Imperials in The Mandalorian

Thrawndike bar

Who here is excited for The Mandalorian?  I know I am!  I love Mandalorians, so this show is a dream come true for me!  This show just seems to get better and better as they release more info on it.  One very exciting thing is the appearance of Stormtroopers and Deathtroopers on set.

TUMjoLE.jpg

As expected, the TK's appear to be Rogue One/Solo style.   It would be interesting if Disney took into consideration that this show takes place after ROTJ,  So the troopers should be styled after ROTJ troopers.  They could add trim to the chest, back, ab, and kidney.  And use snowtrooper hand guards.  White soles on the boots would be cool too.  It's hard to tell from the picture whether they did this or not,  but I'm not very hopeful. 

I'm also hoping that they introduce more upgraded Imperials.  That would be cool if they redid the Scout trooper, or Snowtrooper.  I'm pretty sure they won't though. 

• Like 2

I'm willing to bet they'll be most like R1/Solo, but with just enough differences to warrant a new CRL.  Because I am convinced LFL figured out a long time ago, and passed said knowledge onto Disney, that "These 501st idiots will do anything we put on screen!" and therefore make it a challenge for their costume creators.  :laugh1:  Or maybe that's just my conspiracy theory for the day.  LFL/Disney really doesn't follow its own patterns on costuming- as seen with how the Imperial Officer ranks just about completely change from movie to movie, and from OT to new stuff.  So I'd be surprised if they noticed, or cared, about it taking place after ROTJ.  But to their credit, R1 and Solo troopers don't look too far off from OT, which they're close to in timeline, so they at least gave it some thought.  

I'm looking forward to the series- shockingly, every picture or casting update has actually increased my intrigue, rather than damped it (as with TFA and TLJ).

The one on the right is missing his cod, isn't he?  (Obviously they're not in full uniform and that won't be how it looks on screen, but I couldn't help but notice).  

Going on past pieces of Star Wars being put out there I'll leave judgment until I actually see it on screen.

With armor Disney/LFL isn't concerned with following exactly what has been used in the past, yes it would be great for us as fans to have the armor looking as if it followed a time lineage, heaven knows what the makers where thinking with the R1 stormtrooper, it should have resembled those seen in ANH not a completely different design.

At least this stormtrooper looks excited to be there, just check out his cod ;) 

aS1wK9U.png

• Like 1

I didn't mind the R1 updates, adding detail and making them more stunt-proof etc., but it drives me bonkers they used the same armor in Solo when it takes place like a decade earlier, I'd have expected a Clone/TK hybrid.

Keep in mind this is a TV series on their new paid site for Disney streaming. So the budget is going to be less than a featured film and they will have to do what they can to keep the budget reasonable. If I had to guess I am sure they are going to use what costumes are available to them and given that Rogue was not that long ago and there are TK’s and Death Troopers they probably shared costume departments. I am sure with all the future plans for the franchise the Mouse is to smart to trash costumes after every film.

I am sure there will be some fun surprises but those in the know are under NDA contracts as typical. Once it airs I am sure the boards will be blowing up.

But yes, Favreu and Filoni are going to do an awesome job and I am sure they know how much the 501st puts the fan in fanatic.

I didn't mind the R1 updates, adding detail and making them more stunt-proof etc., but it drives me bonkers they used the same armor in Solo when it takes place like a decade earlier, I'd have expected a Clone/TK hybrid.

I agree but you have to remember 99.9% of the audience can’t tell the difference.
  • Like 1

I liked the R1 Stormtroopers.  The only changes that I thought were odd was the longer back plate and the different ab/kidney strapping.  I would have preferred a canvas belt and E-11 holster instead of a plastic armor plate too.

I guess the troopers weren't different for Solo because they were in it so little.  The costume department didn't feel it was necessary to make a whole new suit.  

The Stormtroopers in the Thrawn comic wore full phase II Clone trooper armor.  

----------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

15 hours ago, mikidymac said:

I agree but you have to remember 99.9% of the audience can’t tell the difference.

Right?  Then there's me in the audience trying to keep myself from screeching "That motherf***** has TFA BOOTS!!!" in that scene with Chirrut when he says "let them pass in peace".  There's a great cinematic shot of a close of up of a TK boot shifting in the dirt and I love it because I love cinematography and it's a very well done shot.  But I had to train myself not to be irrationally angry that the boots were so wrong for pre-OT and so obviously TFA/new trilogy looking.  At least my Squad mates watching with me understood.  

