Alternative holster pattern.

This is a question for the staff: Can a holster from an Imperial Navy trooper be approved or would that be something to change after approval?

I have several of these holsters I want to use as they were used on some troopers in ANH, but I don;t want to run the risk of someone not getting approved because of it. The most famous trooper wearing one is the promo guy, then there's one on the original armour owned by RS, and the odd one pops up on screen. So while they were used on the original costumes I want to know if they are acceptable for 501st use?

ET8mZID.jpg

YQnssSF.jpgxE23Qzq.jpg

ZSn4gdB.jpg

I'm going to hazard a guess the odd shape one would fall under "mistakes, errors and breakages".  Whilst they do exist the 501st trooper is a somewhat idealised average of all of them.  Whilst there is no specific rule against it I believe GMLs should also pay heed to the images which shows the standard ANH holster shape.

The promo trooper is covered by the hero CRL, one is cleared in the UKG for sure. http://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:TK_anh_hero  You would need the SR-14R for the SR-14R holster though.

I am building a promo trooper soon so that's good to know one has been cleared.  

So it's really down to the GML's discretion if the holster is passable? I haven't tried to fit an E-ll in one yet and it's not like most people actually holster there blasters anyway. And if it's attached properly (unlike the RS original) and looks the part then I personally don't see a problem. But thanks for the heads up:duim:

For what it's worth, I usually holster my E11 off and on throughout a given troop, depending on how I'm feeling at the moment, what I'm doing, etc.  So do most people I know. ;)

(Obviously there are troops where the blaster stays in your hands the whole time, but there are plenty of instances where holstering your blaster is perfectly normal)

Just an aside, really, nothing to do with the main thrust of your query. :)

15 hours ago, troopermaster said:

This is a question for the staff: Can a holster from an Imperial Navy trooper be approved or would that be something to change after approval?

I have several of these holsters I want to use as they were used on some troopers in ANH, but I don;t want to run the risk of someone not getting approved because of it. The most famous trooper wearing one is the promo guy, then there's one on the original armour owned by RS, and the odd one pops up on screen. So while they were used on the original costumes I want to know if they are acceptable for 501st use?

ZSn4gdB.jpg

Great question Paul, do you have any additional photos? The reason I ask is this photo is taken from a hard right angle judging by the TD view. It would be nice to see the holster from straight on. If it is indeed manufactured at a taper we could add it to the CRL and library.

I did compare a lot of the Hero versions early on in my build, the Hero version on the right to me it appears to have the RS image holster, can notice the longer holster straps and a taper to the side and also stitching on opposite side to ANH holsters. Can't find a better side image to see if it actually had a cut out for an E-11, personally I don't think it would.

XoiCXYI.jpg

It also appears to be attached higher on the belt in the centre like the RS image

a6rLcWz.png

At first I thought this was still the same Hero but it appears he has a normal short strapped ANH holster BUT then I realised he had a higher brow and his mic tip is not white like the other.

UV5WROC.jpg

The promo Hero holster had straps behind the belt and the 4 rivets, although carrying an SE-14R the holster still has a cut out like an E-11 holster.

But it appears to be slightly different to a normal ANH version as it is stitched on the opposite side? Definitely has the cut out/notched section.

hero_superhighres_01.jpg Plccpkm.png

Holstered SE-14R

realANHtroophero1.jpg

Promo image below has the same ANH E-11 styled as it has the cut out/notch, can see on the front the flap of the notch and also the opposite side sewn.

YQnssSF.jpg uUpo9Ut.png

My findings there appears to be 3 Hero version holsters:

1 RS image used on the Hero (not seen anything even slightly looking like this on any other Stormtrooper) and no E-11 cut out/notch.

2 ANH straps behind 4 rivet holster standard Hero version

3 PROMO: straps behind 4 rivets BUT stitched on opposite side and also has the E-11 cut out/notch. I believe this is a standard style ANH Hero version only oppositely stitched, not matching SE-14R (although it will fit in the holster).

8 hours ago, ukswrath said:

Great question Paul, do you have any additional photos? The reason I ask is this photo is taken from a hard right angle judging by the TD view. It would be nice to see the holster from straight on. If it is indeed manufactured at a taper we could add it to the CRL and library.

hOShJgj.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

My findings there appears to be 3 Hero version holsters:

1 RS image used on the Hero (not seen anything even slightly looking like this on any other Stormtrooper) and no E-11 cut out/notch.

