Joey's First Time 5'6", 170 lbs, ESB [TM]

springaling

It's finally happening! My BBB arrived a month ago while I was away on a long work trip. Now after collecting some supplies, it's time to make room in the schedule for the TK. For that, I made great use of Joseph's supply list and a personal copy of the Google Sheets spreadsheet available in his post. A couple of extra things to know about that list though...Lexan is basically ABS/plastic, if you are to shop for these in person; and for the Testors French Blue, I went off of just the #2715, but the Model Masters (which is still Testors) may be a larger number (#2715xx).

Anyway, I got my box from the renowned Troopermaster, filled with some untrimmed 1.5mm ABS. I figure I can get some extra experience with the plastic while saving a few bucks.

I am and always will be (your friend...couldn't resist the Spock quote) so grateful to those who posted such detailed posts on this process. As Linus explains in his build topic, I'm looking to make an idealized TK, which is why I opted for this fan-made mold that doesn't include the bumps on the helmet, some of the asymmetries, etc. I think he will be my main reference, since his is TM, and I'm liking his train of thought. However, my TK height waiver is being processed, so I'll be making reference to Zel's build and Cricket's build for such matters, and relying on the added expertise of Ukswrath's build and FBJ's build for other general build advice.

That being said, I'm not here to reinvent the wheel, so I think most of my posts here will be to 1) emphasize some of my learning points outside of the above builds and 2) ask for advice and clarification. I'll be experimenting with photo sharing. Here we go!

The BBB with future Ewok (don't think she knows yet). And TM sends decals with ESB. Yay!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/9XW3wr6rBXGQU47W9

Edited by springaling
  • Like 1

Great news, nothing better than a BBB. With posting images you should use the "direct link" or you can right click on the image, select copy and paste directly into your thread, Imgur is a good photo host to use for posting multiple images into your thread.

Good luck with the build.

HlVnKxmLwW8xtNA1fZVVySJz5iuiHvYQUN7Yi_yOEK4Fcz_1OQ6xriehCkprDHMgk6iwNswqnH3ly47YrKJuE7IRUOA0ZsYX9eRdYcWbY4ccnhxw2q8cPRxYSSWP0JG6dYXMGkHb0xCxo1KpKEQlzovW2pN5tSfoYxwWIHO5L2VS2ayNU5WOt3DMYZOj6EpmwLwArU36Wi42bVzkf7HF8aYCf_9FJL3DWec4jIoz08SelU1J-R01s9LrsXFbeRX8JnA5pmYRWQpBxrQ91AJvDllYcwgjpPYoI6IcuPhReWTRgwyBUIMqrNUIW5WqWbjOuUaRkThcUNsgy0hZ_3IYHEE2N13V4xZBNB3siGV9b1doW3dP6KJGfAhfiT0roELvbP1n7Sw66K-GnQrnR_MbXN3xKHHiJ-lwdJTS_HHeszEfgcANIqPbIllbB0WoLHwEteQ0OSPVDTZrxuG9lNihKQmhudtjrIw7tWkrgW22HNHzWy3cbqeNu0heBR-hwwZWja9IafTChM_zdrvXj8_XCXvJQQcWjx8RboYdIcUcKr7stnFZ0j_JdyJUl4rHV9i9LK92h0VFPjbnUxWHrb1gzxXTe1_13_eLNL6bsDkW09SQSUWzJB03EB-_GF8NZWNzmycLQYGDdoFyMJg3YG5J8WLzFK6PX7qodTLoBlbVHokIuc7tlswQVhGisDG_tMq_bd0K-0pSgXPGVjivawb2qcf6=w498-h663-no

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone, slow progress over here, but it's moving! Started slow by trimming with the Lexan scissors, but after watching some Trooperbay Youtube videos, I'm starting to follow suit with trace-score-snap. Though I'm still using a straight edge to help trim where it counts, like the raised parts for cover strips. I also really liked one of his techniques for some nice straight trimming lines, seen below. 

