ANH armor build - RS

tsongololo

So I made a cover plate - it's somewhere between meh and OK. I can space another one out so it sits flush but I have the concept down. I rolled the edges over and superglued them, then cut out a flap which I glued onto a piece of 3/16 high pressure plastic tubing (one of many items I happen to already have laying around), and stuffed the tubing into the weatherstripping.

LzkoyOa.jpg

Sa4LVTS.jpg

21 hours ago, tsongololo said:

Finding good reference photos might be harder, other than the one side view of Han in the Death Star that sure looks like a cover.

Here´s Han and Luke, appears they close differently (left over right and vice versa) but shows how it should look:)

dsaMmzU.png

Looking at your helmet it appears the paint on the traps might be a tad to big, it should be within the recessed area - keep it up almost there:duim:

nIoj1of.png

I can't belive it! I'm DONE!!! Well, no not really, but all the armor parts and accessories are assembled.

Still need to go over the checklist and CRL now, paint rivets, fix some things and find other things to fix. And of course get some photos submitted to the pre-approval forum, once I find someone to take them. Though I'll take a look at the requirements and submit any that highlight the armor without being worn.

And then I need a blaster.

And then?? I guess contact my local garrison and see what they have to say.

Cool!!!

qDNwUup.jpg

• Like 2

I can't belive it! I'm DONE!!! Well, no not really, but all the armor parts and accessories are assembled.

Still need to go over the checklist and CRL now, paint rivets, fix some things and find other things to fix. And of course get some photos submitted to the pre-approval forum, once I find someone to take them. Though I'll take a look at the requirements and submit any that highlight the armor without being worn.

And then I need a blaster.

And then?? I guess contact my local garrison and see what they have to say.

Cool!!!

qDNwUup.jpg&key=52b2ca5c73b830a1f226f21b282bde7821f92adc4d4a3c9ea23a1ead7c1cfd3e

Congrats, Trooper. :-)

• 4 months later...

Wow, I can't believe October was the last time this thread was active.

I did reach out to my local GML last year, then the PG&E outages commenced, then the holidays happened, and somewhere in there was a period of about a day and a half when my mailbox filled up. Of course I missed his reply. I re-sent an email a few weeks ago and got in contact! Waiting to hear back after a few minor adjustments, with one potential snag. I refitted the latex hand plates to smaller gloves, and they look, well, disproportionate.  Here's what was sent back:

AMWXpdz.jpg

So looks like I can either order a new pair of gloves and put the ABS plates I have on, or attempt to modify the latex. I have a few questions on this matter:

- What are the best trooping gloves that would go with the ABS? I understand rubber is really only necessary for Centurion levels, so I'd like a few suggestions on people's favorite brand/style.

- I've not had good experience with getting clean lines cut into rubber/latex. Are there smaller latex plates available? Has anyone else of the smaller persuasion had an issue with ginormous hand plates? 

-------

I wanted to share this idea that some people might find helpful. Yes, you CAN use a paper shredder to make small ABS bits for ABS paste:

WPROtCY.jpg

Just use the thinner scrap.

-------

In the meantime, I ordered a Rubie's E11 and am currently doing a few mods. Before I started that project, I quickly spray-painted it black, it fell in the dirt, so I quickly painted over that, and it was dry in time for the  requested new photos.

I'm currently hung up on the scope, and I found a great source of lenses and prisms: a $2 old camera from the thrift shop. It was 50% off that day, bonus! I'll post more details in the E11 section. Here's where I'm at with it as of this morning:

Tesj1jY.jpg

-------

A few pictures from the last photo shoot 

Dangerous life form detected, sir

Gvb6GzM.jpg

I've got you covered, sir

B3bSdvI.jpg

Alright, I'll check it out

AS1TyAv.jpg

It appears to want peace, sir

UbkS9k8.jpg

Black Nomex flight gloves are fairy popular with troopers, you can search them on amazon and get back to your GML and see if its ok.

OR, just get a pair of black chemical gloves and get yourself approved first, and ask your garrison mates what is their best recommendation.

They want you to cut the hand guards in half?

A couple of things I noticed:

1. The 5mm shoulder bridge elastic is showing a bit so might want to tuck that in.

2. The left shin is riding over the boot at the heel.

3. Did you get another set of forearms? They look a bit big.

Overall very nice work Trooper:duim:

I'm also confused as to what the GML is asking you to do about those handguards.  Cutting them down?  That would be... weird?  :/  

From what I can see in your pics, the latex handguards look like they could be glued down more along the edges, thereby creating a curve that fits the back of your hand.  My hands are very small as well, and I troop in rubber gloves with latex handguards.  I had to glue the handguards down to the gloves with a curve in them so they didn't flare out.  That flare from the flat handguard may be what's causing the proportions to look off.

To get the curve, I placed a large bottle of Novus polish inside the glove as a base.  Make sure that the handguard doesn't go beyond the knuckles when you make a fist (mark your handguard locations first before gluing!).  I then used Loctite plastic bonder to glue the latex guard on.  It's a two-step system that works ridiculously well to adhere that handguard to the rubber glove.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Y3LHXW

After prepping your surfaces with Step 1, apply the glue (Step 2) sparingly and in one small location at a time to ensure adhesion and prevent seepage outside of the handguard.  It all goes pretty quick.  When you're done, your handguard will remain stuck with a curve on your glove.

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/38416-crickets-rs-stunt-build-for-the-vertically-challenged/?do=findComment&comment=538665

Oh, and I've found that Trooperbay sells pretty thin latex handguards if you're needing a thinner set.  They're full-sized, just thinner than what I see in your pics.

Edited by Cricket
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, TheSwede said:

. Did you get another set of forearms? They look a bit big.

Well, I must have weird forearms. The GML commented that they looked a little thin from the angle I submitted.  They do look kind of large in those photos, but they fit my arms without a lot of wiggle room. Maybe I just have weird arms. I do remember getting them round was difficult, because to go for really round I would've had to have removed a lot of material.

6 hours ago, Cricket said:

I'm also confused as to what the GML is asking you to do about those handguards.  Cutting them down?  That would be... weird?  :/  

In all fairness, he couldn't tell what the material was. I'm hoping the new photos will at least give him a better idea of the nature of the fix, or maybe they'll be OK with more context, if they're just secured better.

Edited by tsongololo
Bad grammar

2 hours ago, tsongololo said:

Well, I must have weird forearms. The GML commented that they looked a little thin from the angle I submitted.  They do look kind of large in those photos, but they fit my arms without a lot of wiggle room. Maybe I just have weird arms. I do remember getting them round was difficult, because to go for really round I would've had to have removed a lot of material.

Ah, all good then:duim: And as for the shape, the forearms are meant to be more oval. Just like the actuall forearm itself- as you were Trooper:salute: