Softening Holster Leather

My Uncle Gary has been fascinated with my Stormtrooper since he found out I built it. He asked me tons of questions about it. One of them was “Can you put the blaster in the holster?” I told him I probably could, but the leather is so new that it won’t let the blaster in. He told me he wants me to have that blaster go in holster. I was wondering if there was a way to soften that leather somehow? 

With leather shoes I've stuffed with soaked wet newspaper, it did soften and allow some give, may work.

Leather conditioner will usually soften a leather holster.  Just don't go overboard and soak it in the stuff.  Just a bit, on an unsealed part of the holster, to give some elasticity back to the leather.

Cram in a firm bottle of some sort to put some strain on the leather, and put the holster (with bottle) in the direct sun to warm the leather.  That will help it slowly and naturally stretch to a relaxed position, accommodating the bottle, and later, your blaster..

Of course, in the Winter, in many climates it's hard to find a suitable warm sunny location (even in central California, if you're both from there?), but hopefully some warmer weather will be coming soon.

You can also use a petroleum jelly like vasoline and coat it wrap it up and let sit over night or longer and then clean it up.

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk

Neatsfoot oil will soak-in and soften the leather, assuming it is veg tan leather. Once applied, you can bend and work the leather to allow the oil to work its way into the fibres.

If you soak the holster in water, it will inevitably dry-out the leather even more, as some of the natural tanning oils will be washed out, so if you go the moulding route, i’d advise that you also condition the leather after.