OH DEAR GOD!!!! (A Kidney Plate Story)

TK-42775

So after last nights troop and more looking at my armor, I decided to take cut (literally) out of the top of my ab plate.

BTW A heat sealing iron on high will go straight through abs......

So I got cute and the excess (with the return edge on it that I cut of I ABS pasted to the inside of the ab plate

XMii5ei.jpg

Thankfully I have some wood working skills

s12NegX.jpg

After melting a chunk out of it, I kinda fixed it. I realized that I didn't leave enough material to go all the way over for the return edge, It was actuly easier to use my heat gun and the wide attachment like an iron to get it hot and fold it over

Cq7H014.jpg

Bring on the ABS Paste. I think i got more stuck to my fingers than on the armor

STPuCzl.jpg

And here is a short video of me explaining what I did.....Yes you could have just watched the video.....

6JXkMWY.mp4

So now to wait for the ABS to harden....... Then the joy of sanding........

• Like 1

Great save! Yeah, I think we all make mistakes like that at times, but you handled the situation quite well. How long have you been a member in Utah for James? I don't think we have met.

--------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed
  • Like 1

I've seen a few people use a wood guide for specific pieces and they are well worth while spending the time making them, ABS doesn't like keeping it's shape when heated and have a guide to form too is very handy.

With the heat iron I cover the ABS with some baking paper, seems to help the iron glide better ;) 

Great work and full marks for taking on the task.

Well the ABS Is dry, need to break out the polisher for the last details and paint rivets, but PICS!!!!

gszOKIy.jpg

hdWsZck.jpg

nE38sYg.jpg

So Here's the inside that I had to reinforce due to 2 tears

UybW7O8.jpg

qlTEmoQ.jpg

e3tOLzw.jpg

Honestly wasn't as hard as I thought it was gonna be, the biggest pain is waiting for ABS to dry, THIN LAYERS is the way to go, and put on extra, you can always sand it off.

• Like 2