Paine's ESB WTF'S Build

Paine1031

Hey all!

BBB day has finally come! I've been super excited for this day to happen. I decided to do a build thread cause well.....I know I will need alot of help with the build. I also have my E-11 going as well and have taken a break to make my first cuts. I know if don't do it right away fear will set in even more. So here we go! I took everything out and laid it out trying to process the whole idea of this build. The only thing not in the picture is the bag of screws, the green lens for the eyes and the stack of abs given for the cover strips ( this is a huge stack). I'm happy he was able to send so much extra as i would like to do inside cover strips. I also will need to shim the kidney plate as I'm going to build to centurion (hopefully)

VB3zDXE.jpg

• Like 1

So started with thermal caps and I will need to clean them up a bit

YfA7hfM.jpg

I them moved to the forearm, of course this is where my first question comes up. I know I need to clear out the return edge all the way down on the wrist area but on the other side. I have alot to go

7CvbBWK.jpg

Ive read for depth that i should leave some. Is this something I should be worrying about now or should I clear it now?

boa9jF9.jpg

BTW meet Roscoe I'm sure he will be in a lot of pictures....He likes to help

I worked on the forearms again this morning clearing a lot more out of the returned. I also trimmed the edges do the mold lines are going. Currently these are huge on me so I will need to work on sizing them for my arm. I believe the cover strip for the forearm is 15mm? Walt def leaves a ton of room for anyone with a bigger arm, this is my first kit so I dont know if this a common thing. At my first glace I do think I will have to shorten them but ill post pic later on that. 

at5aPyR.jpg

wrist return- These have not been sanded yet just cut. Should I clear more? one side I can see form the picture 

7oBlm2x.jpg

BzOMODB.jpg

I pulled out the biceps to see how these should line up. I think I have them correctly? 

LEWCUQt.jpg

27 minutes ago, Paine1031 said:

I believe the cover strip for the forearm is 15mm?

If wanting to be in keeping with the movie suits a general rule of thumb for the cover strips are:

15-17mm arms

20-22mm thighs and front of shins

25mm back of shins

And I just thought I should mention that the screen-used biceps didn´t have any flat joining surface so If you have room to trim them off I suggest you do so for some added ANH-magic:)

1 hour ago, Paine1031 said:

wrist return- These have not been sanded yet just cut. Should I clear more?

Yes.

1 hour ago, Paine1031 said:

I think I have them correctly? 

Looks like it:duim:

Here´s some rererence to go along with what I said:salute:

GQnR36h.png

Just don't make them too small, I have mine cut to the standard sized cover strips but I do have a lot of room left, I decided to add a little foam inside rather than making them too small as they may have not matched the rest of the armor. I would suggest adding some tape and trying all your arm pieces on at the same time to make sure everything looks consistent ;) 

17 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Just don't make them too small, I have mine cut to the standard sized cover strips but I do have a lot of room left, I decided to add a little foam inside rather than making them too small as they may have not matched the rest of the armor. I would suggest adding some tape and trying all your arm pieces on at the same time to make sure everything looks consistent ;) 

This is my plan a bit later. Thanks for the tips!

22 minutes ago, TheSwede said:

If wanting to be in keeping with the movie suits a general rule of thumb for the cover strips are:

15-17mm arms

20-22mm thighs and front of shins

25mm back of shins

And I just thought I should mention that the screen-used biceps didn´t have any flat joining surface so If you have room to trim them off I suggest you do so for some added ANH-magic:)

Yes.

Looks like it:duim:

Here´s some rererence to go along with what I said:salute:

GQnR36h.png

Ty for the pics they are a big help!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheSwede said:

Movie-Troopers had slim biceps, here´s a good look to aim for:duim: They should however be able to move freely up and down so don´t make them too tight.

LK43P4m.png

byNYOxG.png

soRvnEq.jpg

It looks like alot of the top forearm is removed as well. Leaving maybe 5mm?

Around 5mm is fine for biceps, you can take off more if you need too. All the return edge on the bottom of shins can be removed, otherwise they will dig into the boots ;) 

If you get stuck just check a few of the other WTF build threads, you'll normally find answers to most common questions in them

• 11 months later...

Hey all

It been a long time but I thought I would post an update on my build. It been slow going and at times I've avoided working on it. I have done some things but still have a ways to go before submitting. I have all of the limb cut to size and taped expect for the thighs, it was suggested that I leave them for last to get them sized right. My trunk pieces had all been trimmed down and sanded, I may have to adjust the returns. I've also cut out all the boxes & buttons. Over the next couple of night I will get the trunk pieces fit as I'm going to a build party this weekend and hopefully can get some tips on how it fits in person before I start gluing. My cover strips have been cut already and I have extra for shimming sides or if I need more.

There is still a number of things I have to trim or cut

ABS belt, thigh ammo pack, trim down the hands a bit more, finish my helmet, return edge on kidney & butt plate and complete my thermal detonator ( it was being drying outside when i took this pic). There is more I'm sure I can't think of right now. Anyways here it is all placed out.

030ocLE.jpg?1

• Like 1

On 3/4/2020 at 12:46 PM, Paine1031 said:
Here is the picture of the face of the helmet. I'm wondering if I need to take more out of the teeth & eyes. 

ayguSz1.jpg?1&key=79344a69cfa2bb23a672b43deada5fbaa3d24499dbb3b4c21b557e7e928b7369

Hey trooper,

The eyes look okay so far. If you can, try taking pics from front, left and right, ideally from a few feet back. (Helps is gauge the proportions better than close ups).

Best tip I could give here is using a free smart phone app like LiveCollage. This will allow you to compare your progress with screen used helmets*.

Here’s an example - this is one of my builds compared with a screen used helmet during my build.

--------------

I used the reference photo as an initial cutting guide, then took photos of the helmet (from a few feet back). Then put the two images together using the app. To me, this is the best way to monitor your progress.

* see starwarshelmets.com or the FISD image gallery for good screen shots.

Hope that helps a little. :-)

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Paine1031 said:

There is still a number of things I have to trim or cut

ABS belt, thigh ammo pack, trim down the hands a bit more, finish my helmet, return edge on kidney & butt plate and complete my thermal detonator ( it was being drying outside when i took this pic). There is more I'm sure I can't think of right now. Anyways here it is all placed out.

Hi Tina, you're doing a great work, take your time, step by step and keep on posting your advance an get so useful tips here.

The first part of an armor build is the most challenging cause everything needs to fit the best as possible . trimming and return edges are always critical i think.

I would like to suggest you to  check the following forum post, I'm sure it's going to be so useful as it has been to me.

Cheers,  :salute:

Edited by TKSpartan