Lord_Potato's Walt's Trooper Factory ANH TK Build (COMPLETE)

Lord_Potato

1 hour ago, Lord_Potato said:

More stuff coming this weekend, I've been a little distracted with life, biggest thing was finding out I'm going to be a dad after trying for a couple of years and also getting promoted to the next rank for my job (now I can stay at my job long enough to retire. Yay job security). 

Wow!!! Huge double congrats to you!!!  :happyandcheerfulbirthday: :happyandcheerfulbirthday:

Okay, so I went back to my left thigh to try and to and make the front ridge/cover strip area closer to a 20mm width instead of 25mm. To help me make a better cut the second time around I cut a 10mm strip of tape and put it on the ridge to act as a guide. It seems to have worked and I did the same thing to the other side. Now the join up pretty well.

6Yt0jk5.jpg

p7Lmakq.jpg

3toaltI.jpg

OWUWjyR.jpg

And the width is just a little over 20mm :)

Fq0enth.jpg

Heres how the thigh looks on me:

evoXvLG.jpg

Pkow74B.jpg

YgJLTk5.jpg

PWf3y6P.jpg

I think I have it sized pretty well. It's fitted but not too tight. I can easily stick a finger anywhere on the top portion of the thigh and two fingers with minimal effort. 

The only potential issue I see is not having enough plastic on the back to meet at the middle. In the back section of the thigh, there is plenty of overlap at the bottom but as it nears the top it gets pretty close to the edges. From the looks of it, it seems like it will work. Placing a damaged cover strip in the overlap area, it is able to cover where both ends meet and it looks to be right at the middle. 

l44fFHw.jpg

GBPtShd.jpg

0Ys8F5v.jpg

Any comments are appreciated.

I also got my imperial boots. 

FdTH1yq.jpg

Edited by Lord_Potato
  • Like 1

Thigh looks like a good fit, as long as you have a little wriggle room you should be good.

Today I didn't make much progress (not for lack of trying). I did get the right thigh front ridge to a width of about 20mm (more like 21mm). So both front of both thighs have a 21mm ridge. I then decided to put a cover strip of the front of the left thigh. I figured I should have the front secured before I start trying to make the back of the thigh to meet at the middle. I kept messing up the cover strip. I had no idea such a simple task was going to get the best of me. I found out after looking at a YouTube tutorial that I was putting to much force on my cuts. I guess when I put the metal ruler down it is better to make several light cuts against the ruler instead of a few hard pushed cuts.....my strips kept coming out uneven. Like a frustrated child I took the best looking one and glued it with e600 onto the front ridge of the left thigh. I guess tomorrow I'll look at it with a fresh set of eyes and see if I need to take it off and do a new cover strip. This time I'll do several of light slices until I get past the middle. The plastic from Walt's seems very thick. 

I got a little better with the cover strips. Turned out all I had to do was make a whole lot of cuts against a ruler (as a guide) instead of a few hard cuts which made me loose stability.

KZwkx4u.jpg

So the front cover strip on the left thigh is dried and secure.

sCpsNad.jpg

Dc2sygA.jpg

I was nervous doing the back part......making sure it aligned and the hardest part was eyeballing the middle of the back for the cover strip. I decided to do my best and make out the middle, cut out the excess plastic and butt the ends together. Now I am just waiting for it to dry and hoping if it all ends well I can do the same thing on the right thigh. 

PjE8x5s.jpg

GrfneLS.jpg

If this back cover strip sticks together well then the only thing left to do for this thigh is sand down/even the return edge and add snaps to attach to a belt. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I learned you can never have enough magnets. I have 30 magnets on the way. Having only enough magnets to really secure one strip was a waste of time. 

I struggled a bit with closing up my thighs. The cover strip at the back of both sides did not want to rest completely flat due to the curvature of the thigh. Putting a cover strip in the inside seems to help create a bit of flatter surface for the outside cover strip. 

I also had to do a bit of hot water bathing to get certain ridges to better meet and to add less tension to the thigh ammo pack. 

WyAhVPd.jpg

VwrTCsa.jpg

4uL9OOd.jpg

TqUKfpv.jpg

Used split rivets for the ammo pack installation. 

uopfy9j.jpg

aGMBdSC.jpg

eNtW9PZ.jpg

iq5BzlF.jpg

0WvJESs.jpg

Sanded down most of the return edges:

DK3VoPY.jpg

Made sure cover strips were vertical and overall appearance of the thighs looked at least decent:

OyBHkU4.jpg

fvvn4GC.jpg

Heres how they look on me:

mV4X2LH.jpg

ostDTFB.jpg

qWoojj8.jpg

pMPQtuG.jpg

dSt5oWN.jpg

So besides painting the rivets and gluing straps.....the thighs are done. 