2 ANH straps behind 4 rivet holster standard Hero version

3 PROMO: straps behind 4 rivets BUT stitched on opposite side and also has the E-11 cut out/notch. I believe this is a standard style ANH Hero version only oppositely stitched, not matching SE-14R (although it will fit in the holster).

I agree with this but the holster on the promo trooper is attached with 2 rivets that appear to be painted white.

TalhW6L.jpg

It does have the cut out but I believe is the same shape as the RS holster, so another version. I don't think I have a good side shot of the promo trooper holster to show, unfortunately.

9 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

I did compare a lot of the Hero versions early on in my build, the Hero version on the right to me it appears to have the RS image holster, can notice the longer holster straps and a taper to the side and also stitching on opposite side to ANH holsters. Can't find a better side image to see if it actually had a cut out for an E-11, personally I don't think it would.

XoiCXYI.jpg

The belt on the hero in this photo is the one owned by RS.

xtdeUVD.jpg

0yfc0pn.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, troopermaster said:

The belt on the hero in this photo is the one owned by RS.

xtdeUVD.jpg

0yfc0pn.jpg

Looks like that confirms what I had thought, the RS style holster should be acceptable for Hero TK approval, with the middle belt attachment.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, troopermaster said:

I agree with this but the holster on the promo trooper is attached with 2 rivets that appear to be painted white.

It does have the cut out but I believe is the same shape as the RS holster, so another version. I don't think I have a good side shot of the promo trooper holster to show, unfortunately.

Looks like there are 2 versions of the Promo Hero's with the different holsters/attachment, 2 rivets painted white and ANH style with 4 rivets.

TalhW6L.jpg Plccpkm.png

I think there's only one version with 4 rivets after looking closer. It looks as though there are 2 rivets on the left strap and 1 on the right, but most likely the 4th rivet is fitted on an angle and hidden by the detonator. I'll see if I have any better photos to confirm.

1 hour ago, troopermaster said:

I think there's only one version with 4 rivets after looking closer. It looks as though there are 2 rivets on the left strap and 1 on the right, but most likely the 4th rivet is fitted on an angle and hidden by the detonator. I'll see if I have any better photos to confirm.

Sounds feasible.

I think at least we have established that one Hero trooper in ANH had the RS type holster and riveted in the centre of the belt, the Promo Hero had 4 rivets (one can't be seen) but the holster does appear to have the cut out/notch, with that I think there is a greater chance of that holster being a RS type with perhaps the cut out/notch made so it could have either a SE-14 R or an E-11 holstered, it also does have the stitching on the front the same as the RS holster and appears to be angled upwards from front to back same as the RS.

Scoured the movie last night, almost frame by frame looking for this trooper/holster with a straight on view, low and behold... 

That said I could only find one trooper with that holster, though I'm all for adding it to the CRL if unanimously decided by the members and staff. 

ANH holster RS.JPG

• Like 1

The CRLs are meant to be the canonical trooper, and not to represent flubs and one-offs.  If people want to troop with this as an alternative that IMHO pretty cool, but just like Mr. No Stripes or the one or two TKs that if you freeze frame you can see have no holster, these are just things that weren't meant to be standard.  ANH is riddled with such types of variations as when you looked at it in the movies in '77 nobody noticed, so nobody cared about that level of consistency.

• Like 2

My sentiments exactly Paul
We are about uniformity as you would imagine it would be in the real world.
End of the day, we can't control what a trooper wears on a troop, they own their armour and it is theirs to do as they please.
I have lost count how many times I have said this old chestnut, We are not about prop replication, that is what the RPF are for, we are the 501st with our own set of standards. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

So to sum up Hero versions as both Luke and Han did not have the RS image holster but one of the Hero's did and the other we know had the com and grappling box and to include the PROMO version we have the following.

1 Hero with the tapered RS holster, sewn on opposite side and belt attachment in the middle with 2 rivets, wearing a TD with and no belt cover squares.

2 Hero Luke and 421 have the standard 4 rivet belt attachment E-11 style with com and grapping box

1 Hero the standard 4 rivet belt attachment E-11 style with TD

1 Hero PROMO tapered holster RS style with cut out/notch for E-11 or SE-14R (trooper could holster either style weapon), 4 rivets on belt, sewn on opposite side, wearing a TD.

Would anyone have the following.

Does anyone have an actual clear image of a standard E-11 holster as I've never found a really good one on it's own?

Does anyone know the reason behind the swap to the SE-14R for the promo trooper, I'm thinking it was for appearance in the photo with the SE-14 being a lot shorter?

• Like 1