If anyone who's new around here is reading this, this is what you have to look forward to- noticing all the minute details whether you want to or not.  It's great, I swear!  

Just now, sharkbait said:

Right?  Then there's me in the audience trying to keep myself from screeching "That motherf***** has TFA BOOTS!!!" in that scene with Chirrut when he says "let them pass in peace".  There's a great cinematic shot of a close of up of a TK boot shifting in the dirt and I love it because I love cinematography and it's a very well done shot.  But I had to train myself not to be irrationally angry that the boots were so wrong for pre-OT and so obviously TFA/new trilogy looking.  At least my Squad mates watching with me understood.  

If anyone who's new around here is reading this, this is what you have to look forward to- noticing all the minute details whether you want to or not.  It's great, I swear!  

If that is the case, you probably shouldn't watch the Mandalorian ;).

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mikidymac said:

Keep in mind this is a TV series on their new paid site for Disney streaming. So the budget is going to be less than a featured film and they will have to do what they can to keep the budget reasonable. If I had to guess I am sure they are going to use what costumes are available to them and given that Rogue was not that long ago and there are TK’s and Death Troopers they probably shared costume departments. I am sure with all the future plans for the franchise the Mouse is to smart to trash costumes after every film.

I am sure there will be some fun surprises but those in the know are under NDA contracts as typical. Once it airs I am sure the boards will be blowing up.

But yes, Favreu and Filoni are going to do an awesome job and I am sure they know how much the 501st puts the fan in fanatic.

The Mandalorian has a $100,000,000  budget.

Going on past pieces of Star Wars being put out there I'll leave judgment until I actually see it on screen.

With armor Disney/LFL isn't concerned with following exactly what has been used in the past, yes it would be great for us as fans to have the armor looking as if it followed a time lineage, heaven knows what the makers where thinking with the R1 stormtrooper, it should have resembled those seen in ANH not a completely different design.

At least this stormtrooper looks excited to be there, just check out his cod  

aS1wK9U.png&key=a7c482b7bae7aee5da36fb65257757de4461e3f4b66d84bba9f1f7ab643f4349

This is in the new centurion CR, it’s got to be around 5mm right? oh wait that was brow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thrawndike bar said:

The Mandalorian has a $100,000,000  budget.

And? The Mandalorian is 8 episodes. TFA was $308 million so don’t expect the Mandalorian to pull out all the stops. Remember this is the first live action tv series, not a huge budget feature film.

Still, I can't wait so see what they do with what they have. Should be fun.

Edited by mikidymac

That’s more than game of thrones started on, and more than the Blackwater Bay season cost.  Whilst not as crazy money like GOT has gotten to it’s atill not exactly pocket change. 

30 minutes ago, themaninthesuitcase said:

That’s more than game of thrones started on, and more than the Blackwater Bay season cost.  Whilst not as crazy money like GOT has gotten to it’s still not exactly pocket change. 

I would agree. 

What I am trying to say is based on the synopsis for this show it is about the Mandalorian and the outer rim after the fall of the empire so I am sure it isn't just about TK's and not enough to worry too much about the consistency of the OTTK costumes.

I'm sure Stormtroopers won't be a huge part of the story.  Though I did hear that Deathtroopers will be the main antagonists in the show.  There are rumors that Thrawn will be in it too.  That would explain why Deathtroopers are there.

Edited by Thrawndike bar

On 1/25/2019 at 1:36 PM, Thrawndike bar said:

I'm sure Stormtroopers won't be a huge part of the story.  Though I did hear that Deathtroopers will be the main antagonists in the show.  There are rumors that Thrawn will be in it too.  That would explain why Deathtroopers are there.

I would LOVE to see a live-action Thrawn.  (Last Command Series is still amazing after all these years).  And I also like Deathtroopers quite a lot, and wouldn't say no to more of them on screen.  I do really wish it weren't going to be on Disney's special snowflake streaming.  I'm not going to be paying for it (just like I still haven't seen Discovery because CBS did the special snowflake streaming thing), but I'll just find someone who has it or just wait till it comes out more broadly, as I always do.  

I don't have any streaming services.  I bought each season of Rebels as it came out on DVD.  I think I will watch it with some friends or family who are planning on getting the streaming service, but I will be buying it when it come out on DVD.

There have also been reports that Thrawn will be in episode 9.  Matt Smith has been cast for the movie, and I think he REALLY looks like Thrawn.

gTuQkDH.jpg

Same jawline.

• Like 1