Nice work, if the bottoms gaps are a little wide you can add some scrap abs behind.

Never have enough magnets, clamps and tape ;) 

upG2FJs.jpg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Nice work, if the bottoms gaps are a little wide you can add some scrap abs behind.

Never have enough magnets, clamps and tape ;) 

upG2FJs.jpg

Thank you for the tip! I can't wait for my magnets ha ha. I have a few clamps, but they aren't the best, They barely reach over the ridges so I might have to invents on some longer reaching ones.  

• Like 1

Adding some downward pressure to the cover strip and armor sections so it bows then wrapping tape around can help flatten stubborn areas.

• Like 1

I did a rough cut of the calf armor, got rid of the return edge at the bottom (need to make it looks cleaner with some sandpaper).

According to my skimming through various WTF build threads. This seems to be what side goes where. (longer sides are the outer ones and shorter are inner).

LGzTEE5.jpg

Hopefully this week I can get the calves fully assembled.  

1 minute ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Adding some downward pressure to the cover strip and armor sections so it bows then wrapping tape around can help flatten stubborn areas.

Thank you very much. Might have to do that next time. Adding a cover strip to the inside and using all my magnets seemed to barely get the job done! ha ha. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Lord_Potato said:

I did a rough cut of the calf armor, got rid of the return edge at the bottom (need to make it looks cleaner with some sandpaper).

According to my skimming through various WTF build threads. This seems to be what side goes where. (longer sides are the outer ones and shorter are inner).

Ahhh!  Shingate!!!  There was some lively debate about the WTF shin pairings here a while back.  You might want to check out the discussion before assembly.  
https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/41887-robs-wtf-anh-stunt-build/?tab=comments#comment-567552

FWIW, I assembled my WTF shin halves as long+long, short+short.  

• Like 1

On 7/8/2019 at 11:21 AM, Cricket said:

Ahhh!  Shingate!!!  There was some lively debate about the WTF shin pairings here a while back.  You might want to check out the discussion before assembly.  
https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/41887-robs-wtf-anh-stunt-build/?tab=comments#comment-567552

FWIW, I assembled my WTF shin halves as long+long, short+short.  

Hey Cricket :)

Thank you for the link. So it seemed like the consensus was the shorter shins are paired together and the longer ones are paired together. That is what I seemed to have gathered from the thread you shared. It's a little difficult since one of the Admin people on the WTF facebook page told me the longer ones are the outside shins. But putting them together like that seems way off. So I think I am going to go with the way you did it (long+long, short + short). Do you happen to remember what side calf long and short calves go? Also, I really don't like the height difference for the calves......I am assuming there is nothing wrong with trimming down the longer one so its closer to the height of the shorter shins? 

I've put a few WTF kits together. I went long on the outside short on the inside. 

Do what makes you comfortable.

SHINGATE!!!!!!:laugh1:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, troopermaster said:

This is how they are supposed to be assembled according to the original ANH armour.

ab61uoC.jpg

Thank you for your input :) do you think it will be too inaccurate if I trim the bottoms of the longer shins (right pieces) to better match the height of the left shins?

That depends on your height. The original ANH shins were not the same length left and right, with the smaller left shin having the sniper knee plate attached, so you won't really notice the difference. That is unless they are much different in length, not just 10mm or so. I have never handled a WTF kit before so I really don;t know how long they are.

• Like 1

That depends on your height. The original ANH shins were not the same length left and right, with the smaller left shin having the sniper knee plate attached, so you won't really notice the difference. That is unless they are much different in length, not just 10mm or so. I have never handled a WTF kit before so I really don;t know how long they are.
Troopermaster,

The shorter calves will probably be compensated by the sniper plate. Makes sense. Thank you for your input. I guess I'll do a pre fit before I do any potential trimming.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I made the return edges smaller on the top of my calves, made sure the front meets up at about 21mm, and made sure there were no return edges at the bottom.

HtDBDxV.jpg

jxBIbz5.jpg

MMv8Qhg.jpg

lvtfD8G.jpg

I then decided to put an inner cover strip on one side on each calf. Hopefully, with both calves being held together by an inner cover strip and possibly adding some masking tape for extra reinforcement, I will be able to better size the calves and ensure I get a straight line in the back to make sure the backs meet up neatly at the middle. 

gGmq4Ri.jpg

gFBrhLe.jpg

Tomorrow I should be able to join each other half to the inner cover strip.

Inner cover strip held. Added the adjacent shins and glued/clamped/magnetized them together. 

PX3VkyB.jpg

LX75dQm.jpg

cNCEtsE.jpg

KFqqpNk.jpg

Hopefully, this will make it easier when it comes to putting them and sizing them.