TK-92716

Future TK in Charlotte NC, In memorium

A very good friend of mine passed away almost 2 years ago. His name was Ward Godwin and was working to become a part of Talon Clan for the mando mercs.  I didn’t know a lot about this group at the time but he had been spending a great deal of time with these guys and I felt like they deserved to hear the news.

They thanked me for letting them know and that was that. Until 4 of them showed up to stand at attention at his casket during his funeral. That’s what made me wonder exactly what it was that they did and what they stood for.  After speaking with a couple of the members, I found out about their charitable contributions and all of the amazing things that they did.

They informed me that they were a part of several groups that they were involved with, the 501st being the largest and that they sometimes overlap. The costuming seemed a little restricted to me in the mercs ( for obvious reasons) but I did like how the stormtroopers looked. 

Two weeks after Wards funeral, I ordered a TK suit.  Knowing that they sometimes take a while, I waited. And waited. And waited.  To the point to where I completely forgot about the suit. And then this time of year rolled around to where ward was on my mind. 

A month ago ago I called the supplier to see what was up with no real success, and after some back and forth I got a refund. I am now currently waiting on another suit from WTF and am extremely excited to be a part of this amazing community that my friend was a part of.  Because of him I wouldn’t have known what it is that this group does. And I will always be grateful for that.  

So this is Derek saying hello and thank you guys for being an inspiration in so many ways. 

• Like 10

Hey Derek sorry for your loss brother. The entire FISD family is here to help you complete your armor build when you're ready. Feel free to reach out to any of us if you have questions or concerns.

• Like 1

Welcome Derek.

Hopefully, out of the sadness of losing your friend, you can bring smiles and hope to others when you join the Garrison.

Welcome to the family. :-)

Dan

• Like 1

Hello Derek,

Welcome to FISD. Touching story on how you get inspired to join.

Hope you will find our charitable mission a meaningful one, and it's going to be the best way to remember your friend.

Edited by giskard8
  • Like 1

Hi Derek sorry to hear about your friend.....you joining us is a great way in honoring his memory. Like Dan said - welcome to the family:)

• Like 1

Welcome to the home of shiny white armor, Derek.  Losing a friend is never easy, but joining the 501st is a way of honoring his memory and love of Star Wars costuming.

Sorry to hear about your last TK armor order, but with some makers this happens.  WTF makes a fantastic set of armor and his reputation on here is sterling.  We are here to help every step of the way, so always feel free to ask any questions you may have (no matter how small).

While you are waiting for your kit, I would suggest combing through some of the build threads here to get better acquainted with how things are done.  I have included a link to this section and a few others below.

I would also recommend getting the supplies you will need for your build.  Better to have them on hand than to have to scramble around during it.

Lastly, if you want to build toward close screen accuracy I would suggest checking out the EI/Centurion area.  It's much easier to do this during construction rather than after.

Best of luck, and don't be a stranger here on the FISD!

Build threads:   https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/80-anh-build-threads/

Supply list:  https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/31404-supply-list-for-your-tk-build/

EI/Centurion info.:  https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/35371-eib-and-centurion-what-do-these-terms-mean/

Hi Derek!  We are happy to help you with your TK build from WTF (mine is also a WTF but really they all go together pretty much the same way)

Feel free to ask lots of questions and post pictures when you start your build.  Walt is great at getting you replacements for when you do have an oops moment so do not be afraid it is only plastic :) 

Welcome to a larger weird family of plastic spacemen and spacewomen! 

Welcome to the FISD. Derek.  As mentioned above, this really is like a family.  Good luck on your build - and enjoy your TK journey!

Sorry for your loss, welcome to FISD, looking forward to seeing your build thread soon.

Hello and Welcome to FISD.

Sorry for your loss, hope you can get your TK Kit soon and build. 

We are here to help you. and you can reach Attache or Garrison within your area. 

Welcome aboard Derek, you are in good hands here my friend :)

Welcome to FISD!  I think it's beautiful that you're continuing with costuming :) If you need any help just ask, this community is full of amazing folks willing to help!

