Matneato's TK Stunt Build (Anovos)

Matneato

Hi All,

I ordered my Anovos TK kit May 4th 2017….15 months later it arrived!!! During that time I have been reading the FISD forums and patiently waiting to start my own TK build.

BBB Day was August 20th, my dog Kobie was excited as I was! (see photo below)

Since August I have been collecting all the required parts and materials. I officially started my build January 1st. I decided it was time to start a build thread to document progress and ask all my questions towards my goal of approval and joining the 501st and FISD family!

Parts List:

Armor: Anovos (delivered)

Helmet: Anovos (delivered)

Boots: Imperial Boots (delivered)

Neck seal: Anovos (delivered)

Canvas Belt(will measure for fit after trimming)

Holster: Anovos (delivered)

Flexible Hand Guards: @justjoseph63 (delivered)

Bracket System: Mr No Stripes (delivered)

E-11 Blaster

Resin Kit: Doopy Doos (delivered)

Completion Kit: @T-Jay (delivered)

Electronics:

iPhone 6: (have)

Trooper Talk: App Store (purchased – installed)

Aker 1506 10w Amp: Amazon (delivered)

Fans: (still reading and researching)

I started my build with the TD assembly.

I will post more photos of my progress in the next few days!

Thanks for taking the time to read my post!

Cheers!  

Anovos TK Stormtrooper Build

Aug 20, 2018 - Kobie is stoked!!!

Aug 20, 2018 - It's like Christmas!!

Aug 20, 2018 - First glance at that white armor!

Jan 1, 2019 - Official Start photo

I decided to start with the TD:

40033382103_de368b46c8_b.jpg

Measured the Anovos included pipe and cut at 7.25" (ruler dim way off in photo) - Ukswrath's Anovos build printed out in the background!

33122602188_f083ede4fa_b.jpg

Beveled the edge with dremmel

33122602908_c96b747b7b_b.jpg

Sanded end caps and control panel edges. Painted slotted pan head screws with semi-gloss black.

40033381993_99b180d7e5_b.jpg

Glued end caps (didn't have to give them a hot water bath)

33122602918_2ee8b4a38b_b.jpg

Glued control panel.

TD To Do:

- Drill holes and tap threads for screws

- Re-bend Anovos provided TD aluminum clips

- Attach aluminum clips

Edited by Matneato
  • Like 2

Off to a great start, Matt!  One thing I would suggest is that if you have any hesitations, questions or problems to post up photos of the area in question before cutting or gluing.  Blue tape will be a constant companion, so keep plenty on hand.  We are here for ya', sir!  

• Like 1

Thanks for all the great comments and support everyone!

Build Update:

BICEPS

Started construction of the biceps: trimming, sanding, and measuring cover strips

46352011594_02bc5f1abd_b.jpg

Trimmed the cover strips and started to glue them together: magnets are great for this!

46352015684_e97a3d3c62_b.jpg

I decided to glue both cover strips and biceps at the same time, had some help to align all parts.

46352011344_0dbcbd588d_b.jpg

24 Hour later....

46162086165_33a864fb21_b.jpg

I tried a test fitment and the piece sticking out at the top was digging into my armpit:

33201535908_a60f5835bd_b.jpg

I rounded the edges to make it more comfortable:

32228051047_7615f2fd46_b.jpg

Edited by Matneato
  • Like 1

Build Update:

FOREARMS:

Sized up my forearms for each side and blue taped together:

46352010684_ed23f3734b_b.jpg

Cut the cover strips, sanded, glued, clamped, magnetized, and hydrated :laugh1::

33294661758_8f59685a3b_b.jpg

24 hours later: Forearms Ready!

40204999333_d114e8bdf8_b.jpg47117887922_2afb5dcd93_b.jpg

LEVEL THREE REQUIREMENT - No return edge at wrist:

47117887562_5a6f2e625a_b.jpg

Now to add the elastic between the biceps and forearms.

• Like 1

QUESTION:

PS Thanks in advance!! :)

Any advice on how to connect the biceps and forearms with elastic? I have read that a 0.25" gap between the town parts is ideal. I will take some reference photos tonight to upload.

If anyone has any reference photos, I would great appreciate it!

40204999483_ff99aa6dd5_b.jpg

DSC02285.jpg

DSC03162_zpsd48bd219.jpg

General strapping, most use elastic with snaps (if you double snap you have a spare in case one fails) other glue directly or use Velcro, I like the snaps so when the elastic stretches over time you can just remove and replace.

Snap placement https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/24487-diagram-of-snap-placement/

R63O0di.jpg

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

DSC02285.jpg

DSC03162_zpsd48bd219.jpg

General strapping, most use elastic with snaps (if you double snap you have a spare in case one fails) other glue directly or use Velcro, I like the snaps so when the elastic stretches over time you can just remove and replace.

Snap placement https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/24487-diagram-of-snap-placement/

R63O0di.jpg

Excellent! Thank you! That diagram is very helpful!

• Like 1

Awesome work so far!! The before and after shot of your biceps gave me some serious, vicarious satisfaction. So smooooth. :duim:

Forearms look awesome too. Great work on the wrists!

As for strapping, I second the double-snap method. I like being able to disassemble my armour for storage and the reliability of two snaps per connection is excellent. Some of my straps are nylon webbing and others are elastic, depending on how much flex is required. My bicep-forearm connections are elastics.

