FanboyNightmare

Could *my height* be a distraction???

I am wondering if my height in gear would look odd, especially standing next to other troopers, or if I can pass off as "Luke Skywalker in disguise", if anything. 

In gear, I'm assuming I should be about 5'8"

Is there any shoe brands that can increase height from the sole? What can I possibly do to gain some inches, but still having the shoes be passable for approval?

What is most important to me is how I will look in stormtrooper armor. Don't want to look / feel odd. If I recall right, the height of the orginal stormtrooper actor is 5'11, but I've noticed most of 501st's troopers are about 6 feet and up...

What is your honest opinion, and advice? Should I not peruse stormtrooper, and aim for a different character?  I'd like to be an approved member by this year. So far I have a balaclava.

I am in shape, but my height worries me if I should build a Stormtrooper...

Edited by FanboyNightmare
  • Like 1

We have troopers of all heights, we do at times get those of the same size together when possible though, but it really isn’t a problem if you don’t mind “hey aren’t you short for a stormtrooper”.

Ideally you don’t want to increase your heel height but there are insert wedges that can go inside the boots, a few of our Vader’s have them.

if you have a look around some of the build threads you’ll notice many of a shorter statue than you. 

Personally I think you’ll just be fine.

• Like 2

I’m 5’4” in armor and I thought the same way in the beginning when I was thinking about joining the legion. But when your actually suited up in the armor with a bunch of other troopers, it doesn’t really matter. Because you already know that all of you look really badass together. And the general public will take notice. Yes, occasionally there will be some that will come up and ask you that famous line but really who cares what they think. Do what makes you happy, but make sure you do it for the right reasons. Charity, costuming and camaraderie. Remember, the Empire does not discriminate. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'm 5'8" - 5'9" in costume, and so is my husband.  Looks and fits fine.  Don't worry :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FanboyNightmare said:

What is your honest opinion, and advice?

Go for it!:duim: 

• Like 1

You are fine, go for it!

• Like 1

you shouldn't have any issues at all. Actually you will fit in well at 5-8. Trust me, people notice a lot more when the TKs are taller than Vader, so being short actually works to your advantage, especially if Vader is around.

Welcome to the FISD BTW,  I see that your new here and join just yesterday. Be sure to look through a ton of build threads, and talk to the shorter troopers about their armor and why they chose the Vendor they did. That way you can asses your own needs and go in the direction you find fit, both with body type and budget. Know that you will spend upwards of $1000 for a complete costume once finished. But know we are here to help, and will do everything we can to ease your issues.

And get ahold of your local Garrison mates, they can help you see the armor in person, may even have some troopers your height and can give you pointers in person;

Edited by Commander Gree
  • Like 1

As @gmrhodes13 said, as long as you're okay with hearing "Aren't you a little short for a Stormtrooper?" then there's no issue.  And to be totally fair, I get that a fair amount too, and I'm 5'11'', probably 6'' with the boots on, maybe a little more with the helmet dome.  Some people fully admit they just don't know what else to say.  

Check out the Various Types of Armor and Where to Find Them if you haven't already, it's not only a great resource for trusted and vetted vendors, but it details which armors are best for which body type.  You aren't prohibited from doing a kit that will fit a super tall person, you just might need more trimming, but it can be done.  (For example, the AM was the prefect length for me in all places at 5'11'', but it would easily fit someone slightly shorter or taller before shims/additions would be needed.  

There's a lot of build threads from people of various heights, including trimming for height, so check those out for an idea of what you might need to tackle.  

If you really want additional height, there are internal lifts available.  Don't forget the boots add a little and the helmet dome adds maybe another inch.  I'm going to use these internal lifts for my Phasma (because I want to be REALLY tall when I wear her, up there with my tall Vaders).  They come in 3 mm, 5 mm, 8 mm and 11 mm.  I recommend gluing the wedges to each other and to the main sole because they don't stay together super well.  Also, the more you add, the more your foot is pushed upwards, which can mean that boots might not fit anymore.  (I'm using lace up boots for Phasma to combat that- since you won't see the laces at all once the spats are on).  Honestly, for a TK, I wouldn't bother, though- there's TKs of all heights across the Legion.  We're all brothers and sisters in white armor, regardless.  

Good luck with your research and build!

And welcome to WhiteArmor!

• Like 1

Live your dream! I’m 6’2”, and feel like I’m Darth Vader in disguise when I wear my TK. 

• Like 2

We have a few tall troopers in our Garrison, they look fantastic and intimidating, the general public are always in awe.

You will love it, I'm certain.

We also have the other extreme with a couple of troopers that are 5'5" and they also look awesome.

• Like 1

Hey JC welcome. 5'8" is completely doable. We have plenty of build treads with troopers your height. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

We have troopers of all heights, we do at times get those of the same size together when possible though, but it really isn’t a problem if you don’t mind “hey aren’t you short for a stormtrooper”.

