Stormtrooper costume

2 hours ago, TheSwede said:

I’m not sure everyone would agree @gmrhodes13 What say you?! :smiley-sw013:

:laugh1: always good to have a spare, spare, spare, spare, spare, spare, spare

Hello and welcome to the forum Tyrone, lot of reading ahead of you, research is the key to this hobby, hope to see a build thread from you in the not too distant future.

• Like 2

I built my TK myself. I was scared to cut it cause it cost a lot (to me it did). I think it took me a day to do a bicep cause I didn’t want to over cut and screw it up. After the first piece you kinda get the hang of things. And it’s a lot less stressful. I have AM armor which is great for non typical larger troopers. It’s very sturdy and even if I make a mistake they have pieces on hand so I could just purchase a new piece.
Building is time consuming and takes up space. I used my garage (heated and finished) and it took me about 2 months, 10/17-12/17 and I became obsessed to get it done by the new year. I took a lot of days off from work and built nonstop. There is something to be said when someone says wow that’s really cool where did you buy it and you say I built it. I usually have to show my friends the pic on my phone of the box it all came in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who did you buy it from and did you buy it all at once

Who did you buy it from and did you buy it all at once

AM Armor (TK510@juno.com). I bought the whole thing, over $700 I think. Again if you’ve read the start here and armor sections you’ll see AM is for bigger guys. I’m about 5’10” 240 pounds (260 at one point). So depending on your size you might be able to get a standard kit. I personally think the AM is a great sturdy armor and can be trimmed down to fit just about anyone of average size. All the armors will run about the same price give or take. With soft goods boots and everything else your gonna hit over $1000

• Like 1

AM Armor (TK510@juno.com). I bought the whole thing, over $700 I think. Again if you’ve read the start here and armor sections you’ll see AM is for bigger guys. I’m about 5’10” 240 pounds (260 at one point). So depending on your size you might be able to get a standard kit. I personally think the AM is a great sturdy armor and can be trimmed down to fit just about anyone of average size. All the armors will run about the same price give or take. With soft goods boots and everything else your gonna hit over $1000

Excellent thanks again frank

5 hours ago, Tythephantom said:

I would love two costumes even three...
How did you start your journey, did you buy ready to wear and the full costume or did you you do piece by piece?
I’m pretty sure my brother in law has a friend in the 501st in the UK. I think he’s made a shoretrooper costume. I’ll have to ask him.

I bought mine (Stormtrooper ANH-S) off a retiring 501st member and trimmed the kit down to fit me. My 2nd I also bought from a 501st member and will be shrinking it down (Shadowtrooper)

• Like 1

I bought mine (Stormtrooper ANH-S) off a retiring 501st member and trimmed the kit down to fit me. My 2nd I also bought from a 501st member and will be shrinking it down (Shadowtrooper)

Would other people be inclined to post on here if they are trying to sell there costumes.
Thanks for your reply

I would suggest purchasing from the vetted seller list, at least you know you are get a quality set of armor.

If you do a search there are a few threads on TKArmour and they do need some work for 501st approval, here's one thread https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/40067-tkuk-armor-is-it-a-rippoff/

I would suggest purchasing from the vetted seller list, at least you know you are get a quality set of armor.

If you do a search there are a few threads on TKArmour and they do need some work for 501st approval, here's one thread https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/40067-tkuk-armor-is-it-a-rippoff/

Thanks for the heads up, which supplier did you use.
I’m obviously very new to this and find it quite overwhelming (but in a good way).

Have a read through this thread research is the key to this hobby, I have ATA and been trooping 7 years.

50 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Ty, from all the research that I did, my suggestion to you is that you are better to go with one of the vetted makers of armor, (Anovos, Authentic Props (AP), RS, and walts to name a few.) You will be spending about 1000 on the Plastics / Fiberglass alone (Rough estimate) and then another couple of hundred on tools and odds and ends not to mention Soft Goods (Body suit, boots, gloves) and then Extras (Electronics, Blaster etc) 

I am already well over 4000 in to my costumes (OT TK ANH-S, Shadowtrooper and Darth Revan) of course Im a little crazy when it comes to certain details that I pay more for (tools, my blaster, Lightsaber) I highly recommend you research every aspect of what you are looking for to get the best price and highest quality. If there is one thing I have found it "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is"

• Like 1

Ty, from all the research that I did, my suggestion to you is that you are better to go with one of the vetted makers of armor, (Anovos, Authentic Props (AP), RS, and walts to name a few.) You will be spending about 1000 on the Plastics / Fiberglass alone (Rough estimate) and then another couple of hundred on tools and odds and ends not to mention Soft Goods (Body suit, boots, gloves) and then Extras (Electronics, Blaster etc) 

I am already well over 4000 in to my costumes (OT TK ANH-S, Shadowtrooper and Darth Revan) of course Im a little crazy when it comes to certain details that I pay more for (tools, my blaster, Lightsaber) I highly recommend you research every aspect of what you are looking for to get the best price and highest quality. If there is one thing I have found it "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is"

Thanks James, it did sound a bit too God’s to be true.
I will eventually get there

21 hours ago, Tythephantom said:

I would love two costumes even three...
How did you start your journey, did you buy ready to wear and the full costume or did you you do piece by piece?
I’m pretty sure my brother in law has a friend in the 501st in the UK. I think he’s made a shoretrooper costume. I’ll have to ask him.

