Husky68 ANH TK (trimmed AP)

husky68

Hi,

Last year with the presence of 501st members at Solo and Tokyo Comic-Con,  it gave me the final push to pursue my own armor and membership.  I've spend two month obsessing over the forums, CRL, and Youtube to decided to order a trimmed AHK TK kit from Authentic Props.  Being a Canadian living in Tokyo provides some challenges but I have found support from local members already which has been great.  I'm a very detailed and nervous guy,  part of my profession, so it will be measure twice, write it down, measure again, question the accuracy of measuring concept, then maybe ask everyone to confirm my measurements.   This might take a while.

Armor : Authentic Props Arrived
Soft Hand Guards : Authentic Props Arrived
TD Clips : Authentic Props Arrived
Holster : Authentic Props Arrived
Gloves : Authentic Props  Arrived

Belt : Authentic Props  Arrived
Neck Seal : Trooperbay - Arrived

S-Trim : Trooperbay - Arrived
Comms: Ukswarth  - Arrived
Boots : IB - Arrived
Undersuit : Uniqlo
E-11 Blaster : 3D print project - Started assembly

Fans: Still researching

Mark from AP endured many emails from my timezone to his and was very helpful and supportive.  The BBB has started the journey and with email updates set on the tracking number I will follow its progress up to the minute.  I figured once I had the tracking number I could start this build log and have some of you wait along with me in anticipation of a show.

Edited by husky68
  • Like 3

Congrats on taking the plunge!  A build thread is a great way to get started.  Post any questions you have.  Once the gear starts to arrive, post lots of pictures (you will have to use a image hosting app like imgur or tapatalk).

There are some great threads in the "getting started" section for what materials and tools you will need.  Or, check out some of the other builds - many people will add supply lists and where they purchased different parts.  There are also some really detailed tutorials for various aspects of the build process in the "how to" section.

You will be happy with the AP armour (I have two kits and love them).  Enjoy the build!

• 2 weeks later...

More exciting than waking up to see a light snow falling in Tokyo was when in the afternoon the much anticipated BBB arrived.

I7cW9v6.jpg

Likely everyone here knows the excitement like a kid on Christmas day.  But I felt like both the kid hoping for a new bike and the dad dreading the task of putting it together.  I started the careful process of unpacking each item,  inspecting it and putting them on the floor.

5PTrnuj.jpg

You will notice this is as mentioned is a trimmed set,  with the exception of the calves which I asked for extra space.  It looks like all the trim lines were followed nice and clean.

InIVuum.jpg

pkOzcnE.jpg

G1kDxOe.jpg

31eCfOr.jpg

xgZkmk1.jpg

A quick change to the undersuit to give some pieces a try and things don't seem right.  I am not a small guy at 5'10" and about 210lbs but hoped that my calves would be the only issue with normal trim lines.  As I tried on pieces I started to worry that parts were not big enough.  First the calves seem impossible to close even with extra outside of the visible trim line.  Then the forearms  seem like they might close but it would be super tight fit.  The waist seemed fine since that had been cut to measurements along with the included belt.  This put me into a panic and I stopped taking pictures and put everything back in the BBB,  needing both to calm myself and given limit living space could not leave plastic all over the place.

It may be just an over reaction,  things might be fine and there was plenty of ABS strips included that at worst makes shims possible.  This kit looks great and Mark from AP had great communication and effort to get the BBB to me in Japan.  I'm sure he followed the trim lines and left some extra in the shins as requested.  If this kit was untrimmed I would have had to a lot of work and likely needed to go outside of the normal trim lines.

I won't give up,  I'll work the problems out and with support from those here on FISD and local garrison members I will get my white armor dreams fulfilled.

Edited by husky68

1 hour ago, husky68 said:

I won't give up,  I'll work the problems out and with support from those here on FISD and local garrison members I will get my white armor dreams fulfilled.

That's the spirit, Robert!  At this point, my advice would be:  grab some blue painter's tape and use it to temporarily attach the calves and forearms and then post up some photos of how they fit.  (As many angles as possible).  After that, we can better help you with specific issues.  Are all the cover strips pre-cut to different widths?

1 hour ago, justjoseph63 said:

Are all the cover strips pre-cut to different widths?

The ABS strips are all roughly 5cm x 70cm and there is 14 of them.  Seems more than enough for cover strips and some shims although will be careful to waste as little as possible.

Decided maybe I should start with the usual first step and assemble the helmet.  I think the eye and teeth trimming is excellent although the ears might sit better with a bit more tweaking.  Would like to hear opinions on left ear if too low and the angle of both could be better but not sure I can make the adjustment as holes are already drilled.

qgnEASW.jpg

AyB6jcR.jpg

kumFjHU.jpg

qDbStDf.jpg

49MWqAt.jpg

Edited by husky68

Since those holes that were already drilled in the sides of the helmet will be covered by the ears and never visible, you can ignore them if you want and just drill new holes to fit the ear to your liking.

A.J.

7 hours ago, A.J. Hamler said:

Since those holes that were already drilled in the sides of the helmet will be covered by the ears and never visible, you can ignore them if you want and just drill new holes to fit the ear to your liking.

A.J.

I can see how the holes would be covered,  especially since the new holes would not be too far off the existing ones.  Just nervous to be putting holes in the armor,  plus need to buy a drill.  Its like when wearing new shoes trying to avoid that first scuff.

Just like a first paint chip on a car. Armor does get pretty beat up over time, amazing how many scratches I have on my underneath's of the forearms, always seem to scuff them on things..