I'm 6'1" and people still ask me if I'm "too short."  :)

We have a TK who is 5'2".  Like everyone else said.  Go for it.

• Like 2

I’m 5’8 and have been getting along just fine. People love seeing stormtroopers of any height so I wouldn’t worry about it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, yo_its_nino said:

I’m 5’4” in armor and I thought the same way in the beginning when I was thinking about joining the legion. But when your actually suited up in the armor with a bunch of other troopers, it doesn’t really matter. Because you already know that all of you look really badass together. And the general public will take notice. Yes, occasionally there will be some that will come up and ask you that famous line but really who cares what they think. Do what makes you happy, but make sure you do it for the right reasons. Charity, costuming and camaraderie. Remember, the Empire does not discriminate. Good luck!

I am also 5' 4" / 5" (On a good day). We have to trim a little more but its still doable. though I will admit I am jelly of people with long necks.

• Like 1

I’m backing up everyone ! 

Go for it !! You will see i will all come do a good end !! 

We we are here to help if needed ;) 

• Like 1

Wowowowz! :o So much feedback already :) Thank you all so very much. I absolutely appreciate it! I am very thrilled to have read each and every comment on here.

You know, I think I'm gonna do it. :blush: I'm about maybe 5'6 (at very least) naturally or 5'7ish (at very most), somewhere near there, but in gear, and with brief shoe mods, I'm assuming I'd be 5'8 or 9ish in the coustume.

You see, I've always been the type that really gets into the cosplay / character...I suppose you could say I'm somewhat of a "method actor", in a sense. I would not go for a character, if I felt was totally out of my reach to pull off "appropriately". I'd go for a character that was possible, in my opinion, that could potentially work. And it has seemed most of the Star Wars characters were outta my reach, in regards to height :/ So, I have always felt concerned with that... I didn't want to feel odd, you know? But perhaps I'm kinda overthinking it somewhat a little too much, and might actually blend in well quite nicely. I feared the thought of having to trim armor (would prefer not do myself, so I can stay safe), and possibly not being completely happy in the final outcome on how it looks on me, after investing  a lot in. Might as well try, right? Settle it once and for all, rather than to wonder.

But I've noticed there's a slight few stormtroopers that seem to appear shorter, compared to most in the films...plus Luke Skywalker was a stormtrooper...well, sorta...briefly...haha so I'd use his height as refference, too.

Anyways, think this might be the forum for me. I have been on 3 others, but, jeez, this is by far the most feedback I've gotten, so far, and it is encouraging. :)

I am, in fact, *NEW* here, but I've always been procastinating on the thought of becoming a stormtrooper... and so finally I have joined this forum...despite the procastinating thoughts that has transpired.

I have been invited into my Garrison since early of 2017, and couldn't really pinpoint on a coustume. :( I'd start builds, and then reconsider...but this year...this year (2019) is the year I officially want to become a full 501st Legion member! So hopefully that will happen :smiley-sw013: I will be posting more topics, and reading here quite often. Feel free to be my friend.

I am wanting to have a build that is very accurate, but also ready to go with my measurements, rather, I don't want to build from scratch, because I don't want to ruin anything, and would love to get approved ASAP. I'm thinking Stunt or Hero Stormtrooper, and currently eyeing RS prop masters. What are some alternatives, that can offer me ready to go armor? What do you recommend for someone that is like me? Thanks, again...I really do appreciate it. :D

• Like 1

Welcome JC to the FISD!!

If you haven done so I would start by reading this section here!

You’ll find just about everything you think of when it comes to getting started and your armor needs! Speaking of armor needs our fellow Trooper and Deployment Office justjoseph63 has put together a great and very useful checklist of what you’ll need other then that amazing white shiny stuff. I found that personally it came in extremely helpful for my build.

Once that has been all decided upon then I would dive into our EIB / Centurion sections and find out which a little extra effort you can get on screen accuracy.

Hope that helps point you in the right direction, I know its a ton of information and a good size financial commitment  so if any other questions come up feel free to ask.

Its why we’re here “ Troopers helping Troopers”

We've all had that feeling of "what have I gotten myself into" before the first cut but trust me when I tell you, after the fist cut you realize its not that bad. 

Follow the build threads in the EIB/Centurion sections and also read and re-read ukswraths build threads as he really breaks it down with a ton of photos and descriptions. I know I treated them like an instruction manual and to this day refer to them to confirm an answer to a question. 

Best of luck in your journey.

Edited by msouza
  • Like 1

I'm just shy of 5'9", 180lbs here and my Authenticprops kit fit 100% out of the box.  You should be perfect.

• Like 1

Hi and welcome! Yes, do it!

