First build- ANH Stunt

Acidedge

Well since my armor is ordered and shipped I figured I should go ahead and start my build thread. 

I’m doing and ANH stunt with AM 4.5 (scheduled to be delivered on Tuesday). I’m going for centurion from the start. Already have the undersuit and gloves, and I ordered the neck seal and holster from Darmans. 

Still need to to order the boots (getting them from IB on next wave in April) and trying to decide on making my own belt or ordering one once the upper half of the armor is done. 

Bucket electronics:

I already have tiny microphones that will be going in the ears and ordered the speaker hovi tips from Ukswrath. I’m going to get a tiny voice amp and earbuds for the hearing aid, fans for cooling, and want to run it all on a portable cell phone battery charger. I was planning on getting a ROM/FX unit for the other voice amp, but after doing research I found out they are closed down, so now I’m looking into the icomm and Aker setup. My only issue with this is I really want everything in the bucket, making it all self contained. Work in progress (open to other options that will still give the feedback effects of the icomm or ROM/FX). 

Looking forward to this first build and finally making the dream come true. I’m hoping to get it done and approved by August (want to get special license plates for my car with my TK number) but if not then by Halloween. Not going to push it though, as my primary goal is getting centurion and taking my time to do it right. 

• Like 2

Have fun! 

Make sure you have all of your supplies for your build:

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/31404-supply-list-for-your-tk-build/

Ans set up your IMGUR account so you can post images:
https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/42381-howto-post-images-in-threads-using-imgur-easy/

Here's a handy reference link for many common questions:

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/41016-billgrams-the-one-stop-shop/

And don't forget about the reference images:
https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/gallery/

Post lots.  We're all here to help.

6 hours ago, Digz Graavz said:

Have fun! 

Make sure you have all of your supplies for your build:

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/31404-supply-list-for-your-tk-build/

Ans set up your IMGUR account so you can post images:
https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/42381-howto-post-images-in-threads-using-imgur-easy/

Here's a handy reference link for many common questions:

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/41016-billgrams-the-one-stop-shop/

And don't forget about the reference images:
https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/gallery/

Post lots.  We're all here to help.

Thanks Digz! I’ve been going on the build supply list, and have almost everything. Still need the lexon scissors and the parts for the strapping. Planning on doing the helmet first, so still have a little time to get the rest of the supplies. Going to use E-6000 ain’t it’s my first build.

Didnt know about the IMGUR account, thanks for the info! 

• Like 1

Whew what a weeks it’s been. BBB came in Tuesday. So I spent the evening on Tuesday getting started on the helmet (although I miss aligned the right side of the face slightly, which caused the right ear not to line up) and luckily only using screws instead of rivets. 

3zz89kZ.jpg

Kj82IRV.jpg

I spent my free time on Wednesday doing more research and looking over it, and made more of a plan.

Thursday’s time was more cautious. I disassembled the whole helmet, added plastidip and did the paint on the frown and vocoder.  I decided to brush on the plastidip as I’m afraid of the overspray with the spray version, and I did have a little clean up to do after, but it peeled right off after using an exacto knife to cut out the area I was removing from the edges. Overall a pretty good day, plan on putting it back together tomorrow (slower this time) and get it all lined up better.

6R4sJh4.jpg

Snbt2kR.jpg

TMtrtGl.jpg

• Like 1

Build day 3-

Overall a pretty productive day. Took a bit more time to get everything lined up when I put the helmet back together, and also realized there was trimming I needed to do on the right ear. I took a little to much off, but I think it will work ok since the screen helmets had some gaps anyway. Got the tube stripes, s-trim and the padding put in. Still need to do some adjusting with the padding, right now it’s sitting a bit high making it even harder to see, but that’s part of the deal too. Thinking about adding a chin strap to help hold everything in place as well, but we’ll see. Tomorrow I’ll get the ears painted, and look at getting the mesh behind the frown done. On that topic- what’s the recommended method for attaching the from mesh? It came with some that’s a plastic material.

M1my8Wz.jpg

CObP5Cg.jpg

lP4Wum1.jpg

KKcpewZ.jpg

MxRZHTK.jpg

• Like 1

Day 4- another productive day. Finished the paint on the helmet and put in the frown mesh. Aside from all the electronics (still have to get them) helmet I think should be done for now. I know the angle of the ears isn’t what it should be, but going to save that issue for another time when I have more experience. 

Jn9Xmr9.jpg

XLFUUwV.jpg

next I started to move on to the arms. I started working on the right arm first. Had to do a bit of trimming since the AM is made to fit large troopers. I went with small cuts at a time, tape them together, test fit, remeasure, rinse and repeat. In the end I got the forearm and the bicep trimmed to fit cover strips all cut, and glued the inside cover strips on. Using E-6000 for the entire build, not wanting to take a chance on the zap a gap just yet being so new. After work tomorrow I’ll be gluing the other parts of the arm together, and then Monday I’ll get the outer cover strips on. It feels great to see it start to take shape. 

UM5a9F7.jpg

• Like 1

Nice work, you do have a little bit of a gap on your right ear, although a gap is acceptable it is a little uneven, if you sand down some of the area shown green below this will reduce the gap, you may then be able to sand the uneven edge and get a better appearance.

WSwTkeY.png

• Like 1

Been a busy week so far. I’ve been working on the forearms and biceps here and there when I can. While waiting for each strip to dry I’m wanting to get started on the torso.  

