Lord_Potato's Walt's Trooper Factory ANH TK Build (COMPLETE)

Lord_Potato

Hello to everyone who happens to stumble across my thread! 

So I have a commissioned RS Propmasters ANH TK that my wife bought me when she found out I have been wanting to join the 501st for years. I love my RS TK and even though it was a commissioned kit, I still ended up modifying the crotch, torso, and kidney pieces to make it fit my small narrow body frame. I love trooping and being in the 501st but I realized that if I made the RS kit from scratch, I think it would have been better fitting. Also seeing several peoples build threads on this site has taught me that the best way to make armor fit you as best as possible is to do it yourself. So I ordered a Walt's ANH TK kit and received it a few weeks ago. I am going to start slowly start assembling this thing and I am very nervous (as it is my first build). I am going to heavily review Cricket's, Sashachu's, and Ukswrath threads. I hope it helps that I do have a complete RS TK that was assembled by RS to use as a reference.

I will post some pics of my RS TK after I shortened and reshaped the kidney, belly plate and narrowed the crotch and shortened the thighs for my next post. 

Edited by Lord_Potato
  • Like 1

So the first thing I did was pull out the chest plate and compared it to my RS. Walt's chest plate is smaller....which is good for me since I have a small frame. I measured the RS return edge to use that as a reference. The bottom of the chest plate return edge on the RS is thicker about 10mm near the ends and about 6mm at the middle. I think I will do 9mm straight across. 

----------

sorry guys, apparently the thread says I cant post anymore pictures. This is all I can do at the moment, attach links to my images. These images show the RS return edge and size comparison between the two chest plates (RS on Left, WTF on Right) 

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

Have you tried imgur?  It is a free photo sharing site that most of use use since the Photobucket fiasco.  Really easy to edit, post etc.  Here is a link that may help:

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/42381-howto-post-images-in-threads-using-imgur-easy/

• Like 2

Side by side comparison of RS chest plate (left) and Walts (right)

IVrKrng.jpg

Another comparison photo of the two chest pieces

2bmsnEX.jpg

6DVMuKX.jpg

Ur6Zc3J.jpg

wNvYevv.jpg

So far I like how the walt's chest piece is smaller which I think will fit me better. This alone makes me feel a WTF might be better suited for smaller troopers. Again this might be an early assumption, this kit might still work well with bigger people.

The RS return edge starts 10mm at the ends and slims down to 5mm at the center. (see above photo)

I think today I will cut a 10mm return edge and after sanding will try and get a 9 or 8mm return edge. 

Edited by Lord_Potato

8 hours ago, justjoseph63 said:

Have you tried imgur?  It is a free photo sharing site that most of use use since the Photobucket fiasco.  Really easy to edit, post etc.  Here is a link that may help:

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/42381-howto-post-images-in-threads-using-imgur-easy/

justjoseph63, Thank you so much. I made an account and it worked! I will be using this for all of my uploads. Thank you so much for this info, this will make me be able to be as detailed as possible with my journey. 

12 hours ago, SCTrooper said:

Welcome and enjoy the build! Your RS armor fits you so well I cant imagine armor fitting better..

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Thank you! and yes, the RS fits pretty well after my rework. I am happy with my RS but during my shrinking down of various parts I started to realize/comprehend how much time most troopers put in making their armor and the pride they have for their work. I realized I wanted that experience as well. There were several times that I thought I was going to ruin my armor, so I started saving for a new kit. Eventually, I strapped everything together and the RS turned out well. Since I already had money saved for a TK and decided I wanted to make my own kit I went forward and still bought a kit.

Another thing was that the complete RS commission was very expensive. The fact that after all that money was spent I still had to buy supplies and tools to take it apart and adjust it made me a little frustrated. (By the way, I am not complaining about RS, I love them and the quality of their work. I just wished I knew that the only pieces they build to your measurements were the limbs). I formed the opinion that making your own armor is the best course of action (also cheaper). I hope I didn't bore you too much! :)

• Like 2

Never a bore, Jonathan!   Starting a build thread was an excellent idea, and something that I always recommend for new builders.  We are here to help, so never be shy about asking questions, and now that you can post photos easier we expect to see a LOT of them! :jc_doublethumbup:  They really are worth a thousand words.

