Linz AM ANH build thread WIP

7 hours ago, James Whitley said:

Hey, @T-Jay Here's a question for ya.

Sorry but I am located in Germany, not the UK. Wish I could help though...

I would give Tony's idea a try and look for the screen accurate poppers.

5 hours ago, Linz said:

Ordered rivets, not sure what these Chicago rivets are though?
Also I can’t find a spec/measurements for the TD screws?
Thanks all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chicago rivets/Chicago screws are a 2 part where 1 side looks like a flat headed screw and the other half is a threaded tube with a head. When screwed together they're basically like a rivet.
Chicago-Screw-10mm-e1512415912822.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_bolt

For the TD you want, if going for Centurion, to have (from UK's build) " They should be pan head and slotted, not "V" shape, Philips. Those shooting for L3 I strongly encourage you to replace them with something similar to canon. I'll be using #6 x 3/8". These are slightly larger then what's seen used on the canon TD but are the correct shape. "  You'll need to paint them black.

Here's a pic from my build thread:

vsqEzAQ.jpg

• Like 2

8ba216a405fcc39b317730d361bf14dc.jpg
Parts identified and labelled up. Hopefully get the first arm trimming done over weekend whilst I wait for snaps to arrive.
Quick one, do most people trim off return edge at bottom of forearms or leave a bit/all of it?

Hi and welcome aboard! :D

Looks like you've been doing plenty of research and asking lots of questions, which is undoubtedly the recipe for success. The awesome folks here at FISD will transform the huge, daunting project into an attainable and enjoyable ride. Keep in touch and post lots of photos! 

My order of building went from head down to toe—bucket, arms, torso, thighs and lastly shins. I also installed strapping as I went, just for some variety from all the ABS trimming. It will work in any order, though!

And yes, you can do away with all of the return edge on the wrist-end of the forearms. For L3 this is required, but I also found that it made them way easier to slide over my hands. Turns out a few millimetres makes a huge difference. Return edges everywhere else are up to you—the simulated "thicker armour" look is definitely cool, but it can compromise comfort and mobility. I ended up doing away with most of mine. It's easier to remove them than to add them back on, though, so you may want to test-fit and evaluate as you go. 

Good luck and have fun! We'll be here. :salute:

• Like 3

f1b9e1bf5b7cb4be35c9d8386fc733a8.jpg4d72ec5e076136894ca230ab7a930c86.jpgda6505a70cefd64199bba0531432a255.jpg5c6225bf86f5c65cfe80a837f4b820db.jpg8c20d20a6a32db881e0a0d0bf60084bb.jpg323849e2553f7f2e8708bbabf2194aa4.jpg4fead240750b0c63790a2603149b0cfd.jpgd26812b67295c826792deacaaf395bb1.jpg
The time had finally come to start trimming and cutting my AM armour. So looking like a poor excuse of Bain from batman I set to work.
I’m starting with the arms. With shaking hands I marked a trim line on the wrist end and carefully trimmed the return edges. Being AM armour, the width of legs are arms are big so I’m trimming from the inner arm as the outer arm seems to run straight and central to my arm.
I had been advised to always start with the showing edge and trim bit by bit from the back to get the fit.
Bit more scoring required to get a clean snap but finally went and I breathed a sigh of relief that the first cut had been made. We’ve officially started!!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Linz said:

The time had finally come to start trimming and cutting my AM armour. So looking like a poor excuse of Bain from batman I set to work.
I’m starting with the arms. With shaking hands I marked a trim line on the wrist end and carefully trimmed the return edges. Being AM armour, the width of legs are arms are big so I’m trimming from the inner arm as the outer arm seems to run straight and central to my arm.
I had been advised to always start with the showing edge and trim bit by bit from the back to get the fit.
Bit more scoring required to get a clean snap but finally went and I breathed a sigh of relief that the first cut had been made. We’ve officially started!!!

Woohoo!! Congrats on the first cut! The rest are all much easier from now on.

You're going to want to take a little more off of the wrist edges, including that little bump where the track of recesses is. Here are mine for reference:

VF37Hhy.jpg

The butt-joint connection between pieces looks REAL clean! Nice work. Before you start gluing pieces together, tape them up and try wearing them while bending your arms. The return edges on the elbow end look pretty thick and, while I don't think is an approval/accuracy problem, could hinder your movement or pinch your skin. 

Keep it up! :D

• Like 1

240ee3c78bbf12366f1d0898969e7bfb.jpgb23a958482cc2d997518d143e48db547.jpg80ad250eaad4fbe06d90b3a90fad77f2.jpg
Thanks for that. I’ve trimmed more off the wrist edge. Will wait til I’ve glued them before doing final trim so I can match up side edges. Left arm giving me more grief than the right one did, just trying to get as much taper towards wrist whilst still getting hand through.
Accidentally cut through top of finger whilst cutting arm pieces. Still, no pain, no gain and all that.
When I’m finally happy with shape, I’ll glue inner strips in and start on biceps. AM arm and leg pieces are big so fair bit to trim

Little late to this not sure how I missed the thread but welcome. Brought myself up to speed cause I love my AM armor. Was a bit confused going through cause first I saw the pic with the helmet thinking that helmet is huge, then I thought it was Bane making a TK, then it became a bloody horror film. This thread is entertaining I’m gonna stick to it. Other then that things are looking good with tons of great advice.