As I’m test fitting, looking for how it all fits, I noticed the the chest doesn’t seem to be sitting even. If I have it centered with the an plate, it’s not even on the sides, and the pec muscle in the chest isn’t even, a little lopsided. First question: is this normal with AM armor? Next question is how much of the shoulders should I trim back? Right now the chest and back shoulders overlap, and I know it needs something of a gap, but how much?

(sorry the camera angle isn’t great)

8juv7xI.jpg

hCKmmjO.jpg

S7AuNcn.jpg

15 hours ago, Acidedge said:

the chest doesn’t seem to be sitting even. If I have it centered with the an plate, it’s not even on the sides, and the pec muscle in the chest isn’t even, a little lopsided. First question: is this normal with AM armor? Next question is how much of the shoulders should I trim back?

Not an issue on the sides, look at the photos in centurion submissions. Thing to remember is the kit is "one size fits all", but you have to make it fit you - if that is trimming or adding shims. You are doing the testing correct with always wearing the undersuit.

For the shoulders, this is what I did:

Get the ab and back together. Then attach the back plate. Placing the front to the ab so the spacing is correct (the reveal), then I could see how the tabs between the two needed to be cut. You will have to adjust and cut them. I had to heat bend mine to get them to lay over, then I worked on the amount on each side to cut.

0fPBxny.jpg

In this photo, I was not wearing my undersuit (bad TK!), everything was taped so it was always moving around. Make sure to use gaffers tape if you can, that will help. The back piece was not pulled all the way up (as I didn't know I would have to heat bend the tabs to better fit).

2XlTrpQ.jpg

Keep up the good work and ask questions, we need more troopers for the empire!

Edited by LTM

Busy day so didn’t get as much done as I wanted. I made some snap plates that will attach the butt and kidney plates (using elastic instead of scrap abs). Also had to repair a small crack on the return edge of the butt plate. Don’t have pics of them yet, but I’ll get them up soon. The crack was small and still only on the return edge, so I used some ca glue to hold it together, and put a small piece of scrap abs along the actual plate to make sure it won’t go anywhere (e-6000 for that one). 

Next I turned to my last forearm, did a hot water bath to get it to close better, and glued the last inner strip on to close it. Will add outer cover strips in a day or two. 

This is before the bath:

zpeNBOq.jpg

and after gluing:

7XdrpLH.jpg

also got the elastic glued onto the shoulder bells. 

Did some one work on the td as well. Trimmed down the caps to 3/4”, glued on the control panel and glued on some elastic to the inside of one cap. The other cap and end of the elastic got some snaps, so I can feed it through, hold the caps on tight and still hold something inside. At the moment I’m thinking the key for my husky box I’ll be using for the armor, but we’ll see.  Now just waiting for the td clips to come in from Ukswrath (tomorrow probably)

mmDRDhu.jpg

BOdjOoE.jpg

Going to to keep working on the torso over the next week or so, working my way upwards so I can have everything in place. Think my next step will be the strapping between the butt and kidney. Planning on starting with elastic straps, but might end up switching to nylon if i need to. From there I’ll do the ab plate, and then the chest and back. 

Just one thing with your snaps the way they are, they do have a habit of releasing when connected on an angle, I'd suggest adding another angles of abs on both ends so there is not angled pulling ;) 

I did a similar thing with my TD only using Velco.

arm33.jpg

4 minutes ago, Acidedge said:

Also- got my blaster kit in today from doopydoos. Anyone know if it is good enough to be approved out of the box or if I would have to get the finishing kit for it?

Is it the do it yourself pipe kit or full resin kit? the do it yourself is missing a few items but the full resin should be fine for 501st approval

Hiya,

The doopydoos kit is really good and will be fine for clearance (if done correctly). If you DID want to upgraded some bits, it’s very rewarding. The magazine is the most inaccurate part as it is very small. If you were looking to upgrade this a bit, that’s where I’d out a few dollars.

Here’s the doopy’s mag versus a more accurate one. The bottom pic is a resin mag from Imperial Warfighters (UK).

ee8b7bd32310a0114a7f536dff4b2968.jpg

Keep up the great work. :-)

Dan

So I got started with the elastic snap connections, and realized off of other photos that the posterior plate does not line up evenly on the sides with the kidney plate on most, and mine does. 

l4byLfo.jpg

Since I already have the snap parts glued in, I was thinking about taking off the 1” - 1 1/2” extra from the outside of where the snaps are glued. It would be the blue tape area in these pics: 

uH8Gkpf.jpg

73UrvTp.jpg

Any thoughts? I know I’d need to smooth out the bottom of the cut to round it off a little on each side also. 

Next question: how much room do I need for the part between the legs, as mine is quite long and needs to be trimmed. Do I leave just enough room for the two male snaps? 

oIGnGNP.jpg

While waiting for that input going to work on the ab plate to kidney connections, and possibly the kidney to back connection. 

Hi Mark,

first I would remove a lot of the return edge, leave about 4-5mm, this will give the butt plate a little more flex so it wraps around or fits you better.

Once you have done that you can work on how much of that extra tab to remove, but I dare say most if not all of it will go. The main reason AM kits have it is to suit larger troopers and you look to be of a close to standard size build so I see no necessity for you needing it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sly11 said:

Hi Mark,

first I would remove a lot of the return edge, leave about 4-5mm, this will give the butt plate a little more flex so it wraps around or fits you better.

Once you have done that you can work on how much of that extra tab to remove, but I dare say most if not all of it will go. The main reason AM kits have it is to suit larger troopers and you look to be of a close to standard size build so I see no necessity for you needing it.

Makes sense. What about the sides?