Brad's ANH TK (Stunt) Build Thread

Alleged

Well, here we go!  I purchased a kit from WTF last November, and I received it earlier this month.  I've done only a small percentage of the research that I need to do, and at this point all I have done is open the box.   I was pleased with the timeliness of the WTF armor, it was approx 10 weeks as promised up front.    Everything was very carefully and thoughtfully packaged. 

I have been wanting to build this for a while, and now is the time.  I am a teacher and my time is at a premium, and while I would like to be finished within a year, I am setting no particular timeline.  This will be done correctly with love for the source material and for the smiles this brings people. 

Today I am in process of reading through build threads, assembling soft parts and necessary tools - here is what I have so far:

Soft parts:   2 pair of black gloves,  white belt (both from Trooperbay),  top and bottom undersuit (no-name eBay).

Tools:  cutting mat, aviation snips (yellow), curved Lexan scissors, assorted screwdrivers,  utility knife, soldering iron,, sandpaper, sand sponges,  hand sander. assorted Testor's paints, electric drill. assorted drill bits).  

Blaster:  I have a beaten-up and slightly damaged Master Replicas E11 that I was thinking of repairing using, but it's REALLY heavy. 

Incoming:   E6000, belt sander,  aviation heating iron (not necessary I know but I would like to try this). 

Need to think about:   how to put this all together - strapping?  straps?  Rivets?   Snaps?  

Questions on my mind (still reading build threads).   I see that I will need to procure aerator tips; Etsy seems to have a few options, but of course I want to do this right (and support fellow troopers' manufacturing efforts where possible.)    The thermal detonator - there is approx one half of this attached to a piece of PVC, with two end caps.  This seems correct, but want to make sure there isn't a reverse side that is missing (see below).   

First, the "big box" because today is the day:

32602709567_a890c82db6_b.jpg33668505158_d09627ff50_b.jpg 

33668506058_b4e8f20af9_b.jpg

Looking forward to this process. 

Edited by Alleged

Looking good, nothing better than a BBB unpacking.

TD has clips on the other side, you can make your own or find here

Here is a reference of the TD 

Image result for detonator reference whitearmor

I suggest staying on FISD for pieces, ebay and etsy are the best for accuracy. For hovi tips you can find here (he does without speakers too)

When ever in doubt with trimming or references head to the gallery section here

Good luck and looking forward to the progress.

• Like 1

Thanks ukswrath, your (and everyone's) good advice is noted and deeply appreciated.  So here is the progress.  Thanks to ukswrath, I have located hovi tips, and I have secured them until they are needed.   I got a complete data dump on snaps, and had "Fasnaps" recommended.   So hardware is on the way.

Like many, my thinking is to begin with an easier section; many seem to start with the forearms,  I read up on the "butt joint and cover strip" method (located on a thread here -->  

) and  viewed a video discussing the trimming of the forearms (located here; -->  

I have identified the left and right forearms  (left and right, the left part being the "bulged" part and the right being more or less straight.  47523123812_9811aae1a8_b.jpg

Using a dry-erase marker, I have marked the appropriate places for rough trimming.  It seems like the cut is made all the way to the "end"  (i.e. no "lip" (return edge?) remaining for this section.)  

47523124262_97504761ab_b.jpg

...and the opposite side:

32633554957_9b4a81830a_b.jpg   

It looks like leaving 5/8" of the flat side before fitting seems to be a conservative approach.  Here was one dry erase marking, measured 5/8" from the "bend" to the main part of the forearm.

32633553447_aa9333e4e7_b.jpg

Nothing will heppen in the next few days due to the day job, but this looks like my next weekend session.    Appreciate all of the kind and helpful feedback.  - Brad (ID99611)   

• 2 weeks later...

Yay Brad great to see you here!! You're correct there should be no return edge on the wrist side. The elbow side is up to you for comfort/looks. As you've said, start conservative - you can always trim off more.

Re hovi tips, my WTF kit came with them including the mesh screen - might be worth messaging them to ask if maybe they just forgot to include them?

• 2 months later...
On 4/19/2019 at 11:09 PM, shashachu said:

Yay Brad great to see you here!! You're correct there should be no return edge on the wrist side. The elbow side is up to you for comfort/looks. As you've said, start conservative - you can always trim off more.

Re hovi tips, my WTF kit came with them including the mesh screen - might be worth messaging them to ask if maybe they just forgot to include them?

I eventually found the WTF Hovi tips, so I have them as spares.  I have a feeling I am going to want to start a kit of replacement/repairs/extras!

Midsummer update, before a build party with friends this weekend.   Life intervened as it sometimes does and this kind of goes in fits and starts.  