Something to consider—pulling on elastic straps can weaken and ultimately ruin the snap settings, so if you go this route it would be best to reinforce the strap somehow. There are plenty of ways to do this: fold over the elastic so that it's twice as thick, use a soldering iron to cauterize the hole, or you can sandwich a piece of ABS in there, if your snaps are long enough, like this:

3p4iSM6.jpg

I like this method because then the stress isn't at all put on the elastic when detaching the strap. A heads-up, though—I broke about a dozen snaps trying to get them set in there properly. :lol:

Best of luck and have a great time with your build! Looking forward to seeing it come together.

1 hour ago, MakeNoiseMan said:

Awesome work so far!! The before and after shot of your biceps gave me some serious, vicarious satisfaction. So smooooth. :duim:

Forearms look awesome too. Great work on the wrists!

As for strapping, I second the double-snap method. I like being able to disassemble my armour for storage and the reliability of two snaps per connection is excellent. Some of my straps are nylon webbing and others are elastic, depending on how much flex is required. My bicep-forearm connections are elastics.

Something to consider—pulling on elastic straps can weaken and ultimately ruin the snap settings, so if you go this route it would be best to reinforce the strap somehow. There are plenty of ways to do this: fold over the elastic so that it's twice as thick, use a soldering iron to cauterize the hole, or you can sandwich a piece of ABS in there, if your snaps are long enough, like this:

3p4iSM6.jpg

I like this method because then the stress isn't at all put on the elastic when detaching the strap. A heads-up, though—I broke about a dozen snaps trying to get them set in there properly. :lol:

Best of luck and have a great time with your build! Looking forward to seeing it come together.

Hi Brendan! Thanks for the awesome feedback!!

That's a great idea with the ABS in between the elastic, I think I will go that route when I use snaps. I feel your pain with trying to set snaps through plastic and thicker material, I have also broken quite a few snaps on other projects, I might just have a heavy hand with the hammer LOL.

1 hour ago, MakeNoiseMan said:

Also, HOLY COW your dog is adorable!! Welcome to FISD Kobie. :D

Haha, I think I should make him his own armor! :smiley-sw013:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MakeNoiseMan said:

You could call them TK9 units!

Image result for stormtrooper dog

New to the legion costume info although I'm not sure they would allow dogs :laugh1: 

• Like 2

BUILD UPDATE:

BACK PLATE, KIDNEY, POSTERIOR

CHEST and AB

My build has been heavily influenced by @ukswrath Anovos TK Stunt build. I decided to go the same route by installing the bracket system. I purchased a bracket system from Mr. No Stripes.

I have tried to follow and use the same methods and materials as the movie armor where possible. 

I got carried away and unfortunately didn't take photos of the trimming and sanding process of the torso parts. I also, missed some "BLUE TAPE" fitment photos.

After drilling the 7/64 mounting holes for the M3 screws, I didn't like that they stuck out of the ABS due to the beveled head on the screw. I decided to countersink all the screws; in order to do this I CA glued 1.5mm shims on the inside edge of all torso parts and then drilled through the shims at the same locations as the previously drilled mounting holes. I then used a drill bit the same diameter as the screw heads, and carefully by hand; created the countersinks.

I also made the following modifications to the bracket system:

- replaced the 8mm M3 provided screws with 10mm ones (for washers and so the screws passed the nylon locking nut)

- made 6 new 1" elastic loops with line 24 snaps installed (this is so I can detach the Back Plate, and Chest from the rest of the torso - easier to transport)

- added M3 flat washers to either side of the bracket (this was mainly to added height to the bracket so I could fit a line 24 snap under the bracket, photo and description below)

BACK PLATE, KIDNEY, POSTERIOR

Trimmed, sanded, mounting holes drilled, shim glued and drilled, countersink, and bracket system installed on all 3 pieces.

After a "BLUE TAPE" fitment, I made the shoulder straps and glued them in place.

46316479415_9bf0d8e98e_b.jpg

New 1" elastic connection loops installed for the kidney to back plate.

I missing a snap on the posterior, I have to go buy some more haha.

46316479215_8cdd3d3f8e_b.jpg

Kideny to Posterior bracket system with new 10mm screws and flat washers.

46316479035_dd0fb5f28e_b.jpg

Kidney to Ab connection. I used 1.5mm ABS to reinforce this connection, I then drilled the holes for the split rivets and installed the 1" webbing and washers.

46316479145_ca515d15cc_b.jpg

Assembled Back, Kidney, and Posterior.

47178849262_1297b9272c_b.jpg

CHEST and AB

Trimmed, sanded, mounting holes drilled, shim glued and drilled, countersink, and bracket system installed on Chest and Ab. I glued the ABS shoulder straps to the chest, and installed popper snaps to either side of the chest. I decided to use 2 snaps on the left side rather than gluing the elastic to the chest as per the movie armor.

Chest - Right connection

46316479235_b5eea07470_b.jpg

Chest - Left connection

46316479315_a297f4480a_b.jpg

Chest to Ab connection with new 1" elastic connection loops installed

46316479175_329ce0eae5_b.jpg

Chest to Ab Connection - Full view

I installed the popper snaps for the belt and upper right hand side L3 required snap on the Ab.

46316479295_a035f53d8e_b.jpg

I painted the button plates (had to do this twice LOL)

47230924891_7aa060530d_b.jpg

Glued Large button plate to Ab.

47178849222_1223de2b75_b.jpg

All for now.

Thanks again for reading my posts and updates!!!

Matt