Executioner Build

the_finn

Hello Everyone,

This is my first  post to ask a question for my first build! I am interested in building the TLJ Executioner. I've done a bit of research but have a few questions to anyone who has an answer.

I have looked at the following for potential builds:

1. Jim Tripon - Good reviews, everyone love it, but takes some sanding, adjusting and painting.

2. ArmoryShop - (Linked Below) Custom 3D printed to fit, finished painted, and from the email I received from Denis today they are now making "it is screen accurate Centurion Edition".

3. KB Props - I know nothing about them.

4. Any others???

While I am willing to put in effort to make the costume great, I am hoping to find a kit as completed as I can and I'm willing to pay the extra $ so that I don't have to sand or paint. Currently I am leaning towards ArmoryShop out of Moscow because it is already painted and I will be traveling to Moscow in a few months so I'll be able to thank Denis in person. My main concern is that I know nothing of the quality or durability of the 3d printed builds. I've seen two other posts on here where users ordered the ArmoryShop version but neither has messaged me back.

I'm looking for any feedback or suggestions (including "get the TLJ Trooper and paint the black parts").

Thanks everyone, and I hope to troop soon!

the_Finn

(Quick edit, I am 5'6", 140 lb, 30" waist... so kind of skinny and short.)

https://www.etsy.com/listing/555903463/tlj-executioner-stormtrooper-finished?campaign_label=convo_notifications&utm_source=transactional&utm_campaign=convo_notifications_010170_10683759063_0_0&utm_medium=email&utm_content=&email_sent=1550579568&euid=Bc9YrWpVeJGeaGJIoGQiAlyt96qk&eaid=480403948908&x_eaid=5e1be37784&link_clicked=5

Edited by the_finn

Hello and welcome!  

I have heard good things about Jim Tripon.  I haven't seen his FOTK in person, but he's vetted and all clear.  

I don't know anything about ArmoryShop.  The fact that it's on Etsy and is armor is a red flag.  Not necessarily dead in the water but a red flag to heed none the less.  Perhaps someone else can chime in on that one.  You should also be leery of "one stop shops" and too-completed armor- it's very rare for us to have a one stop shop, with vendors usually specializing in hard or soft parts, but not both.  Having said that, at first glance I don't see any glaring issues.  I'm also not an authority on FOTKs.  Just stay far, far away from eBay for armor and anything non-generic (ie, Nomex flight gloves are Nomex flight gloves, but 501st specific stuff is different).  

I have KB Props' Phasma, and have seen their FOTK kit (they're much the same).  As long as you ask for it untrimmed, you should be fine.  They had some production issues previously, but last I heard they were getting it under control.  I'm happy with my kit, I'd recommend them based on that.  

There's really no others, unfortunately- FOs are still pretty new and in significantly lesser demand than OTs.  

You should check out Various Type of Armor and Where to Find Them and Where, What and Whom To Avoid When Buying to help you further in your search- it's kept pretty updated on who's vetted, who's not, and what to watch out for.  

You're actually a very good size for an FOTK- they just don't work well on most bigger people (I've seen it in person, and I've duct-taped a friend into his to prove it!)  

The Executioner is primarily the paint job that's different, but check out my spreadsheet on the differences for additional details- I made it for this very purpose: First Order TKs - What's the Difference?

Hello and welcome aboard, there are quite a few build threads for both KB and Jim's so worth having a look through those, will give you a better understanding of what is involved building each of those kits. I would be cautious purchasing armor which is 3D printed, I've seen some other costumes made from it and they aren't as strong as ABS or fibreglass.