A story from a friend who was helped by the 501st

Digz Graavz

HI everyone,

An old friend from University saw my suit pics and shared a great story about the 501st from Toronto Fan Expo:

The last time I went to Fan Expo, I got into the north building with my hubby to see who we could see, celebrity-wise. Unfortunately, I was on a mobility scooter and the traffic in that building was parking-lot-o-sardines. I got to a certain point and then just could not move. Because of the size of the scooter, it wasn't like I could squeeze through the crowd to get out.

Skip forward to me on a mobility scooter in the middle of what seemed like a million people with no apparent way out, in the middle of a full-blown anxiety/panic attack. Tears. Hypervenitillation. Starting to shut down. It was horrid.

A Stormtrooper from the 501st asked my hubby if I was okay. He explained my claustrophobia and panic disorder, and the fact that we couldn't even move to escape. The Stormtrooper said to hang on, that he'd be right back.

Next thing I know, there's a commotion down the laneway and I'm hearing Stormtrooper voices hollering, "Make way! Move along! Empire business! Stand aside!" They cleared the pathway like the parting of the red bloody sea.

Next thing I knew, my hubby and I were being motioned to move down the newly cleared pathway, with 'Troopers on either side of the walkway, holding the crowd back just enough so the scooter could pass. I thanked them as much as I could through my panic... my hubby did more thanking than I did because I was just trying to breathe.

I found it truly touching that these folks stepped up and helped a person in distress, when they were just there to get their geek on.

• Like 14

This story needs to be in the Newsletter as a highlight article. It's a feel good point  and thanks to  Chris (Digz) for sharing.

Her response:

I'm so happy that got shared so that they know how they helped me out. Thank you. I never felt I got a chance to thank them enough and now, maybe they will know how much I appreciated them.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Shiver me timbers - right in the heart strings!

Thank you ever so kindly for sharing this report - absolutely made my day reading this and bucket off to those troopers!