Anovos Imperial kit (2018) - Aiming for Centurion

Hirerob

Hello all, this is my build thread for my Imperial Stormtrooper Kit (2018 Reservation). I've begun trimming, following Ukswrath's instructions. My kit came with a preassembled helmet so I thought I'd go ahead and toss it up here and get feedback on any modifications I need to/should make to achieve Centurion rank. This is my first build ever but I want to aim high. Thanks!

tQqUKP1.jpg

0SZchty.jpg

nyLz7cj.jpg

Hey Rob great to see you received your kit and you're on your way :jc_doublethumbup:

I would contact your Garrison GML, I'm pretty certain you may need to make a few minor modifications to the helmet and possibly waist belt before you apply for 501st basic. But check with them first. 

If you don't mind us asking how did the preassembled kit fit you?

Looking good, a couple of adjustments you could make (but shouldn't hold you up for basic, dependant on your GML)

DaveMANH02.jpg

Tube stripes should be a pencil width from the side of the cheek, this may be changing in upcoming CRL updates so you may need to address those but you could apply for EIB and see if you receive centurion feedback for those ;)

Can't quite make out your hovi tip mesh but the standard Anovos mesh needs to be changed for a more accurate mesh. Also the insides of the hovi tips are white and have a white rim.

DaveMANH01.jpg

I would also look at adding a little more paint on your teeth, they are quite short (Anovos helmets sometimes have overspray which would need to be removed also)

ANHSTUNTfrown2

Good luck looking forward to the progress

31 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Looking good, a couple of adjustments you could make (but shouldn't hold you up for basic, dependant on your GML)

Our garrison GML would definitely hold back the basic

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ukswrath said:

Hey Rob great to see you received your kit and you're on your way :jc_doublethumbup:

I would contact your Garrison GML, I'm pretty certain you may need to make a few minor modifications to the helmet and possibly waist belt before you apply for 501st basic. But check with them first. 

If you don't mind us asking how did the preassembled kit fit you?

Thanks for the quick reply. The only part of the kit that was preassembled was the helmet. I'm 6' 1" and about 195 lbs. The parts of the armor I've trimmed so far seem like they should work fine but obviously time will tell. I've sent two emails to The Star Garrison of Texas without any reply but I just registered on their forum and hopefully that gets me in contact with someone there. I'm also going to an event tomorrow where they are scheduled to be so hopefully I can meet some of them and get some direct feedback.

That said, I appreciate yall's feedback here and am excited to keep making progress on my kit. 

• Like 1

Yeah, it seems that Anovos went from one extreme to the other on the frown paint.  They used to carry it all the way into the gum line, and now it's too short!

I would grab some  Humbrol # 5 or Testors # 1138 gray paint at a hobby shop and re-do them all.  Hint:  Use a quality, soft bristle brush with a fine tip for painting, especially in the small V on the sides.

AfP1Xw8.jpg?1

• Like 3

3 hours ago, justjoseph63 said:

Yeah, it seems that Anovos went from one extreme to the other on the frown paint.  They used to carry it all the way into the gum line, and now it's too short!

I would grab some  Humbrol # 5 or Testors # 1138 gray paint at a hobby shop and re-do them all.  Hint:  Use a quality, soft bristle brush with a fine tip for painting, especially in the small V on the sides.

Porridge is too hot, porridge is too cold lol

• 3 weeks later...

All trimmed and ready to start fitting. And, my E11 M38 from Praetorian Blasters came Monday!

Also, Ukswrath's Anovos TK build instructions says for L3 approval the return edge needs to be removed on the lower edge of the forearms and shins. Does anyone have a reference photo of this they can post? Thanks!

o2Nw2Tx.jpg

DReJdTl.jpg

I believe there's a reference photo in my build thread but just in case it's missing, here ya go. 

Forearm

gallery_12157_59_23801.jpg

This is not a really good shot of the shin but I can tell you this, if you elect not to remove it you might want to buy two sets of boots because the return edge will eat them up lol

gallery_14191_22_57630.jpg

Edited by ukswrath

Take a good look in the gallery for all of the reference pics and browse a few of the EIB/Centurion request threads.  You'll see a lot of the common "mistakes" (minor flaws) that can save you some work later.  Do it right the first time!

Post lots of pics and ask lots of questions.  We're all here for you!

37 minutes ago, Digz Graavz said:

Take a good look in the gallery for all of the reference pics and browse a few of the EIB/Centurion request threads.  You'll see a lot of the common "mistakes" (minor flaws) that can save you some work later.  Do it right the first time!

Post lots of pics and ask lots of questions.  We're all here for you!

9 hours ago, ukswrath said:

I believe there's a reference photo in my build thread but just in case it's missing, here ya go. 

Forearm

gallery_12157_59_23801.jpg

This is not a really good shot of the shin but I can tell you this, if you elect not to remove it you might want to buy two sets of boots because the return edge will eat them up lol

gallery_14191_22_57630.jpg

So the idea is to remove the return completely not to leave even the slightest of “finishing curve” edge? On the outside of the forearm with the “row of squares” (not sure what you call that) you cut it so it’s open on the end not closed? Does that make sense the way I’m describing it?

25 minutes ago, Hirerob said:

So the idea is to remove the return completely not to leave even the slightest of “finishing curve” edge? On the outside of the forearm with the “row of squares” (not sure what you call that) you cut it so it’s open on the end not closed? Does that make sense the way I’m describing it?

Exactly.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hello! I've started to look at the belt. According to Ukswrath's instructions, to reach Centurion the belt needs to be replaced with one like Kittle sells but I can't tell what the difference is between it and the one Anovos supplied. Pictures below. Thanks. 

qadXLj4.jpg?1

aHaPISC.jpg?1

yuEM0El.jpg?1

Hey Rob it's because the belts lack firmness. It sags or lacks support in critical areas like at the holster mounts. That said, the latest version Anovos belt may still be excepted at 501st basic. I would check with your garrison GML first before making any purchases.

If you plan on shooting for EIB or Centurion it is recommended (soon to be mandated) you use a belt of better quality. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Question about the Centurion abdominal top right side snap (nonfunctional): Does it have to be a pop snap or can it be a line 24? Or does it need to just match the rest of whatever the rest of the snaps used on the abdomen? Thanks.

1 hour ago, TheSwede said:

I´m of the opinion that as it´s there might as well use it. A male snap of silver color is what´s needed, brand won´t matter:salute:

IKdYVoG.jpg

Thanks for the quick reply!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hirerob said:

Question about the Centurion abdominal top right side snap (nonfunctional): Does it have to be a pop snap or can it be a line 24? Or does it need to just match the rest of whatever the rest of the snaps used on the abdomen? Thanks.

The popper snap which was used on the screen armor is by no means required at any level of approval, line 24 (silver) is perfectly acceptable. As Daniel mentioned you might as well use it if you install a line 24 snap.

As for the elastic strapping from Anovos it should work though it's not very durable. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, ukswrath said:

The popper snap which was used on the screen armor is by no means required at any level of approval, line 24 (silver) is perfectly acceptable. As Daniel mentioned you might as well use it if you install a line 24 snap.

As for the elastic strapping from Anovos it should work though it's not very durable. 

Thanks for quick response, Tony!