repentance3232 WTF ANH HERO BUILD

repentance3232

7 hours ago, repentance3232 said:

I have a concern. I E-6000 shoulder covers for 24hrs and realize 5 bumps in the front was to much. That caused no bumps on back plate. I removed shoulder covers and reglued. The chemical in E-6000 caused the chest plate to rise in a slight deformation. 

I also have never heard of  E-6000 reacting to ABS, and unlike CA (super) glue it does not heat up while curing.  If I didn't know any better, I would say that the clamps you used to hold it on while the glue dried were really tight and actually made an indentation in the shoulder tab.  The only ones I have seen you use are the plastic ones (and the metal ones for the sniper knee) which usually don't have that sort of strength.

x7YYe3y.jpg?1

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, troopermaster said:

E6000 can deform ABS if too much glue has been applied and if using excessive clamping force while curing. 

E6000, never seen it happen. Maybe depending on the material?

Clamping force yes

I've seen ABS distort with a particular make of snap and E6000, must have been the coating reacting with the glue and causing heat, this was on AM armor a recruit was working on, I've never come across the issue myself while building armor.

1 hour ago, ukswrath said:

E6000, never seen it happen. Maybe depending on the material?

Clamping force yes

I think you might have misunderstood what I said. I mean using too much glue and too much clamping force together (a combination of the two) is what can cause deformation. I have not seen E6000 cause any problems on it's own but that doesn't mean it couldn't happen, especially with fake glue that's going around.

7 minutes ago, troopermaster said:

I think you might have misunderstood what I said. I mean using too much glue and too much clamping force together (a combination of the two) is what can cause deformation. I have not seen E6000 cause any problems on it's own but that doesn't mean it couldn't happen, especially with fake glue that's going around.

I think you maybe onto something regarding glues that are packaged looking like E6000. I've definitely seen those. 

1 hour ago, gmrhodes13 said:

I've seen ABS distort with a particular make of snap and E6000, must have been the coating reacting with the glue and causing heat, this was on AM armor a recruit was working on, I've never come across the issue myself while building armor.

The reason it reacts with certain snaps is because of the LACK of anti-corrosive material or coating, instead it is reacting to the base metal. Marine and Military grade snaps (relatively same in price as their less protective counterparts) are made to protected against environmental exposure and corrosive chemicals. 

Believe me, I was quite surprised to see deformation after the removal of shoulder covers. It makes sense that what could have caused it was possibly both excessive glue and force from clamps

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hey Paul I looked to see where my E6000 was manufactured and it is in USA, not China

• 2 weeks later...

FYI tube stripes can also go on two ways, but the correct way from back to front, they have a greater fall from the top, from back /////// front

ANH_HD_Hero01.jpg whole%20hero%20helm2.jpgshadow_hero1.jpg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

FYI tube stripes can also go on two ways, but the correct way from back to front, they have a greater fall from the top, from back /////// front

Great point Glen

• Like 2

About to strap biceps to forearms. I going elastic but my question is what are the PRO and CONS to 1" or 2" elastic??? I'm trying to decide which I will go with. I'm not sure due to this being my first build

No real issues with either, I've not had them stretch as yet and I used 1". If you want to be a little more accurate you can go 2 inch

WlEMq1J.jpg

• Like 1

My pleasure, better images below:

DSC03155_zps109481af.jpgDSC03153_zps30716220.jpg

Also a good go to guide on elastic sizes https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/26477-what-we-know-about-strapping-snaps-rivets-etc/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a ANH HERO and today I am planning on installing the bubble lenses. Looking to use ABS TABS to secure. The top inner eyelet seems to have to much edge. The bottom is 5mm, and top is 13mm and top wont touch ABS TABS. I feel like I need to dremel down the top and I am second guessing myself and asking for some feedback on this thought. Will I be ok to take the top down???122f4b5e1103a4665bda296f3529288f.jpg1cf43c05ee7259a5363c55dd2da66260.jpg

Yeah that looks extremely thick.  It should follow the contour of the brow ridge.  Mine is ANH stunt, but a fairly consistent 9-10mm ridge.

You can check out the hero helmet reference in the gallery here:

• Like 1

18 hours ago, repentance3232 said:

I have a ANH HERO and today I am planning on installing the bubble lenses. Looking to use ABS TABS to secure. The top inner eyelet seems to have to much edge. The bottom is 5mm, and top is 13mm and top wont touch ABS TABS. I feel like I need to dremel down the top and I am second guessing myself and asking for some feedback on this thought. Will I be ok to take the top down???

Hey John do you have the bubble lenses in hand? If so follow the contour of the lens 

• Like 1