...I have ten costumes.  And five actively in the works.  They're like potato chips- you can't have just one!  Beware the costuming bug addiction!

...I have ten costumes.  And five actively in the works.  They're like potato chips- you can't have just one!  Beware the costuming bug addiction!

10 gees that’s fantastic, which ones do you have

15 hours ago, Tythephantom said:

10 gees that’s fantastic, which ones do you have

In order of completion: ESB TK, Jawa, TIE Reserve, ROTJ Crewman, Staff Officer, Shadow Scout, Gunner, ANH TIE Pilot, Warrant Officer, and Social Officer (Version 2).  Total of six Detachments (FISD, Krayt, JRS, IOC, Spec Ops, and IGC).  I collect Detachments like I collect patches.  :laugh1:  Someday I will have BHG and MEPD.  I'd love SL but there's just not currently a costume in there I really want to do (maybe the new movies will bring something for me).

In progress: Phasma, Line Officer (rank bars and hat), Admiral Daala (rank bars), Warrant Officers Versions 2 and 3 (I just have to get a chance to take photos of those two).

The easiest way to rank up detachments and costumes is to look for "gimme" costumes- costumes or variants you can do based on stuff you already have in a different order or combination, or with a small, easy, and/or cheap addition (Daala I just needed silver hair clips from the Line Officer, for example).  (If you have Jack boots, those do some 10+ costumes between the Legions for example).  Or costumes that are dual Legion- like Krayt costumes and Boushh.  It's become a running joke between three of us in the Squad- I have 10, BensID39999 has 14, and Fixer has 16.  I needle them and tell them I'm catching up.  Except Fixer is a machine, so there's no catching up with him (and that's just 501st- he also has a couple Rebel Legion ones and a Mando).  BensID39999 has a few Rebel Legion.  I have three Rebel Legion- Willrow, Jawa (dual) and Jedi.  

• Like 1

In order of completion: ESB TK, Jawa, TIE Reserve, ROTJ Crewman, Staff Officer, Shadow Scout, Gunner, ANH TIE Pilot, Warrant Officer, and Social Officer (Version 2).  Total of six Detachments (FISD, Krayt, JRS, IOC, Spec Ops, and IGC).  I collect Detachments like I collect patches.  :laugh1:  Someday I will have BHG and MEPD.  I'd love SL but there's just not currently a costume in there I really want to do (maybe the new movies will bring something for me).

In progress: Phasma, Line Officer (rank bars and hat), Admiral Daala (rank bars), Warrant Officers Versions 2 and 3 (I just have to get a chance to take photos of those two).

The easiest way to rank up detachments and costumes is to look for "gimme" costumes- costumes or variants you can do based on stuff you already have in a different order or combination, or with a small, easy, and/or cheap addition (Daala I just needed silver hair clips from the Line Officer, for example).  (If you have Jack boots, those do some 10+ costumes between the Legions for example).  Or costumes that are dual Legion- like Krayt costumes and Boushh.  It's become a running joke between three of us in the Squad- I have 10, BensID39999 has 14, and Fixer has 16.  I needle them and tell them I'm catching up.  Except Fixer is a machine, so there's no catching up with him (and that's just 501st- he also has a couple Rebel Legion ones and a Mando).  BensID39999 has a few Rebel Legion.  I have three Rebel Legion- Willrow, Jawa (dual) and Jedi.  

I can see how you can be addicted (in a good way).
I first started out just wanting to buy a ready to wear costume. Now I’m very eager to construct my own.
I already have my sights on a second costume( tie fighter pilot, and third ATAT pilot and captain Rex would be good).
I’ve decided I’m going to buy my first from RWA creations I was born not far from where they are.
I’ll keep you posted on how it’s going, thanks ty

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Ok, so my first try on. Before you mention it, I know x the strap, didn't on this occasion. 

Gloves must go, hate them like doing the dishes. The belt needs more Velcro. And some minor file on the eyes. Also Velcro on the thigh pads. Deck out the helmet with fans and hovi speakers. 

So any other suggests if you can see any guys would help me out.

1107058895_Firsttryon.thumb.jpg.8b67b2ef94db8269055a1ba59b357e66.jpg

• Like 1

Ok, so my first try on. Before you mention it, I know x the strap, didn't on this occasion. 
Gloves must go, hate them like doing the dishes. The belt needs more Velcro. And some minor file on the eyes. Also Velcro on the thigh pads. Deck out the helmet with fans and hovi speakers. 

Hi Jayson,

Looking good. Do you have your own WIP thread for people to give feedback?

If not, you could post pics of your armour in this section: https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/193-request-tk-pre-approval/

Best wishes
Dan

Looks great

Will post on the pre approval. Just waitn on blaster and holster. And need to trim around the arm bands and adjust the strap. Maybe x ova will help. Thighs need some adjustment. And the gloves need to change. 

This is an Original Stormtrooper. Noticed the eyes have a lip and a small amount to clean up. 

Also the belt needs maybe a bit more velcro. 

So still a bit to fix and change

• Like 1