I am working with the "butt strip and join" method, and had a few starts and stops.    Fortunately E-6000 is forgiving if you need to start and stop.   After a few misfires, I trimmed and assembled forearms and biceps.   The shoulder bells are trimmed to where I think they need to be.   Fortunately I have introduced no cracks or scores where they don't belong (but If I do I am building an impressive collection of ABS "trims"  from which to make paste/spare parts.

One thing that has helped - I invested in a belt sander.   This really helps in "planarizing" where I have made trims and rough smoothing/deburring.  

I know I will have to finish the forearms a bit - I've seen some of the cover strips nicely beveled and (I think) the wrists are sanded WITH the cover strips on so that the cover strips are nicely flush with the ends of the wrists (so they are not jagged.)

In general, I am using the TrooperBay videos as a general guide (keeping in mind that the armor in the videos is not mine).  

Hopefully another update with progress this weekend!

48181785361_83b98d52f4_b.jpg

• Like 1

All starting to take shape nicely Brad, keep the photos and questions coming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice work Brad. You can soften the ends of those cover strips. They look very square and will scratch you!

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2019 at 10:24 AM, 68Brick said:

Nice work Brad. You can soften the ends of those cover strips. They look very square and will scratch you!

Yes, got that G2 at the build party and it's on the list to do.    Thanks so much for your feedback. 

The stems and slit on Option 1 may be a little long but I've use similar and just added a washer or two.

You can also hit Joseph @justjoseph63up for a set https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/34902-centurion-level-rivet-sets-for-sale/

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

The stems and slit on Option 1 may be a little long but I've use similar and just added a washer or two.

You can also hit Joseph @justjoseph63up for a set https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/34902-centurion-level-rivet-sets-for-sale/

Ah, just the info needed. Ordered, and thank you!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Alleged said:

Ah, just the info needed. Ordered, and thank you!

Got the order and will have those in the mail today! 

9 hours ago, Alleged said:

Please excuse me if this is not the best way to do this...

ALWAYS feel free to ask any questions you may have, Brad... we are here to help!  Great job so far, and as Andrew (Sly11) mentioned, keep the photos coming :jc_doublethumbup:

Thank you so much everyone.   Bells, biceps, forearms, thighs are done.  Had a devil of a time aligning the cover strips to the thighs, then finally realized it's impossible to get it PERFECT due to the curvature of the armor.  Thanks to justjoseph63 I should have rivets in hand soon to attach the ammo pack to the thigh - in the meantime, I'm starting on trimming shins which I will hopefully finish at an armor party this weekend.   

The next question is kind of an embarrassing.  This is a Walt's Trooper Factory Kit, and I before I go too far I want to make sure I have correctly identified the orientation of the shins.   I *think*, from left to right, I have left outer, left inner, right inner, and right outer (top of the image is down).  Hopefully correct before I continue trimming? 48268451546_5712800e4a_b.jpg

Edited by Alleged

Just got through the WTF shin-gate thread, that was a can of worms!  Thanks for the clarification Tony (and thanks Sha-Sha for blazing the trail.)     I can see that doing the rough trimming first is going to help me match these correctly, so that's what I'm off to do tonight.   Thanks everyone!

16 hours ago, ukswrath said:

Have fun

Too bad we didn't live closer you could bring those bad boys over 

That would be awesome.  I will take a rain check.   In the meantime, I burned some midnight oil and got some work done yesterday.   After a lot of sanding and trial-and-error, I got the halves to line up, and as per the WTF shin learning on the previous post, yes, the "shorts" and the "longs" match.  This view is front on, right and left respectively.     48274746846_538bf48bbd_b.jpg

I also did the rough timming on the sniper knee, which I will match once I close up the back.   (The backs are slightly trimmed but unfinished as I intend to finalize the fit with the help of some Legion mates at a build party tomorrow.)   Cover strips rounded off per suggestion earlier. 

More perspective:  48274666661_decd445778_b.jpg48274666536_2d144477a7_b.jpg

48274666266_942bd0a0af_b.jpg

The thighs are a different story.  The left and right is easy to identify, but these were far more difficult to quite fit as perfectly as I would wish.   They are lined up at the bottom,  and there are no "gaps" in the middle of the cover strip, but there remains a slight protrusion on the top of the right outside.   This was my third attempt (I tore apart my first two and retried.)  I can see now that armor is curved, and the cover strips are mostly straight, and that slight imperfections are accepted.  The plan is to grind/smooth the top of the right thigh to match the height as I really don't want to tear this apart again.  

Thanks everyone for reading, I really feel like I made some progress last night. 

• Like 1