Sign in to follow this  
Doyle3220

New Member from Austin,TX

HI!

I have been with and talked to Star Garrison and I am almost about to move onto my next project being an FOTK. Need a little advice though. I switched from doing commander cody to an FOTK because it's not easy to find all of the components. How bad is the price for an FOTK. I was planning on using KB PROPS for my kit and Geeky Pink's for the gaskets. What else am I missing besides the boots (Imperial Boots)?

I heard the FOTK is harder to do. But does look great when finished. Sorry I'm not more up to date on the FO stuff. But there are some great guys/gals here to help you out!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The main thing I heard from Star Garrison Members is that it takes an extra person to help you get it all on.

Hello and welcome aboard, there are some great threads to follow in the build section areas, Tony "Ukswrath" is a great one to start with, good luck with the build.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Hello and welcome aboard, there are some great threads to follow in the build section areas, Tony "Ukswrath" is a great one to start with, good luck with the build.

As I just saw this I found his thread!

• Like 1

Welcome!  

I have a KB Props Phasma, which is basically a FOTK with extra bits and a few changed out parts.  I would recommend them- I like the quality of their kit.  I would ask for it untrimmed, because while it means more work for you, I've now seen two trimmed (mine and an another FOTK who's going TLJ Executioner with it), and I think they were in a bit of a hurry and went a little close on some parts.  It could save you some headache and fixes down the line.  I totally forgot what I paid for her, but it wasn't outrageous and was within reason not a lot over a traditional TK.  This hobby is not cheap, armored costumes are more than soft, this is one of the higher end ones, but nowhere near a Vader, Boba, or Boushh.  

A friend of mine built his Anovos first-wave FOTK and he said it was a righteous pain in the behind.  I ended up duct-taping him into it (he's simply too big of a guy for the Anovos kits; but the whole experience makes a great story now) a few times for the TFA premiere, so I agreed with him there.  Now, having been working on Phasma... yeah, there's no way around it- the FOTK is just a... snot... of a kit to build.  Please don't let this discourage you, though!  If you want to do it, then you should do it.  There's plenty of help here, build threads, and hopefully your Garrison mates can at least offer support and basic guidance even if they're not FOTK know-it-alls (and I mean that as a compliment).  The TLJ Execution builder I mentioned is a first time 501st builder and potential member- he's doing great at it; where as I've build my TK, TIE, Shadow Scout, and several soft costumes and I'm having to work at it.  So it is possible you'll just be better at it than me.  

The FOTK kit is perhaps among the most complex armor kits out there.  So, it will take time and patience, but is by no means unattainable, even for a first timer.  Definitely check out the build threads, they will give you a great idea of what you're up against and how to tackle it.  You'll also feel more comfortable when you dive into your own armor after reviewing others' builds.  

I have Geeky Pink's gaskets and I love them- highly recommend.  Good quality and she's great on customer service.  

I'm not aware of other boot options than IB, but I've seen them in person and they seem to be fine.  They work in waves (open to take order, shut down to fill them, open again for new orders), so do plan ahead there.  (Phasma wears different boots so I have a total different approach for myself).  

Regardless, good luck!  Feel free to PM me if you want to talk more in depth about KB.  I can send you pictures of my kit, too, if you'd like.  

9 minutes ago, sharkbait said:

Welcome!  

I have a KB Props Phasma, which is basically a FOTK with extra bits and a few changed out parts.  I would recommend them- I like the quality of their kit.  I would ask for it untrimmed, because while it means more work for you, I've now seen two trimmed (mine and an another FOTK who's going TLJ Executioner with it), and I think they were in a bit of a hurry and went a little close on some parts.  It could save you some headache and fixes down the line.  I totally forgot what I paid for her, but it wasn't outrageous and was within reason not a lot over a traditional TK.  This hobby is not cheap, armored costumes are more than soft, this is one of the higher end ones, but nowhere near a Vader, Boba, or Boushh.  

A friend of mine built his Anovos first-wave FOTK and he said it was a righteous pain in the behind.  I ended up duct-taping him into it (he's simply too big of a guy for the Anovos kits; but the whole experience makes a great story now) a few times for the TFA premiere, so I agreed with him there.  Now, having been working on Phasma... yeah, there's no way around it- the FOTK is just a... snot... of a kit to build.  Please don't let this discourage you, though!  If you want to do it, then you should do it.  There's plenty of help here, build threads, and hopefully your Garrison mates can at least offer support and basic guidance even if they're not FOTK know-it-alls (and I mean that as a compliment).  The TLJ Execution builder I mentioned is a first time 501st builder and potential member- he's doing great at it; where as I've build my TK, TIE, Shadow Scout, and several soft costumes and I'm having to work at it.  So it is possible you'll just be better at it than me.  

The FOTK kit is perhaps among the most complex armor kits out there.  So, it will take time and patience, but is by no means unattainable, even for a first timer.  Definitely check out the build threads, they will give you a great idea of what you're up against and how to tackle it.  You'll also feel more comfortable when you dive into your own armor after reviewing others' builds.  

I have Geeky Pink's gaskets and I love them- highly recommend.  Good quality and she's great on customer service.  

I'm not aware of other boot options than IB, but I've seen them in person and they seem to be fine.  They work in waves (open to take order, shut down to fill them, open again for new orders), so do plan ahead there.  (Phasma wears different boots so I have a total different approach for myself).  

Regardless, good luck!  Feel free to PM me if you want to talk more in depth about KB.  I can send you pictures of my kit, too, if you'd like.  

I understand this isn't a cheap hobby... I am finishing up my R2-D2 right now and it's costed me a lot as well as my mando. I just want a kit that's worth the pain. I'll definitely keep in contact! thank you for all of your advice!

Edited by Doyle3220

1 minute ago, Doyle3220 said:

I understand this isn't a cheap hobby... I am finishing up my R2-D2 right now and it's costed me a lot as well as my mando. I just want a kit that's worth the pain. I'll definitely keep in contact! thank you for all of your advice!

If you're doing an R2, you know what your up against potential budget wise!  :laugh1:  You know your way around our territory, so you should be fine.  

1 minute ago, sharkbait said:

If you're doing an R2, you know what your up against potential budget wise!  :laugh1:  You know your way around our territory, so you should be fine.  

Thank you! Yeah its been 4k and that is the smallest when it comes to expenses. Follow Central Texas Droids on Facebook to see some of our droids!

• Like 1

Welcome to the FISD Matthew.

Welcome to the FISD Matt. 

I can tell you that Kevin make a great kit (I've built one of his Shoretrooper kits and helped a fellow trooper on a FOTK. It is by far the most complicated of the kits Stormtrooper kits to build but if you've built a R2 unit then you should be ok. Best of luck with your build and any questions ask away! 

Welcome :)