Anyway, here's some progress with a couple notes and questions.

Biceps: They seemed to flare out quite a bit at the top after I trimmed them, so I cut them at a bit of an angle (red line - about 1/8" slope on each cut for about 1/4" closer at the top). My mind went a little absent when cutting the left bicep, and I followed the outside ridge a bit. Shouldn't be a big deal, since I think the shoulder bell will cover that all the time.

Forearms: On the left forearm, regarding how the front cover strip portion flares out at the top, I did like Linus did and kept the trim ~7.5mm from the ridge, creating a bit of an opening (red arrow). It closes alright with tape without any visible deformity, so I figure that will go fine with the cover strip.

Both forearms seem a little long, however, and I plan on keeping that little bit of return edge at the top. I assume there's no issues trimming from the wrist? I'll wait until final fitting first, though.

U5VkQGd.jpg

RqnINLh.jpg

axLt8tm.jpg

MGbyc5p.jpg

Forearms: On the left forearm, regarding how the front cover strip portion flares out at the top, I did like Linus did and kept the trim ~7.5mm from the ridge, creating a bit of an opening (red arrow). It closes alright with tape without any visible deformity, so I figure that will go fine with the cover strip.

Both forearms seem a little long, however, and I plan on keeping that little bit of return edge at the top. I'll wait til final fitting, but I assume there's no issues trimming from the wrist?

They also are a little oblong in the opening, we will see if I need to bathe them, but probably after I glue the strips.

A3XUrdL.jpg

5U5Mrn5.jpg

QUnM6he.jpg

Shoulders: Yup!

rJTQ16F.jpg

r12xqRO.jpg

Seems like it's a little big, but of course, we will see how the final fitting goes!

Last question...I was checking out the ab/chest plates, and it seems like the chest plate might overlap the button panel a bit. I'm kind of worried about the height of the ab plate. I saw that Cricket left the ab plate in at least one of her builds, while Zel cut off the cod and shortened it AND kept it detached. I'm really liking the second option. Any advice on that before I do anything too drastic?

Thanks guys!

• Like 1

You don't need to do any how water treatment to the forearms. They are supposed to be oval shaped. I would completely remove all of the return edge on the inner half of the forearms on the elbow swoop.

With regards to the joining strip edges not being straight, that's exactly how the originals are and the best way to get the edges cut is to simply lay your joining strip onto the armour, mark the half way point of the strip onto the armour on both ends, then draw a line between the two marks and trim. Now you know for sure your strips will fit onto the armour without any problems. It's quite normal to have some of the joining edge showing under the strips so try not to be too critical. 

roFuYaW.jpg

cnLohRa.jpg

tZ44XRW.jpg

5IsV87S.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Armor is still coming along, doing plenty of trimming and sizing. I'm soliciting input regarding ab plate vs chest plate height, but after some more testing, I think things will work out they way they are. That being said, I'm still strongly considering detaching the cod for mobility, as I am looking into doing more active things with the armor (5k perhaps?).

It's about time I ordered my belt, and I'm thinking of going through Imperial Issue. With armor (thank the Emperor it seems I won't need to mod circumference, 32" pants btw), looks like it's ~39.5" around.

Looks like the off-white canvas might be a better fit for this, what do you guys think?

Progress pics to come...

You can probably trim and bring the return edge in on the shoulder bells a bit to fit them better around the biceps and make it look less like a football player. Also probably making them narrower.

Screen references of shoulders and sizing:

------------

star-wars4-movie-screencaps.com-10381-79

latest?cb=20130225073523

Although there are some troopers with larger return edges:

(One big trooper one small trooper)

-------------

(Trooper with one big shoulder one small shoulder)

----------

But in the end it is all your preference (and your gml's), but a smaller return edge will be less likely to crack. Sorry for the pic heavy post.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working