On 3/14/2019 at 10:52 PM, Helmshandcrafted said:

A very good friend of mine passed away almost 2 years ago. His name was Ward Godwin and was working to become a part of Talon Clan for the mando mercs.  I didn’t know a lot about this group at the time but he had been spending a great deal of time with these guys and I felt like they deserved to hear the news.

They thanked me for letting them know and that was that. Until 4 of them showed up to stand at attention at his casket during his funeral. That’s what made me wonder exactly what it was that they did and what they stood for.  After speaking with a couple of the members, I found out about their charitable contributions and all of the amazing things that they did.

They informed me that they were a part of several groups that they were involved with, the 501st being the largest and that they sometimes overlap. The costuming seemed a little restricted to me in the mercs ( for obvious reasons) but I did like how the stormtroopers looked. 

Two weeks after Wards funeral, I ordered a TK suit.  Knowing that they sometimes take a while, I waited. And waited. And waited.  To the point to where I completely forgot about the suit. And then this time of year rolled around to where ward was on my mind. 

A month ago ago I called the supplier to see what was up with no real success, and after some back and forth I got a refund. I am now currently waiting on another suit from WTF and am extremely excited to be a part of this amazing community that my friend was a part of.  Because of him I wouldn’t have known what it is that this group does. And I will always be grateful for that.  

So this is Derek saying hello and thank you guys for being an inspiration in so many ways. 

Wards wife gave me permission to share a photo of her and their kids with the mando mercs/Carolina garrison members who stood by his casket. Today is the 2 year anniversary of the funeral. 

5B8D7C5E-EFC1-4647-9A7A-3938575952E9.jpeg

• Like 2

Sorry for the loss of your friend. He would probably be very happy knowing that you are doing something that he would have enjoyed,  in honor of him. Like other troopers have mentioned earlier, your are in good hands here, and willing to help when you are ready.

2 hours ago, TK-42134 said:

Sorry for the loss of your friend. He would probably be very happy knowing that you are doing something that he would have enjoyed,  in honor of him. Like other troopers have mentioned earlier, your are in good hands here, and willing to help when you are ready.

I appreciate it. I’m playing the waiting game right now. I have taken some advice from the local garrison and started working on the extras while I wait on my suit. Ordered a droopy doos kit for my hasboro blaster, a neck seal from geeky pinks gaskets, and picked up compression gear for the under suit today.

I am having trouble locating some boots though. I was referred to TK boots and I got an email from them this morning stating that they were shutting down. I also wouldn’t know where to start looking for a holster. I do leatherwork as a hobby and I guarantee I could make one but am unsure of dimensions and types of leather/rivets etc used. 

Imperialboots.com is a good alternative but only open once a month for a limited time to take orders. Then close to fulfill them. I believe they are open now. You may want to follow the instructions on that website to get a good fit. 

On the holster, look under the softgoods section. There should be info there

on holster dimensions.

Edited by TK-42134

Apr 19th is when they open again I was hoping to not wait another month to order

I may actually order some off amazon I found for $40. Just to keep the ball rolling. They’ll get basic approval but they have a seam in the front so won’t get higher than that. Order imperial boots in a month.  Also having an extra set of anything is good for a pinch

I did the same thing. I was so stoked to get approved that I bought a pair of Funtasma boots. I ended up dishing out more money for accurate boots a few months ago.

1 hour ago, TK-42134 said:

I did the same thing. I was so stoked to get approved that I bought a pair of Funtasma boots. I ended up dishing out more money for accurate boots a few months ago.

Those are the ones I was looking at. 

Hello and welcome, Derek! Mes condoléances. Glad to hear you're on your way to becoming one of us! Every smile you put on a kid's face can remind you that Ward will live on through you!

• Like 1

Welcome sir! We are glad to have another joining the ranks. And as many have said before me, we are here to help!

Doopy doos kit came in today. Starting on it tonight. What sort of glue should I use to assemble it?