Anyway first drill hole, cut, sand, scratch we all do the same, worry we are going to make a mistake, then afterwards think "why was I even worried it was so easy". I'm sure you will do fine :D

12 hours ago, husky68 said:

The ABS strips are all roughly 5cm x 70cm and there is 14 of them.  Seems more than enough for cover strips and some shims although will be careful to waste as little as possible.

Decided maybe I should start with the usual first step and assemble the helmet.  I think the eye and teeth trimming is excellent although the ears might sit better with a bit more tweaking.  Would like to hear opinions on left ear if too low and the angle of both could be better but not sure I can make the adjustment as holes are already drilled.

qgnEASW.jpg

AyB6jcR.jpg

kumFjHU.jpg

qDbStDf.jpg

49MWqAt.jpg

Hi Robert

For all the leg parts I left as much material as possible,  the left ear is not too low, if you look at the movie original it has the same spacing at the top showing some overlap compared to the right, you can tighten the screws a bit more they seem a bit loose on the round ear section, both left and right ear are trimmed right at the trim line can't leave anymore material but you can sand in strategic places to bring the hook section of the Right ear closer minimizing the gap, but like the original gaps are normal especially the right one seem to always have more gaps.

• Like 1

Thanks Mark,

All the trim work is fine and no complaints there, many AP kits at centurion level with similar ears. Certainly lots of variations in both movie used and 501st members. I’m just thinking of how to tweak the ears for my own preference and look.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, husky68 said:

Thanks Mark,

All the trim work is fine and no complaints there, many AP kits at centurion level with similar ears. Certainly lots of variations in both movie used and 501st members. I’m just thinking of how to tweak the ears for my own preference and look.

Yes with a bit of tweaking I'm sure you will achieve desired prefference, if you prefer more gaps that will be easy ;)

Unless you use a drill on a regular basis, you can get a reamer.  It is a tool similar to an awl that has blades built in on the sides, and all you do is twist it in until you get the right width hole you need.  VERY easy to both use/control and no need for a drill.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dubro-2331-Body-Reamer-Scissors-Set-3-R-C-Body-Tools-T-Maxx-E-Maxx/390937023826?hash=item5b05a99552:g:Z1UAAOSwr~dZjfvK:rk:6:pf:0

• Like 1

So next will be the arms,  which appears both sides are identical and should not matter which I put together.  The biceps taped together flush are big enough for me to extend and flex my arm.  The only issue is they dig into my armpit when my arm is fully bend,  I think I have seen others trim the top and will look around for suggested lines.

Q5wNr5n.jpg

nZVQ2Yr.jpg

NmTomLO.jpg

XSLJdN4.jpg

P1aB5j9.jpg

The forearms are going to be an issue.  First the edges don't want to line up,  curve of the two parts different and need to be taped up well to keep them together.  With the edges butted together it is near impossible to get my hand through the end.  Most of the return edge has been removed,  maybe just a slight bit more but not likely it would be enough.  The fit is also tight up the whole forearm, possibly uncomfortable for any extended period of time.  So I added a slight gap, about 3mm, in the front and 10mm in the back,  still snug on the forearm but hand wiggles through with a little more ease.  not great but better.

wppAYuA.jpg

Pv8wlSt.jpg

aomCAhD.jpg

vAdaWsf.jpg

cKh2Xgb.jpg

One of the more annoying parts of trying to fit is the corners are still sharp and bent inward.  It catch on my under suit which feels like it will tear it or me open.  There is an armor party on the 16th I hope to attend and may hold off on any cuts or cover strips till then.

Edited by husky68

Hi Robert. Finally checking in here. Good start. Helmet looking good. The ear spacing is fine but as already suggested a bit of strategic sanding will eliminate the gaps more. 

For the forearms the outer right half should have 12 dimples if I am correct. The left having 11. If I am correct it seems you have the left outer forearm on your right arm. I will double check in this. The CRL does not mention this. 

If you can post up some pics of both forearms side by side that might help see.

After figuring out the outer forearm parts you can move to addressing the wrist opening when you get the two halves aligned properly. you still have a slight return edge curving inwards at the wrist end. That can be removed giving you a bit more room. 

I can’t make the armor party on the 16th but can skype/FaceTime. Sometimes easy to explain that way than through photos. Let me know if you want to give that a try.

16 minutes ago, Bulldog44 said:

For the forearms the outer right half should have 12 dimples if I am correct. The left having 11. If I am correct it seems you have the left outer forearm on your right arm. I will double check in this. The CRL does not mention this. 

Thanks Brian,  the AP kit has identical arms including thumb print on both biceps and it appears 11 dimples on both forearms.  As it is not specific in the CRL and other AP kits have made centurion this should be fine.  

I appreciate the offer to skype/facetime and will apologize now if I abuse it.  he he

Here's some of forearm references, these have 12 recesses but I've never seen a specific amount of dimples needed in the CRL's or higher levels ;)

DSC02287.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Here's some of forearm references, these have 12 recesses but I've never seen a specific amount of dimples needed in the CRL's or higher levels ;)

DSC02287.jpg

Q, you stand correct. Not CRL required. Thanks. I think I always get stuck on the RS Props original suit specifications. My RS armor has the 12 recesses right arm, 11 on the left.  I was feverish copying that particular suit so I often get those details confused with CRL requirements.

My apologies Robert for mixing that up.

In that case, you can align the halves more toward the elbow end to give you more room near the wrist opening. Then trim the wrist end so the edges equally meet up. No return edge needed there.   First tape it up and test fit how that fits first before breaking out the scissors. 

• Like 1