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 2:25 AM, FanboyNightmare said:

Wowowowz! :o So much feedback already :) Thank you all so very much. I absolutely appreciate it! I am very thrilled to have read each and every comment on here.

You know, I think I'm gonna do it. :blush: I'm about maybe 5'6 (at very least) naturally or 5'7ish (at very most), somewhere near there, but in gear, and with brief shoe mods, I'm assuming I'd be 5'8 or 9ish in the coustume.

You see, I've always been the type that really gets into the cosplay / character...I suppose you could say I'm somewhat of a "method actor", in a sense. I would not go for a character, if I felt was totally out of my reach to pull off "appropriately". I'd go for a character that was possible, in my opinion, that could potentially work. And it has seemed most of the Star Wars characters were outta my reach, in regards to height :/ So, I have always felt concerned with that... I didn't want to feel odd, you know? But perhaps I'm kinda overthinking it somewhat a little too much, and might actually blend in well quite nicely. I feared the thought of having to trim armor (would prefer not do myself, so I can stay safe), and possibly not being completely happy in the final outcome on how it looks on me, after investing  a lot in. Might as well try, right? Settle it once and for all, rather than to wonder.

But I've noticed there's a slight few stormtroopers that seem to appear shorter, compared to most in the films...plus Luke Skywalker was a stormtrooper...well, sorta...briefly...haha so I'd use his height as refference, too.

Anyways, think this might be the forum for me. I have been on 3 others, but, jeez, this is by far the most feedback I've gotten, so far, and it is encouraging. :)

I am, in fact, *NEW* here, but I've always been procastinating on the thought of becoming a stormtrooper... and so finally I have joined this forum...despite the procastinating thoughts that has transpired.

I have been invited into my Garrison since early of 2017, and couldn't really pinpoint on a coustume. :( I'd start builds, and then reconsider...but this year...this year (2019) is the year I officially want to become a full 501st Legion member! So hopefully that will happen :smiley-sw013: I will be posting more topics, and reading here quite often. Feel free to be my friend.

I am wanting to have a build that is very accurate, but also ready to go with my measurements, rather, I don't want to build from scratch, because I don't want to ruin anything, and would love to get approved ASAP. I'm thinking Stunt or Hero Stormtrooper, and currently eyeing RS prop masters. What are some alternatives, that can offer me ready to go armor? What do you recommend for someone that is like me? Thanks, again...I really do appreciate it. :D

getting ready to go armor might bring some risks with it .

armor vendors always ask precise measurement but its difficult to build them 100% right , the difficult part is they have your measurement but they don't have you there to get some test fits .  if they could test fit it on the customer it would be easy to build them to their right fit because they can see where they maybe need to trim some more or where they need to adjust the straps etc.

don't get me wrong and I don't want to scare you !

I have seen some very good full assembled commissions but I also seen some that needed some adjustments .

I can recommend you RS propmaster and troopermaster , those are in my opinion 2 of the best ones I have seen .

there are more vendors out there that do some amazing jobs , it all depends on where you are stationed for shipping .

I hope this helped you a bit :)

On 2/13/2019 at 5:40 AM, FanboyNightmare said:

In gear, I'm assuming I should be about 5'8"

I'm 5'4" (RS Props TK here...), but I put lifts in my boots to increase my height.  My boots add about 1.5", and the lifts add about 2"... so when fully kitted up, I'm almost 5'8".  I've successfully sized down a TK kit to fit my 4'11" garrison friend, and she looks great! 

I get the "short for a stormtrooper" line sometimes, but I just play along with it.  One of my favorite responses to it is to quickly move toward them and whisper loudly, "I'm working with the Rebellion!  Shhhh!  You're gonna blow my cover!"  Which always gets a laugh.

Or the other response is to stop and stare them down for about 10 seconds.  I actually did this once mid-parade.   It was awesome!  That one is great to do when there is a crowd because the OP usually gets really nervous, which makes everyone laugh.  Of course, they have no idea I'm smiling the whole time.  :) 

These are kind things that vertically challenged TKs get to have fun with!  Build your TK and wear your height proudly!

• Like 1

I'm 5'6 -ish plain clothes and headed to Centurion, hopefully. I have 1.5" risers, but will probably ditch them and troop comfortable instead.

• Like 1

Welcome. tbh, doesn't matter what height you are, you'll always hear "Aren't you too short for a stormtrooper?" It's all about how it looks and fits and you'll do fine!

• Like 1

On 3/30/2019 at 9:05 PM, FN-1313 said:

Welcome. tbh, doesn't matter what height you are, you'll always hear "Aren't you too short for a stormtrooper?" It's all about how it looks and fits and you'll do fine!

I've heard fans say that to taller TK's, too. It's just one of those lines in the movie people are able to remember. I kinda roll my eyes anytime someone says to our Vader, "I am your father" but whatever, we're all having fun.

• Like 1