NEW R1 HELMET

Hi all!

After obsessing overreference photos and comparing my costume I came to two conclusions. One, my Black series helmet makes me look like a bobblehead. And two, it is missing some of the details from the scene used helmets. I know jimmiroquai makes a helmet as well but from what i can tell, it looks like a recast of the Black Series with some small differences. Which doesn't help my size problem. 

So about seven months ago I decided to start working on my own helmet sculpt. Unfortunately life got in the way more than once and I have had to start and stop this thing several times. 

Within the last month I have made some good progress and I thought I'd share. Please remember this is still a work in progress and there are still many areas that need to be finalized, so don't look to hard at the vocoder its just temporary. I know I need to clean up the eyes and frown, but I'm very happy with the proportions. 

---------------

And that last photo is to give you an idea of the size difference compared to my ATA helmet. 

Today I ordered everything I need to make a mold and start casting. I hope to have a prototype in a month. That may be wishful thinking, we shall see. 

So, what do you guys think? Please be soft with me, I have a hard time with criticism. I normally don't post unfinished projects. 

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

18 hours ago, Big Deal said:

I’m guessing this will make for a more difficult mould build, but after working with jimmiroquis I always wished that the traps and tears and the ear bumps were separate. I think it would look more realistic especially for painting. Bottom trim too.

Well, traps and tears will be separate at least. 

• 2 weeks later...

20190201-191935.jpg

Sculpt is done! Its by no means perfect, but I'm happy with it. Every time I touched it i was changing something and at some point you just have to stop and say "enough is enough".

Now I'm starting to make the mold. This is all so new to me and I'm super nervous to ruin what I've been working on for so long.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Parquette said:

What will these be prices as?

Johan is not looking at producing these at this stage, but may after some modifications are made later down the track.

"I'd love to start offering these helmets. Unfortunately, if i am going to sell them I need to make some changes to the main mold. So most likely I wouldn't be able to offer them for a few months. "

• Like 2

20190214-154313.jpg

Prototype is finished. I'm happy with how it turned out, I just wish I was a better painter. I did some weathering because I'll be using it for the crystal patrol trooper. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I did a troop last weekend with one of my squad members and he brought his jimmys R1 helmet and we did some side by side comparisons.

20190303-213434.jpg

20190303-213503.jpg

20190303-213536.jpg

You can see how much smaller my helmet is.

20190302-165829-01.jpg

Again, please keep in mind this is a prototype. I have recently made some small improvements and am working on a new mold now. I should be ready to start offering these for sale soon.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I'm afraid if you want to sell these it will need to be posted in the sales area and meet the rules there, currently you do not.  Please create this new thread and update this post to link there ASAP.

Thanks.

8 hours ago, themaninthesuitcase said:

I'm afraid if you want to sell these it will need to be posted in the sales area and meet the rules there, currently you do not.  Please create this new thread and update this post to link there ASAP.

Thanks.

Understood. Sorry about that 

• Like 1