Have you received your basic 501st approval/TK I.D.?  If so, I would suggest going to the link below to gain Legion Access here at the FISD:

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/16-501st-trooper-status-requests-include-link-to-your-501st-profile-in-your-request/

This will open up a lot of new forums on the main page and give you access to areas that you can't see now.  

Hopefully you are considering aiming for the higher levels (EI and Centurion) with your build to take it closer to screen accuracy.  This is much easier to do during rather than after, but be aware that some of the CRLs will be changing shortly so keep that it mind.  They will be listed in a post coming up soon.

Take your time, and best of luck on your build!

So I realized that I am at the beginning of this build and I am procrastinating a little. I just hate the idea of messing up and ruining a piece. I was assured by WTF that they offer replacement parts, which made me feel better. Anyways, I sucked it up and finished the chest (almost).

I imitated the return edges on my RS with a little added length (too be safe and to account for sanding/evening). The only part I couldn't really make a return edge is the sides of the chest near the bottom (due to how the armor came out of the mold). Refer to the first image that will be posted. Other then that the return edges seemed to come out OK, I did a light sanding and cleaned up the dust. Might sand a little more in the future to shorten the return edge at the bottom, but for now, the general cutting for this piece is done. I will also post images on how this plate looks on my compared to my RS. Also I will post images of the chest at various angles, any inputs will greatly be appreciated. 

Sp2fYAu.jpg

DbLejrr.jpg

eZVNI89.jpg

Nnog6l4.jpg

PNQD0sb.jpg

rCodJCU.jpg

qjNWS0N.jpg

m5oKfFJ.jpg

XYqFO7M.jpg

Walt's chest piece on me:

gNmMnYZ.jpg

RS chest pieces on me:

MAfIyfv.jpg

8 hours ago, justjoseph63 said:

Never a bore, Jonathan!   Starting a build thread was an excellent idea, and something that I always recommend for new builders.  We are here to help, so never be shy about asking questions, and now that you can post photos easier we expect to see a LOT of them! :jc_doublethumbup:  They really are worth a thousand words.

Have you received your basic 501st approval/TK I.D.?  If so, I would suggest going to the link below to gain Legion Access here at the FISD:

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/16-501st-trooper-status-requests-include-link-to-your-501st-profile-in-your-request/

This will open up a lot of new forums on the main page and give you access to areas that you can't see now.  

Hopefully you are considering aiming for the higher levels (EI and Centurion) with your build to take it closer to screen accuracy.  This is much easier to do during rather than after, but be aware that some of the CRLs will be changing shortly so keep that it mind.  They will be listed in a post coming up soon.

Thank you again! and yes, I was approved by my Garrison and I have a TK ID, I will follow the link you provided and link my 501st profile. You are already a great help. 

Looking good so far, sir.  If I could offer one piece of advice, it would be to post photos of most areas before final fitting/gluing.  This especially important for areas like the forearms, biceps and thigh tops, and here is why:

Although many troopers like the "thicker" look of some armor pieces and choose to keep a lot of the return edges intact, I am not a fan of them in most areas.  What I have seen many times is this scenario-

The edges are kept on on the thigh tops (or forearms/biceps).  After wearing it a time or two they find that the edges dig into or chafe the bejeezus out of them.  But, if they are removed afterward they are way too loose.  The original armor had most of them removed, as seen in the pics below.  Note how the tops of your RS thighs are, and follow that for your present build.

Just something to keep in mind.  Keep the photos coming!

dqzYpb4.jpg?1  g62JLQV.jpg?1

• Like 1

15 hours ago, justjoseph63 said:

Thank you again! and yes, I was approved by my Garrison and I have a TK ID, I will follow the link you provided and link my 501st profile. You are already a great help. 

Shoulder Bells........

