voice amp system

Just wondering about voice amp system. I’m really liking the TRamp system. And how that there’s not much to it like wires ect. And I know of some are wireless. And yes the feedback is a problem on some systems. What would work the best for the $$ . And give that stormtrooper sound .

I have tried a bunch of different systems...  here are my personal opinions:

1.  Aker amp (10 watt).-  A powerful little amp that does change your voice a bit.  Easy to use, and you can plug an MP3 player into it with TK chatter.

2.  TrooperTalk-  Bought an Iphone just to get this app.  Never got it to work.

3.  Trooper Amp (TRamp)- The remote button has 4 options for various TK responses, i.e. "Move along" etc., 2 buttons are for random responses on a "loop".  You can change the responses, (fairly easy if you are familiar with computers) and they are EXCELLENT...  It has an option to change your voice, but I can't seem to get it to work.  Downsides-  Expensive (over $200.00).  Long wait time (I waited 10 weeks).  A really nice setup with 2 types of mics included.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JFarwell said:

Just wondering about voice amp system. I’m really liking the TRamp system. And how that there’s not much to it like wires ect. And I know of some are wireless. And yes the feedback is a problem on some systems. What would work the best for the $$ . And give that

17 minutes ago, justjoseph63 said:

I have tried a bunch of different systems...  here are my personal opinions:

1.  Aker amp (10 watt).-  A powerful little amp that does change your voice a bit.  Easy to use, and you can plug an MP3 player into it with TK chatter.

2.  TrooperTalk-  Bought an Iphone just to get this app.  Never got it to work.

3.  Trooper Amp (TRamp)- The remote button has 4 options for various TK responses, i.e. "Move along" etc., 2 buttons are for random responses on a "loop".  You can change the responses, (fairly easy if you are familiar with computers) and they are EXCELLENT...  It has an option to change your voice, but I can't seem to get it to work.  Downsides-  Expensive (over $200.00).  Long wait time (I waited 10 weeks).  A really nice setup with 2 types of mics included.

stormtrooper sound .

Yes 200$ eeee . And You get 2mics that’s nice. 

I have a 10 watt aker (I recommend real Akers, I've had terrible luck with knockoffs and now just shell out and buy real ones), an iComm (gone through a few batteries, but otherwise fine) and a wireless mic (random generic brand from Amazon).  I also plug in an old iPod shuffle with TK chatter on it in a loop.  

I wanted the crackle in addition to the chatter in the background, changing my voice wasn't something I happened to be interested in.  (I still really get a kick out of it when little girls are enthralled because I'm a girl, too, and the look on little boys' faces when they hear me talk).  While expensive, I highly recommend the iComm.  And tip: buy the batteries for it in bulk, team up with other TKs with it and buy together to save on shipping.  They last for about 6 - 8 months of heavy trooping, longer if you troop less than every weekend.  

I've never heard of anyone having much luck with TrooperTalk, but I haven't played with it myself, so I really don't know.  I see a lot of "love it or hate it."  

The 10 watt is plenty loud- the 12 watt is just obnoxious.  I use the 10 for my Jawa, too, and I can still crank it up if needed.  It does add a bit of distortion and therefore voice changing, but it's not a voice changer and it's not dramatic, more electronic-sounding.  I highly recommend a wireless mic set up, because you can wear it or mount it in your helmet, and either way, the helmet is free of connections.  No trying to get connected with a bucket on, no not being able to take off your bucket without messing with it, just pull it off/put it on and done.  

Thanks. Yes I to do not want wires hanging. And the 10watt is ok . I saw a 15 or 20 watt. But I think I’ll stick with a 10. And for the money the icomm and amp box that will be in my chest plate. The TRamp is one device with a mic . It’s a bit more $$ I think just don’t want to have to add to many electronics to the chest plate. Thanks very much for your information very helpful..

18 hours ago, JFarwell said:

Thanks. Yes I to do not want wires hanging. And the 10watt is ok . I saw a 15 or 20 watt. But I think I’ll stick with a 10. And for the money the icomm and amp box that will be in my chest plate. The TRamp is one device with a mic . It’s a bit more $$ I think just don’t want to have to add to many electronics to the chest plate. Thanks very much for your information very helpful..

If you run out of room in your chest plate/don't have room to begin with, then you can also put stuff in the OII part of the back plate.  I don't have any extra room in the chest plate (a common issue for women, less so for most men), so I did helmet for everything originally, with speaker hovi tips.  The tips were great but just weren't loud enough in the end.  I then switched to everything in helmet except the aker, which I slipped into the extra space I had between my waist and hips at the kidney/ab area (another part women might have space at while most men don't).  When I re-work it again to re-introduce the iComm, it will end up in the back plate, most likely.  

I was looking at the hovi tip idea and ya I’m thinking that it would not be loud and there would be feed back issues. So I’ll stay with the TRamp system. The back plate is a great idea thanks for that . The thing I like about the TRamp system is that you don’t need the icomm. So less wires. I’m really excited to try it . 

18 minutes ago, JFarwell said:

I was looking at the hovi tip idea and ya I’m thinking that it would not be loud and there would be feed back issues. So I’ll stay with the TRamp system. The back plate is a great idea thanks for that . The thing I like about the TRamp system is that you don’t need the icomm. So less wires. I’m really excited to try it . 

And just wondering. We’re can I find stormtrooper chatter for my MP3 player. 

21 minutes ago, JFarwell said:

And just wondering. We’re can I find stormtrooper chatter for my MP3 player. 

Try this link it's a 100mb file

• Like 1

I have the Acker and Icomm and they work good but I have gotten tired of all the wires and the crappy mic that comes with it.

When I have some extra money I am going to try the system from Tony @ukswrath here. It is self contained in your helmet and pretty slick.

Edited by mikidymac
  • Like 1

My issue with the hovi mics was nothing to do with quality or how it worked, as both were fantastic, it just turned out to be far too quiet for the atmospheres I was in.  I'm not a particularly loud person anyway, and with the rest of the guys having loud akers and/or just being louder in general, I was only heard about half the time.  Plus I think my local area is just a louder group of people, especially when in groups.  

On 2/6/2019 at 12:20 PM, JFarwell said:

Just wondering about voice amp system. I’m really liking the TRamp system. And how that there’s not much to it like wires ect. And I know of some are wireless. And yes the feedback is a problem on some systems. What would work the best for the $$ . And give that stormtrooper sound .

I bought the VoiceBooster model 1505 from TK Systems on Amazon.  It does have some feedback issues, but if I keep it at about a 4 out of 10 on the volume level, it's fine.  Projects my voice pretty well, but it's a bit bulky since I made my armor pretty tight fitting.  Otherwise, so far, so good with it.

On 2/22/2019 at 8:32 AM, JFarwell said:

Thanks. Ya I hear that feedback is a problem. And to get that really nice sound out of it . What would be the best way to at least hide the feedback. 

The best way would be to isolate the mic from the speaker, you'll run into your biggest problems when your mic is able to pick up what's coming out of your speaker. 

I believe John still has some RomFX for sale. I switched to his set up last yr. Works great and it has some built in adjustable settings. It comes with everything but batteries. The speaker is smaller then an aker and just as loud.

Whatever you choose a talking TK is always better then a nodding one.

Good Luck

• 2 years later...