Husky68 ANH TK (trimmed AP)

husky68

More action with the ultrasonic cutter,  cleaning up cover strips and will need to sand them down.  I like the straight look but open to suggestions.

O3cY3VU.jpg

9NkrgsH.jpg

X7YiznL.jpg

8wBVBs9.jpg

Try not to have cover strips passing the armor sections, they can catch.

ANHupperrightthighwithboxdetail.jpgStormtrooperBodyArmourComparison-20.jpg DSC03171_zps60e5b112.jpg

Also try adding a little off cuts of abs behind your thigh lower ridge gaps, will just look a little nicer ;) 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Heading off on vacation for a few weeks so build will be put on hold.  Took some pictures to show my progress to friends while visiting.

oo0TRXk.png

yZlFWQ0.png

MZAckhi.png

So much done and so much remains,  feels like a mountain that I will never reach the summit until that day that I realize I am there. 

Enjoy your summer everyone.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, husky68 said:

feels like a mountain that I will never reach the summit until that day that I realize I am there. 

Well said.  Oh man, I know that feeling. 

Looking good.

Looking great so far! The locking tabs are a very neat idea, hopefully they will stand up to the rigors of trooping. 

Don't worry about what's left. Enjoy the journey and the learning experience of building your armor. Once you get your approval and go for the first troop it will be worth the time and effort. 

• 3 weeks later...

Returned from my trip to find new packages waiting for me.

eT5BrXW.jpg

These boots look great and require a good hard pull to get on.  The length seems long but they are pointed boots and the width is perfect so a smaller size would not have worked.

W5AkB6v.jpg

These elastics are sent from JP Garrison member Dan, TK52394.  They are doubled up and machine stitched making them perfect for my issues with shoulder bells.  Much appreciated and looking forward to trooping with him.

My armor has been kept inside and cooler than the patio outside in the Tokyo burning summer where I normally keep it.  I'll likely pull it out this weekend and get back to work on it, attempting a tricky shim on the shins to make them fit better.

• Like 4

Put on the pants and boots and slipped on the shins.  Does not look as bad as expected but does seem complicated.

ZDUZOVf.jpg

So the angle is still required in a V ( much like forearms and thighs ) to fit my shins.  Seems the left gap is only 13mm while the right gets up to around 25mm,  odd as both calves are relatively the same. 

Is the bottom near the ankle supposed to be as tight and fit as shown?  If so I will need to trim some away. 

The difficulty of measuring while wearing and likely trickiness of making these fit might be part of my lack of motivation since my return from vacation.  Jetlag is almost gone and rain keeping me inside.

6 hours ago, husky68 said:

The difficulty of measuring while wearing and likely trickiness of making these fit might be part of my lack of motivation since my return from vacation.  Jetlag is almost gone and rain keeping me inside.

With this part I used some help from my wife, It's too difficult to adjust it by one self.

Keep on doing a great work. almst there trooper!!!  :peace:

Depending on the different makers I've seen the odd sized comparisons on quite a few.

You don't want them too tight as they may dig into your ankles while walking, also wear the top coat of the leather.

I added a little foam to the insides of mine which also helps keep them a little higher as I had a big gap between shins and thighs.

You may need to trim to the V but just do small cuts and try in between, better off too big than too small ;) 

• Like 1

Around the top area, is that the closest they will close? How much return edge do you have around the top? If there is a significant return edge, you can try trimming it back a a little at a time to see if that help close the gaps more. 

2 minutes ago, Bulldog44 said:

Around the top area, is that the closest they will close?

Yeah, that is taped up pretty tight with that gap,  maybe get it closer to 20mm on right opening up the bottom.  Might have to get someone to come by to give me a hand or take them to an armor party.

Thinking I will move on with other sections and return to this when I can get another set of eyes and hands.

• Like 2

Just now, husky68 said:

Yeah, that is taped up pretty tight with that gap,  maybe get it closer to 20mm on right opening up the bottom.  Might have to get someone to come by to give me a hand or take them to an armor party.

Thinking I will move on with other sections and return to this when I can get another set of eyes and hands.

If I get a chance to head into Tokyo soon I will help you with this. Just did my Anovos shins in July and it was a slow careful process of test fit, trim, test fit again, trim a bit more.... 

• Like 2

Trying to build my motivation back up.  Yesterday went out to a store called Tokyu Hands and bought some tools.  Today decided to get past my nerves and took out the paint materials I bought months ago.  Took a deep breath and started painting.

EI2crqf.jpg

eNxZEgd.jpg

UmK3T61.jpg

After I finished painting I used a toothpick to clean up some of the lines and the odd spot of paint that got away from me.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ABS80 said:

The grey shouldn't be dull, just add a coat of semi gloss over it for a semi gloss finish, also double check frown you have to extend paint beyond last untrimmed tooth on each side, check movie helmet!

I did think the grey was too flat but as the paint was recommended thought it might be ok, hopefully easy enough to shine it up with some semi-gloss.

I've seen the examples of uncut tooth and paint going past it.  I kinda like the way it is but since I have to break out the paint anyway for gloss might as well extend the frown.

Looks great. 

Good catch Mark on the frown paint. Yes, its hard to see but the paint should extend past the uncut tooth. Easy to add that Robert. Wasn't sure if its the lighting but in comparison to the grey on the top trap stickers, the ear grey does appears flatter. That would also go for the frown grey too. 

4 hours ago, husky68 said:

I did think the grey was too flat but as the paint was recommended thought it might be ok, hopefully easy enough to shine it up with some semi-gloss.

I've seen the examples of uncut tooth and paint going past it.  I kinda like the way it is but since I have to break out the paint anyway for gloss might as well extend the frown.

I use Testors 1138  its a close match to decals color, but a gloss coat will work perfect!

Added some more grey, XS-66.  Please comment if I should bring it back a bit because I went as far as seemed possible.

Vvxl7zb.jpg

tttbtmC.jpg

I also welcome any comments on the ears,  thin out the black maybe but seem proportionate with the decals and at some angles seems fine.

TKhH2wF.jpg

adXUb2S.jpg

LMbRc6y.jpg

S9JprbL.jpg