DrOmJbO.jpg

Firstly, I would like to show some side by side comparisons with my RS shoulder

EETjApC.jpg

cMCexCg.jpg

Wy4rlNA.jpg

iaiyrDU.jpg

7dckq1w.jpg

So all I have done so far was rough cut them out of the excess plastic.......if you look at closely at the edges I just cut, you can see the edge starting to "curve" that's how close I tried to cut to what I assumed was the mold line. 

lujJnyI.jpg

Mosu8dE.jpg

I really don't know how to proceed. I want to cut a nice even edge on the shoulder bells and I can't really imitate what my RS has since the Walt's is a lot smaller. Heres what the CRL says about bells:

• One on each shoulder.
  • The shoulders are considered effectively symmetrical.
  • They may be worn interchangeably on the left and right shoulders
  • Shoulders have a black elastic strap that wraps around the inside of the bicep. 

OPTIONAL Level two certification (if applicable):
OPTIONAL Level three certification (if applicable):
  • There should be a minimal gap between the shoulder armor and the chest/back plates.

I'm going to snoop around and see if I can get any ideas to cut/trim the bells...

vgUJxpr.jpg

So far I have not cut any further nor will I cut any further until I either find out more info or I am graciously informed of a good way to proceed. As of now, the image above is what I have in mind........To use a measuring tape a guide for a straight line, trace the edge of the measuring tape with a pencil/dry erase marker, and cut the line I drew.

ONE IMPORTANT QUESTION!!!!! Before I trim the shoulder bells, should I have the chest and back pieces put together and see how the shoulder bell will look/fit?

Edited by Lord_Potato

6 hours ago, justjoseph63 said:

Looking good so far, sir.  If I could offer one piece of advice, it would be to post photos of most areas before final fitting/gluing.  This especially important for areas like the forearms, biceps and thigh tops, and here is why:

Although many troopers like the "thicker" look of some armor pieces and choose to keep a lot of the return edges intact, I am not a fan of them in most areas.  What I have seen many times is this scenario-

The edges are kept on on the thigh tops (or forearms/biceps).  After wearing it a time or two they find that the edges dig into or chafe the bejeezus out of them.  But, if they are removed afterward they are way too loose.  The original armor had most of them removed, as seen in the pics below.  Note how the tops of your RS thighs are, and follow that for your present build.

Just something to keep in mind.  Keep the photos coming!

dqzYpb4.jpg?1  g62JLQV.jpg?1

Thank you, I will take that into consideration. I personally don't care for most return edges. The only return edges I would like to try and make are for the chest, bottom back, and top kidney. That's all I intend to do and I will also be sanding down the return edges on my chest plate since you showed me how little they actually were on screen :). Thanks for the feed back.  

I would leave as much of the length as you can.   

"ONE IMPORTANT QUESTION!!!!! Before I trim the shoulder bells, should I have the chest and back pieces put together and see how the shoulder bell will look/fit?"

It couldn't hurt, but since the Walt's bells look wider than the RS bells (a good thing) you should have no problems.  The main points you want are to have the tops of the bells sit next to (or very close to) the shoulder bridges and make sure that they rides close to the bicep as seen below.  Otherwise you can get that "linebacker" look, lol.

BbwCVz6.jpg?1

You can trim off as much of the return edges on the bottom as you like (or need to) as noted in the reference image below:

QBYQQ7M.jpg?1

Lastly, note that Walt's bells have the signature "swoop" on the bottom of the ridge.  These should face forward, but is not a requirement at any level.

Yours                                   Reference image                                   Screen capture

6Ku7Et1.jpg?1  jfsrcMw.jpg?1  k9NHiix.jpg?1

So I looked at cricket's build thread for her RS build and her shoulder bells are the same measurements as my RS (12 inches from the bottom of the spine up to the end edge of the spine going up the shoulder bells and a little over 5 for width on each side ( starting at the edge of the spine and going to the end/side ). Sha Sha who has a wonderful build thread for a WTF kit mentioned she did the same thing but the WTF is at least an inch shorter than RS, so maybe she meant she copied the 5 inches wide on each side part. Anyways, I think I will put off the shoulder bells aside and decide how much to trim once I get to the point where I can see how it will look with my biceps armor and actually placing it on my shoulder.

The image below shows where I intend to cut (about 5 1/4 inches from the edge of the spine outward. 

aVWbLrp.jpg

Did a rough cut out of my back plate. Lots of return edge left but most of that or maybe all of it will be cut away as I get further in my build. Just trying to get most of the excess material off.

