Shimming Abs

10 hours ago, jimbotron said:

So I have to put a shim to split my abs and may them taller.  Anyone know of a tutorial or thread that may save me from mistakes?

Can you post up a photo or two showing exactly where you mean for us, Jim?  

That's actually not that difficult, and since your cloth belt will cover most (if not all) of the shim you shouldn't need to use any ABS paste, which will save you a lot of work.  How wide of a shim do you need?

1 hour ago, justjoseph63 said:

That's actually not that difficult, and since your cloth belt will cover most (if not all) of the shim you shouldn't need to use any ABS paste, which will save you a lot of work.  How wide of a shim do you need?

I assume about an inch

pic with it on before you do a c-section?  this means you would need to do the same to the kidney and butt connection.

Edited by sylverbard

A tall TK in my garrison just heatgunned some ABS that sit under the canvas belt. You can't even tell and it looks great.
That's the plan to cut the ab and put in some abs under the belt but I was hoping there was an easy way to fasten it and not have to do the back too.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Can you please clarify. Red line to red line? The length of each red line? What brand armor?

I think he means the distance between the lines. So how long the blue line I put in would be. Again this might differ from armor markers and my armor isn’t handy to measure for him.

9d1a0444fa1e3881343fcefa8f0b495c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you sure you need to make this mod?  How tall are you?

Looking at the photo you posted, you might be able to pull the chest down an inch, instead of hacking apart your ab and kidney armor just to add an inch there.

That's the problem I pulled both the ab and back down as far as possible and I get a gap on either side depending how I'm pulling. If the weather holds up I will be attending an armor party this weekend. I will get some other opinions before I dive in.

Adding a strip of ABS to the cod/ab section shouldn't be too hard, it will take a little heat, once you have made your cut and the parts are separated it's only a case of making the filler strip, heating to shape, then added a support piece behind which would also need some heating, once it is glued in place add ABS paste to the join lines, wait until fully dry and then wet sand going up in finer grade sandpapers until flush and then polish. As most will be covered by the belt it really wouldn't have to be perfect, you may not even have to add the ABS paste, there are white silicon's out there that could also fill the join lines.

I'm sure you'll get a lot of hands on help at the armor party, we can all look at a problem and see different solutions at times.

Hey if you really wanted to be quick and cheap you could cut and extend with white duct tape, would still do the job but just wouldn't be as strong ;) 

Back is a little tougher, you would have to extend the back of kidney plates, which mean going the ABS strip and paste method, really depends how much of a gap you have, many don't see us from the back so unless you are going for L2 or L3 it shouldn't be too much of an issue.