Making my Shims Passable for Centurion (WIP)

TK-42134

While I was doing research to see if the rivets that came with my Anovos kit were passable at Centurion, I found that my added shims were not. When I started my build, I knew I’d be adding shims to close the gaps at my sides. What I didn’t know, was that I’d be tempted to take my Armor to higher levels of visual standards. Anyways, I fashioned some shims out of a sheet of ABS and added them to my armor.

Here’s what they look like now:

Kidney Plate Left side

cea279f3e4390d85f524d5e4d48e9e12.jpg

Kidney Plate Right side

a19c7284b10502b65abd1c8db864811d.jpg

Now that I know I’d like to aim for Centurion, the seams on my shims should not be visible. This will take some work by making ABS Paste, filling the lines of the seams and making them magically disappear. I am at the very beginning stages of this project and will post more photos as I do each step. More to come, very soon......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Adding the ABS paste isn’t as daunting a project once you get going. The issiues I’ve found is sometimes you are left with tiny pinholes, yea these can be filled but depending with what you use it may need painting, then it’s a case of finding a paint which will match.

Be looking forward to your progress good luck 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Adding the ABS paste isn’t as daunting a project once you get going. The issiues I’ve found is sometimes you are left with tiny pinholes, yea these can be filled but depending with what you use it may need painting, then it’s a case of finding a paint which will match.

Be looking forward to your progress good luck 

I'll be using scraps from the trimming phase of my armor to make the ABS paste. 

• Like 1

Check through a few of the ABS paste threads, some acetones work better than others, some won't even melt the ABS, I had a devil of a time finding one that would work down here, managed to finally get one from a local supermart ;) 

• Like 1

I feel your pain!  I'm in the exact same boat you are.  Finding the time to erase those seams is really the one thing standing between me and my long-neglected Centurion application.

Fortunately, finding Acetone in California is not a problem.  Home Depot has a can of more than you'll need in 5 years for just a few dollars.

I wrote a primer on ABS paste some time ago, which may come in handy for you, if you haven't used it before (note I also have Anovos armor):

I look forward to seeing your progress!

26 minutes ago, kman said:

I feel your pain!  I'm in the exact same boat you are.  Finding the time to erase those seams is really the one thing standing between me and my long-neglected Centurion application.

Fortunately, finding Acetone in California is not a problem.  Home Depot has a can of more than you'll need in 5 years for just a few dollars.

I wrote a primer on ABS paste some time ago, which may come in handy for you, if you haven't used it before (note I also have Anovos armor):

I look forward to seeing your progress!

Thanks Kalani. I will definitely be using your recipe to do this project.

• Like 1

Once you are finished sanding with the ultra fine grit wet n dry sandpaper, get yourself some Novus Plastic polish. The kit comes with three grades 3 being for deep marks, 2 more refined polish and 1 for a super shine. Not only will you use it tO get that ABS paste on the shims looking great, you won't regret the overall shine it brings to you full kit after heavy trooping. It is well worth the investment, I and many others here  can garuntee it.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Sly11 said:

Once you are finished sanding with the ultra fine grit wet n dry sandpaper, get yourself some Novus Plastic polish. The kit comes with three grades 3 being for deep marks, 2 more refined polish and 1 for a super shine. Not only will you use it tO get that ABS paste on the shims looking great, you won't regret the overall shine it brings to you full kit after heavy trooping. It is well worth the investment, I and many others here  can garuntee it.

Andrew, I was just thinking about ordering some Novus yesterday as I have heard so much about it. I will probably order some along with the sandpaper I’ll be needing.

You won't regret it, it's just so good for cleaning scuff marks and scratches, and the shine after you give your armour a hand buff with a micro fibre cloth is beautiful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I use Novus polish myself and can highly recommend to have in your trooper accessory kit :duim:

• Like 1