So as for width, the WTF seems a little narrower than RS but is taller than RS

pZweerT.jpg

l4VzHQA.jpg

The kidney and butt plate come as one piece. So the top of the butt and the bottom kidney do not have return edges. As of now I do not intend to recreate the return edges. I am not a fan of certain return edges on some of the armor pieces digging into me. I do think it is a cool skill to learn and have experience in and might be important, so my utmost respect for Cricket's sharing of her success and how to make return edges. 

Aa6Pfa0.jpg

dn0EyPo.jpg

Here are the pieces I have pretty much cut out of all the excess plastic (the only thing left to do on these are reducing the return edges on some and removing the return edges on others.

HtAv7R6.jpg

So I do appreciate the original strapping system that my RS came in but one I disassembled my armor for my refitting, I put it back together using snaps. I like this so much better. For me, the less small metal parts to worry about the better. I tend to sweat more than the average trooper and sweat is a no-no when it comes to metal. CORROSION! as most of you already know, out sweat contains salt making it an electrolyte which is the main source for corrosion (technically, in naval aviation corrosion requires: an anode, a cathode, contact between anode and cathode and electrolyte). Anyways, what's important is that electrolyte is making contact and causing corrosion. My little screws on my strapping system and in my helmet started to rust. My snaps have not corroded yet and I believe the main reason is that it is easier to wipe down/clean than all the tiny screws throughout your armor. So I would recommend using snaps if you tend to sweat more than the average human. 

As of now I am just trying to get my forearms sorted out the right way. I showed this image to one of the admin people in Walt's facebook page (he was the one I paid for the WTF kit and offered to help me with any questions I had). He said it "looks right". I wish I had a more concrete answer than "looks right" but I feel the curve of the armor helps indicate what side it is supposed to reside. I would appreciate any inputs. 

ypgzNp2.jpg

zghoP3e.jpg

27zBWYR.jpg

On 4/2/2019 at 3:25 AM, Lord_Potato said:

So far I have not cut any further nor will I cut any further until I either find out more info or I am graciously informed of a good way to proceed.

When trimming the bells I suggest doing so with a curve and not straight. That´s how the originals were cut and if you look at the RS kit you can see that is does in fact have a curve to it. That will help minimize any eventuall gap between the bells and the chest and back plates:salute:

594Jy01.png

• Like 1

I went ahead and trimmed the left side forearms

I measured 16mm across the outboard cover strip and a 17mm cover strip in the inboard portion of my RS left forearm. So I decided to cut the flat pieces on my forearms (where the cover strip goes) to a 10mm width for now on each side, which should allow for a 20mm cover strip if I need it. (which I doubt)

bH3FWym.jpg

5oIFHdw.jpg

SZFRcWu.jpg

Most of the return edge is gone for the forward part (will remove all of it since I am trying to go centurian) and both sides of the inner part have a 10mm flat edge and the out part only has the top part with a 10mm flat edge. The bottom part is all curved so I didn't know where to cut it, so I left it alone for now 

C4mYxOn.jpg

Putting the armor on was interesting, I knew it was not going to be a perfect fit, but I assumed pieces will almost always be larger. The inner forearm is actually snug (and I have small arms)

0JWqhSM.jpg

HLZnrpz.jpg

It looks like I will have to do some reshaping with either hot water or heat gun. I drew some arrows on how I intend to reshape the left forearm.

rHPZswp.jpg

sbokMLF.jpg

Here is a pic on how its aligning but not well enough for the shape of my forearm

mEz9Exy.jpg

It's getting late so a might try reshaping tomorrow. 

5 hours ago, TheSwede said:

When trimming the bells I suggest doing so with a curve and not straight. That´s how the originals were cut and if you look at the RS kit you can see that is does in fact have a curve to it. That will help minimize any eventuall gap between the bells and the chest and back plates:salute:

594Jy01.png

Thank you, and after looking at my RS it does curve outwards! I always thought it was an illusion due to the armor getting wider. Thank you for the information. When I get back to the bells I will try and implement the curve.