CRL Ranting

heartstopper85

I guess the CRL is under review, but after being told that should have been acceptable by others and my bad from new staff members on an issue with troopers ab boxes I think it's time for all of us as a community to work to make a better CRL.

The CRL should not be decided by people that don't even have an FOTK done, it should be a community driven tool that is accurate. I was told lots of things were assumed just to get approvals knocked out. But we now have a wealth of resources from all the movies so far.

So let's discuss and remain civil, this is mostly a reminder to myself because I'm still mad that even after showing supporting evidence my leadership said there was "nothing they could do until the CRL was changed"

• Like 2

1 hour ago, heartstopper85 said:

I guess the CRL is under review, but after being told that should have been acceptable by others and my bad from new staff members on an issue with troopers ab boxes I think it's time for all of us as a community to work to make a better CRL.

The CRL should not be decided by people that don't even have an FOTK done, it should be a community driven tool that is accurate. I was told lots of things were assumed just to get approvals knocked out. But we now have a wealth of resources from all the movies so far.

So let's discuss and remain civil, this is mostly a reminder to myself because I'm still mad that even after showing supporting evidence my leadership said there was "nothing they could do until the CRL was changed"

While we (honestly) appreciate your views, Dustin, at the moment (with a few exceptions) the D.O. staff are bound to follow what is written in the CRLs which we know are ever evolving so we are not "dismissing" your evidence.   Details that may have been missed when they were initially composed are noticed, which is why we are in the process of performing updates.

Please realize that updating the CRLs is not a simple task, and that those doing so are volunteers, so things take time.  

We will be doing the CRL updates in "batches", with OT TKs coming first, as those make up the vast majority of level 2 and 3 approvals.  Immediately after those updates are approved and posted, we will be starting on FO TKs.

We have several troopers who are current FO TKs (including one or our LMOs) that have an incredible working knowledge of these costumes who will be advising on prospective changes when that time comes, so yes, we DO have FO TKs who will be involved.

At some point during the proposed changes there will be a discussion opened up for all members to contribute, and I hope your voice will be one of those.

Also, consider that we are the largest Detachment in the 501st, and therefore the D.O.s have 19 TK costumes within the FISD that they are expected to approve at higher levels.  No one can honestly be expected to be an expert in every single one, so they depend on the CRLs to supply this information.  As a former D.O., I can assure you that they certainly try, though.

In closing, bear with us, voice your opinion when the time comes, and know that it will be heard and considered.  I promise you that.

• Like 1

Not sure I fully understand the issue but this D.O team har yet to receive an FOTK application for EIB or Centurion and for what it´s worth I have an EIB cleared FOTK:salute: (would be Centurion if I had received the latex gaskets)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, heartstopper85 said:

CRL's are always evolving TFA and TLJ are ones on the list for changes BUT there has been a backlog from other CRL's which should have been updated. by now so they are a little bogged down.

You'd be surprised what some can pick up with not even having a particular costume for a CRL, it really depends on how much research they do. Others don't seem to want to provide images for what ever reason until it suits them, this is seen on a lot of occasions even with 40 year old references.

TKC went under review last year and was open to comment and suggestions, as was ANH and ROTJ but all takes time.

Wrong. you can take it up with the LMO team if you believe there is something wrong in the CRL, they have to power to over rule your GML and GCO you just need to provide screen evidence ;) 

• Like 3

The issue was a trooper i was helping red box pic. The two pics in yellow are screen suits. And the last pic is my mimic kit which also has gaps

I suppose I'm freaking out a bit because if we are gonna be this nit picky. I'm doomed on my mimic kit and I wait for years to the "most screen accurate" fotk. And new gml wont budge on the "needs to be flush" when the screen suits would also fail 501st5b051a5b42ed45bbb197606068062a80.jpg5771e3f5f31664a61cb6aee02f383673.jpg5c5247ffae88887c4362fe87605b5e93.jpg2ab3294de4377d920f633ff8034f4117.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

OK, the CRL was written before that info got known and the CRL pic has abs-pasted the seam. If you do as Q suggested you have a strong case in getting approval. Hopefully there will be a new wording were both are acceptable - ab boxes are flush to the abdomen with or without a  visible seam - or something similar so you can go either way, screen accurate or idealised. Atleast I think so.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, heartstopper85 said:

I have a FOTK and I was also one of the contributors and I can swear the CRL used to state There is no seam between the Ab and Ab boxes. We've known from the very beginning there is no seam. This is clearly an oversite.

Edited by ukswrath

44 minutes ago, heartstopper85 said:

I'm not abs pasting my mimic kit lol

That thing is fully finished. So how does one get lmo approval on that?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

A staff member should open a CRL discussion thread to discuss the matter. Regardless of the outcome it will take a little while.

Hey @heartstopper85 I've been following your approval post since it was posted to the GML thread by your GML.  Our CRL is certainly using old information, and that should not tie up your approval.

The FOTK CRL updates are definitely on the block for updates this year, and we're going to be having several folks with deep knowledge of the screen used kits helping to contribute references and suggestions.  Trust me, we're well aware they need a refresher!

If possible, to help your specific case, can you email me (sarah.katherine.bailey@gmail.com) and your GML to open a dialogue between us?

4 hours ago, Alay said:

...we're going to be having several folks with deep knowledge of the screen used kits helping to contribute references and suggestions.  

Can't wait to contribute.

• Like 2