Magromancer

joining the 501st

I just started researching the 501st after I saw the Outer Rim Garrison at Fan Expo Vancouver last year and this year and want to make my own Costume, I had my heart set on an ANH Stormtrooper but one of my friends in the 501st said I don’t have the right body type for it and I should instead go with one of the fabric costumes like the Imperial Crew/Trooper, only thing is that I’m not a fan of those costumes.  I really want to be a Stormtrooper but atm Im 6’ tall and about 325 pounds right now.  I’m kind of hesitant about joining the 501st right now because if I do decide to ignore my friend I’d probably never hear the end of why he doesn’t like me dressed up like a Stormtrooper.

• Like 1

I just started researching the 501st after I saw the Outer Rim Garrison at Fan Expo Vancouver last year and this year and want to make my own Costume, I had my heart set on an ANH Stormtrooper but one of my friends in the 501st said I don’t have the right body type for it and I should instead go with one of the fabric costumes like the Imperial Crew/Trooper, only thing is that I’m not a fan of those costumes.  I really want to be a Stormtrooper but atm Im 6’ tall and about 325 pounds right now.  I’m kind of hesitant about joining the 501st right now because if I do decide to ignore my friend I’d probably never hear the end of why he doesn’t like me dressed up like a Stormtrooper.
Welcome!

Well now that's not the 501st way. Your friend really should go back and research what the 501st is. Yes it might not be "easy" being a large trooper such as yourself, but I'm sure its doable. We have troopers from 5 ft tall to way over 6 ft, some in wheel chairs, some amputees, some skinny, and some heavy. If it's your dream to be a trooper work towards that. Dont let your "friend" determine what you do.

That being said I know we have a future trooper that was in your shoes. And he has currently started his WIP (work in progress). He worked hard and lost a lot of weight to the point that he was ready in his mind. Now if you decide that you want to build a TK, I would have to recommend AM armor. His kits are meant for large troopers. May take some work, but we will get you there!

I would say go to the work in progress page, and have a look around. You will be surprised at all the different shapes and sizes of troopers out there. You decide for yourself if this is something you want to do. It's your dream, you decide to live it or not. We are gonna be here for you with whatever you decide to do.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Hi Matthew and welcome to the FISD.

I can only second what Jordan already said. If you want it, go for it.

Leave any insoles out of your boots and any paddings out of your helmet to compensate your height. :)

Live your dream.  As stated, there are lots of armor/mods available.  Do some reading in the build threads and you'll come across several - Plus this community is here to help!

Have fun.

• Like 1

Agreeing with everyone here. Go for it. I didn’t think I’d look good in a Stormtrooper either, because I’m 6’2”, and was a little heavier than I am currently when I finished my kit. According to my makers website, you had to have a “mesomorph” body type. I went so far as to contact them to see if the armor would fit me if I got it. They said with modifications, it “should”. I purchased one. With encouragement from people here, and help from some friends, I was able to get through my build and live my dream of donning Stormtrooper Armor. Do what Jordan said and read up on a work in progress page, and get yourself familiar with the work that will have to be done. There are lots of great people here that are encouraging and helpful. Have fun and good luck.

You won't hear the end of it because your friend will be jealous when you are sporting a new, shiny TK kit. 

Do it!  :sith:

Welcome! May I recommend looking into AM armor. It’s made for larger people stormtroopers that like cake lol. I was at my heaviest 260 and I had trimmed quite a bit off. I think you’d be fine in this and would pass basic no problem but you can reach out to the company and see what they say.

Don’t settle for what other people think you should be, do what you want that’s what the 501st is all about. A bunch of nerds living their dream and making people happy. If you decide to proceed your in the right spot, we will help you out and you’ll get your TK numbers in no time.

AM site

http://www.tk1336.com/am.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As others have stated, your friend is, quite simply, wrong- there is no body type for a TK.   (Well, a human one.  Dogs and cats aren't currently approvable for membership).  I'm also a 6' Jawa, and we have a whole can of them in my area.  We wanted to do Jawas, they were fun, so we ran with it (sometimes literally, we steal a lot of stuff).  Don't let anything other than your own desire to do a costume hold you back from doing a costume.  

Different body types will make for different challenges when building, but all builds will have their quirks and challenges.  As @Frank75139 said, I'd also highly recommend AM.  It's great armor, plus it's much more suited for larger and/or taller troopers.  I have it (I'm 5'11'') and I absolutely love it.  It will also fit taller people, and shorter, and smaller or larger.  The trimming and potential additions of shims are really most of what's needed for height/weight adjustments.

Live the dream and don't let anyone put you off, Matthew.  We are here to help!

Hello and welcome aboard, the 501st does not discriminate on size the only issue you will have is making armor fit your frame, lots of great builds to follow for the bigger trooper, good luck and hope to see a build thread from you soon.

thanks for the advice everyone, I found somebody in the Garrison that I’m wanting to join have a build tutorial on YouTube, his YouTube Account is called Panda Props & Costumes, if I get stuck on something I can always contact him, the video series he’s doing actually is using the AM Armour for a heavier guy like myself, funny thing is though, I’ve actually lost about 40 pounds so I’m a lot skinnier than I used to be, and by the time I actually get the kit I’ll be a lot skinnier by then.

• Like 2

thanks for the advice everyone, I found somebody in the Garrison that I’m wanting to join have a build tutorial on YouTube, his YouTube Account is called Panda Props & Costumes, if I get stuck on something I can always contact him, the video series he’s doing actually is using the AM Armour for a heavier guy like myself, funny thing is though, I’ve actually lost about 40 pounds so I’m a lot skinnier than I used to be, and by the time I actually get the kit I’ll be a lot skinnier by then.

A healthier you is always best. And Panda makes good stuff, when you decide to start you should put up a build thread here so we can all watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Matt, welcome to the group. As a 200+lb trooper I can assure you that with the right kit choice, and a little bit of elbow grease you can build to Centurion level IF you build the kit to fit your body. Given the fact that you are in the Outer Rim, it only makes sense to contact Pandatrooper at RT-MOD and get the ball rolling. Maybe you can do a quick test fit with a some freshly pulled Ab and Kidney pieces to see how much you may need to shim. You can tell Aphinity to stick it, and challenge accepted. 

17 hours ago, Coastertk said:

Hey Matt, welcome to the group. As a 200+lb trooper I can assure you that with the right kit choice, and a little bit of elbow grease you can build to Centurion level IF you build the kit to fit your body. Given the fact that you are in the Outer Rim, it only makes sense to contact Pandatrooper at RT-MOD and get the ball rolling. Maybe you can do a quick test fit with a some freshly pulled Ab and Kidney pieces to see how much you may need to shim. You can tell Aphinity to stick it, and challenge accepted. 

thanks Coaster, do you know of any people that are roughly around the 330 pound range that I could see the fit of the stuff you mentioned?

19 minutes ago, Magromancer said:

thanks Coaster, do you know of any people that are roughly around the 330 pound range that I could see the fit of the stuff you mentioned?

Although I don't know his name or exact weight, here is a photo of an approved TKC trooper that will give you an idea of how armor can be made to fit anyone.  Will it require extra work?  Yep, but we can help you with any issues you may have.  If you have the desire, we have the resources!

GIY2vcl.jpg?1

14 hours ago, justjoseph63 said:

Although I don't know his name or exact weight, here is a photo of an approved TKC trooper that will give you an idea of how armor can be made to fit anyone.  Will it require extra work?  Yep, but we can help you with any issues you may have.  If you have the desire, we have the resources!

GIY2vcl.jpg?1

yeah I saw this person before actually when I was searching for people who’d be close to my weight, looking at this person and me I believe I’m a bit lighter than they are, but not entirely sure.