  I'm not as well-versed on TLJ as I am on TFA, though.  PayLess if going out of business, but that's where I snagged mine, for like $20.  

This is super helpful - thank you!! I would love to do a little lift (Gwendolyn Christie is 6'3, after all ... and I love a good heel anyway :D). I'm thinking I'll be doing a TLJ Phasma, so the lace ups may not work for me, but I'll do some research on it. I appreciate you reminding me to avoid using lifts in a shoe with no room to rise up!

I plan to use my TK undersuit, which is a black compression shirt and pants.  They're pretty available in a lot of sizes- just do a google search and you should find some options (Eastbay tops I like, and I have a random brand pants I found on Amazon; I might switch to Men's because women's tend to be smaller fits).  I'd recommend not the winter variety, as the suit will be hot enough as it is.  Moisture wicking is a plus.  (I actually need to replace a pair of my TK understuit paints, ended up with a hole right on the butt, which I found at a troop, but thankfully the armor covered it, so if I find a good option I'll drop you a line).  

I definitely am interested in compression shirt and pants ... I figure it will help with the heavy costume etc. I think I saw GeekyPink also sells the shiny shorts to put over it too, so I'm thinking about doing that too. 

I just ordered Jessica's cape and belt this morning!  So excited!  She's doing a very small run of up to 5 right now, so if you're able, jump on that quickly (Facebook, Jessica Bowyer).  If not, there are other options and she will do other runs in the future, too.

I've seen people mention Jessica, but I'm not sure where to get in touch with her - could you possibly point me in her direction? 

Not to totally plug my own stuff, but my ESB TK build will have some cross-cover as far as supplies, tools, etc.  Harbor Freight clamps for the win!  Love those things.  I'd recommend investing in a real Dremel, not an off brand (or at least not the $30 ones from Amazon), as I've now burned out two of them over three years (though not a terrible run).  

Awesome, thanks! Definitely checking out your ESB TK build! :duim:  Thank you so much for the help already!!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, KirKestrel said:

It's nice to e-meet you, fellow Californian! And a tall one too! :)

I think I'd like to also stick with ABS and am going to go with a KB kit. I will have to get the helmet separately like you too, probably a Thorsson . What's the best way to get in touch with him/get a quote? 

This is super helpful - thank you!! I would love to do a little lift (Gwendolyn Christie is 6'3, after all ... and I love a good heel anyway :D). I'm thinking I'll be doing a TLJ Phasma, so the lace ups may not work for me, but I'll do some research on it. I appreciate you reminding me to avoid using lifts in a shoe with no room to rise up!

I definitely am interested in compression shirt and pants ... I figure it will help with the heavy costume etc. I think I saw GeekyPink also sells the shiny shorts to put over it too, so I'm thinking about doing that too. 

I've seen people mention Jessica, but I'm not sure where to get in touch with her - could you possibly point me in her direction? 

Awesome, thanks! Definitely checking out your ESB TK build! :duim:  Thank you so much for the help already!!

He's on Facebook- Shawn M Thorsson.  He might have a props page but I can never find it because finding anything on Facebook is murder.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have built a couple of KB props FO's for my garrison mates, I currently have a couple of video on Youtube on how I did it. I also just helped a member in AZ finish her KB Phasma, she just needs to paint it. I have also helped some Californians build there armor, one mailed it to me and two others came down and I helped them build the armor over three days.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...