Painting the inside of my Helmet

I used the Plasti-dip spray. I had used the Plasti-dip liquid for years and did not (at the time) even know about the spray.  I seperated my helmet into the face plate and the bucket itself, masked off holes to prevent over spray, and put a couple of coats on.  It cuts down on internal light, reflections on my lenses, noise, rattle, and insulates. I am quite pleased I did it and do recommend it to those I help.

Edited by Shanester

I used Rustoleum 2x in glossy black.  I did this before the helmet was fully assembled, and taped off the edges and eyes with green frog tape.  I used a bit of Play Doh on the outside of the teeth to keep over spray from there (not needed if teeth aren't already cut out).

37005711325_ee7feda7b2_o.jpg

Use more tape than that, though, I had over spray.  But mineral spirits took it right off.

Definitely easier to do this while the helmet is in pieces, plus it will take time for the paint or plasti dip to de-gas and the odor to reduce and fade away, so best to do this when you know you wont be trooping for a while.

OAXDE8K.jpg

FzhWoxA.jpg

LUtSdaO.jpg

bNliRNj.jpg

PM3c8qM.jpg

6dpVl86.jpg

PbJzGPM.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Helmshandcrafted said:

This makes me anxious lol 

Just take your time, ask questions, and post pictures of your progress to get more advice. There is a lot of good advice given here in this thread on how to paint the inside of your helmet. You can do it. :) 

I find it easier to paint before trimming, less to mask, just mask the edges, I still add newspaper to the outside to make sure no overspray gets on the outside of the helmet, then I use a quick drying sating black, works great, dries quickly and doesn't reflect any light from outside.

Really not that hard ;) 

I will add, the beauty of using Plasti dip Spray is you can actually and quite easily peel it off if you did manage to get a slight over spray.

Some folks add cheese cloth with the plastidip too for some texture/weight.  Either way make sure you let it fume out a bit for a few days before putting it on... that stuff is smelly at first!

• 1 month later...
I used the Plasti-dip spray. I had used the Plasti-dip liquid for years and did not (at the time) even know about the spray.  I seperated my helmet into the face plate and the bucket itself, masked off holes to prevent over spray, and put a couple of coats on.  It cuts down on internal light, reflections on my lenses, noise, rattle, and insulates. I am quite pleased I did it and do recommend it to those I help.

Do you have to prep surface before spraying? Like light sandpaper?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn’t do it to my AM helmet but I assume a real light scuff wouldn’t hurt if you wanted to. I used the brush on and it stuck very well.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mjrose927 said:

I first washed mine with soapy water then gave a light rub with some 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper, it will help paint adhere.

• Like 1

So my helmet was a resin cast/fiberglass, but I'd also echo it's easier to do a basic sand to at most around 600 grit (don't want it too smooth that spray doesn't stick, then some plastidip does a great job at not only making it dark, but making it feel more sturdy like a real helmet.

• Like 1

With plastidip you just have to clean the surface, works like charm:duim:

I put on one layer but it is not smooth. Is this normal or did I do something wrong? There are pin size dots of white where plasticity did not cling to on first coat. ab38caa5523a99a696f5b282c46f898b.jpg

15 minutes ago, mjrose927 said:

I put on one layer but it is not smooth. Is this normal or did I do something wrong? There are pin size dots of white where plasticity did not cling to on first coat. ab38caa5523a99a696f5b282c46f898b.jpg

#1 Clean the surface

#2 Apply the plastdip in thin coats - don´t go for full coverage at first coat, build it up.

:salute:

• Like 1

#1 Clean the surface
#2 Apply the plastdip in thin coats - don´t go for full coverage at first coat, build it up.
:salute:

It looks like it self leveled and filled in some of those gaps. I just put second coat on. Hard to get some of the angles on the face plate.