Looking good Linz :duim:. As Brendon mentioned absolutely no return edge on the wrist sides especially if shooting for the higher levels of accuracy. Oh and it's never too late to add hand PPE to the armor build ;)

1a897d2727c8e45b4647ac2a9f746b12.jpg5a96a318bc00d715dc34cffcee3296cb.jpga5226a6597ebaa0141282192591814c6.jpg
Both biceps done this morning. Seem to match up ok so will glue inner strips later to these.
Not happy with arm pieces so going to have a play around with them later, trim a bit of the elbow end return edges and make them a bit slimmer before glueing inner strips.

Unless you made these really loose, you may have a problem with them cutting into you while having your arm bent ("armor bite").  If you choose to remove the return edge as shown, I would do it before gluing, otherwise they will be too loose.  As everyone here knows, I am not a fan of return edges, and not having them will not affect approval at any level.  Just my 2 cents worth.

Reference images  (Note lack of edges on forearms, biceps and shoulder bells).

pDG4AdQ.jpg      PoiWLqp.jpg?1  LoPBgo0.jpg

• Like 1

Unless you made these really loose, you may have a problem with them cutting into you while having your arm bent ("armor bite").  If you choose to remove the return edge as shown, I would do it before gluing, otherwise they will be too loose.  As everyone here knows, I am not a fan of return edges, and not having them will not affect approval at any level.  Just my 2 cents worth.

Reference images  (Note lack of edges on forearms, biceps and shoulder bells).
pDG4AdQ.jpg&key=f6518db013db7867e97a9857e3f9523dd57bc4d50124458001861fcfab1b97b1      PoiWLqp.jpg?1&key=55a8a0a66b411e1c4a5479a3e140bb0543304f568641ee17bab423d739c1183f  LoPBgo0.jpg&key=441313fc3ef2fc6c1ac604ac1df0b6215e7e8d3db70a6edecdb8e23fa0b6e6d9

Thanks. Top edge has plenty of room but will trim return edge down to allow more flexibility. I really like return edges so where possible, I really want to keep them so long as they don’t cause issues with mobility

121fefe33f85cef4c0de5c765baebb9e.jpg
Trimmed some of return edges down. Still might take off lower edge to biceps more as have 5-7mm left of edge and might open it up a bit.
Was going to reduce width of lower arms but now I’ve tried parts on with under suit it makes those gaps not seem as wide

• Like 2

Looking good! :D

As long as you can still move comfortably, more power to you! I totally see the appeal of the "thicker" armour. Plus, you can always trim or remove them at a later time. If you find your armour pieces are too loose, now or in the future, some foam padding on the inside can work wonders. 

Sorry about your finger! I hope it heals well and I second Tony's point about hand protection. I wore cut-resistant gloves for my whole entire build, and then once it was all finished and I was putting away my tools, I scraped my hand with a drill bit. I was so close to making it injury-free!!

About four weeks of healing and I'm still rocking this.

yoMYodq.jpg

Coming along nicely, I also have a lot of return edges left on my armor, I'm a little skinny in some places and it helps to keep them in place.

On wounds I sliced the top of my thigh with a Dremel cutting disc, was in the middle of an Anovos FOTK build (which took 10 days from start to painted finish) and as I was rushing just slipped, didn't have time to visit the doctors so out with the super glue, worked great, still rocking the scar but it's a nice memory, I managed to wear that armor at the very next troop :D 

Like already said you can trim off at a later stage if you find it pinches and you incur any armor bites.

Keep up the great work. 

In regards of the forearms I would suggest make the wrist as snug as you can, barely getting your hand through for that sleek ANH-look
Ignore that busted bicep and keep up the great work:duim:
Scbdu50.jpg&key=af7c43f8e5514cb277d663d2a79cb29879d377e25a92c78eb034dc832c3ec38d

I’ve not glued forearm yet as the wrist is the part that’s bothering me, can get hand through but feels and looks baggy around the wrist. Think I might trim a small sliver off each side, nothing at elbow end as these seem fine but just to get a bit more lower arm taper. Seems we’ve all suffered during the build process

1 minute ago, Bud Spaklur said:

Wow dude, superglue? You ever see Predator? You remind me of the scene where the one guy says to Jesse Ventura, “you’re bleeding.” To which he responded, “I don’t got time to bleed”

Why not paramedics use it, ok maybe it's a little different ;) 

Super Glue for Wound Closure article

Image result for i aint got time to bleed meme\\

• Like 1

299995d2fa00f0a14c2c025b1f8644d3.jpg
So late in the day I glued inner strips to biceps. Delighted when I took the clamps off the following day to see how well the glue had stuck to then realise my mistake. I’d glued 4 inner strips to one bicep
All corrected now and will glue all cover strips at the end. Lesson learnt, know when to call it a day
Currently glueing inner strips to lower arms after trimming a little width offbb7d1e7513c0f15a358fc0fa6492d9a0.jpg07feeb9d419ec4c7b57bffe6678d200d.jpg

• Like 1

Lol! Wouldn't be a real armour build without "D'oh!!" moments.

Biceps look great! :D

Not to keep going on about return edges, but it has just occurred to me that the upper, outside return edges of the biceps won't ever been seen because they will be underneath your shoulder bells. I only mention this because part of strapping your suit together will involve reducing the black gap between chestplate and shoulder bells as much as possible, and the upper bicep return edge may serve only to push your shoulder bells further out while offering no aesthetic benefit. The upper, inner return edge (near your armpit) will at least be seen, providing some tradeoff if you like the look.

The choice is yours, and you can always trim that return edge down if/when necessary once you get to the strapping stage.

Keep up the great work! :salute: