JeklynHyde's RS Prop Masters, ANH Stunt Build

Jeklynhyde

I really appreciate all the input!

Got the smaller button panel in place and glued... Was kind of a pain with the magnets... Putting a magnet on one side started squishing it out of place one way and adding another set kept wanting to flip and attach to the other magnets : /

so eventually taped it in place, got the magnets on finally.

Hopefully it comes out ok. I already had to redo the glue twice (third time is clearly the charm -eye roll-)

ZQkNo_Jq-NgDHh5zJEJy3vulCb5vis1YAEv2EATx

I had not gotten to the ab trimming quite yet, wanted to make sure i left enough room for the attachment hardware, so that's definitely going to get reduced.

Edited by Jeklynhyde
Fixing broken images

Just for funsies, I reinforced the rivet holes in the canvas belt by sewing around, especially where I had made the second hole for re-positioning. I tried sealing up the edges of the holes with a soldering iron, but wasn't confident it would do the trick.

sB_N4WuKHkIxprPik8WQoAvF_P42Y56M04hZfkxe

MPFX4fFvlPpAGQCVfCiLzeb4_QTu3cJeiJmtHl5k

After that, I hammered down the rivets and clicked the belt into place. Still doesn't want to keep snapped on the left side. May need to glue it in place... I'll finish work on the belt, then put it off to the side in a curve so maaaaybe it will prefer to keep that shape while I work other parts.

0RdsljECJsv55WUbavxs26-0bEcWK2gfxGTO7Yzq

Edited by Jeklynhyde
Fixing broken images

I couldn't get my belt to snap either. The snaps from RS were misaligned and I didn't feel like messing with it. I just use some velcro to help hold it in place.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My first belt I had to adjust it's placement so I just added a little material on top of the holes and sewed it in place.

• Like 1

Keep trying to find a size for the square rivet covers for the belt, but nothing quite solid. The only thing I found so far is one source that says 1". So I'm going with roughly 3mm from the edge of the circles using a protractor to keep the edges squared.

The first two were a little easier since they were already in a line.

Deciding to be smart this time and drawing the lines on the back since so that it will keep any accidental knife slips hidden.

For the lone one, marked the center roughly, then 3mm from the edges of the circle at quadrants.

Draw a straight line on one of them.

2bz7KNLjpRp-njVvp9tZVJ4wszbMEIIK7RbVntgE

Then line up that line with the 90 and line up the edge to the 3mm mark and draw the next line.

_MxRjmIdjForO2KGNiwbB4KBpWOlCU-5YQp974c6

Voila. Ready for score and snap

RblkO-spb2ZweyPuCzhbH8Vw4TE6YeC0FBxYeDLe

and the result

9o9KfGREiTr1zJgs7cDHgC5BxasARQoTSgFNbMq5

As for placement on the belt, I am still trying to determine if it's supposed to be centered between the end box and the ends, or if the cover edge should be 3mm from the edge, or if should be directly lined up with the edge. Still creeping around the forums.

Next thing that goes on is the holster. Debating between the Chicago screws or same rivets as the belt.

Along with Billhag's photobucket album, I've been referencing a lot of the stickied content. Diana's RS build has been particularly helpful

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/25919-dianas-rs-props-build-anh-stunt/

Edited by Jeklynhyde
Fixing broken images

I would go with Chicago screws.  I use them on my Stunt and Hero belts and have never had any sort of problems.  Great idea of reinforcing the holes, though!!!

Here are some sceen used belt pics that may help.  The one is missing the covers, but shows where the rivets are:

tiscgtr.jpg?1  oSKK0tm.jpg?1

• Like 1

Put the movie on and I'm watching the stormtrooper scenes in slow-mo.. and right away - whaddya'know, this guy is missing a brow trim!

Ahh, my eyes deceived me. It's just a glare. Womp-womp

Gat-7cwSjcpfAelMfBdzrQUl7R6cJjH_yzoFIb5A

I may have seen that one wrong, but this guy is definitely missing his right-side drop box

Looks like the strap is even visible (second from left)

wjbvRwvR3sGAN2Sl-_zsXUw40EyiAuorGPI7jRZ3

Knowing so much about the armour now, it makes it really fun watching these scenes - Oh, yep, shins definitely aren't connected together in the back - that holster is different from all the others
It's fun finding all the incongruities.

Here's (what would appear to be) a hero helmet being worn right behind a stunt helmet in the first scene. Never noticed it before (I'm only seeing three frown cuts per side that is - and the frown is significantly smaller than the one on the left)

KsgIm4XG_gbPUhOL-hkuJtT50l_Z8msT0zB-zQxi

And his chest is busted up to boot...

DukBCzB6sMf_ukWYe6XRC4dekm0wE_LhJOoJaxkI

I guess if you feel bad about making mistakes on your armour, just think.. This stuff made it into the movie XD

Missing tube stripes

oR90H3HfHx3RHch5dAIZObc1sc79AsL2XMQb9Rgn

That's _definitely_ a hero helmet.

I always preferred the look of the Stunt helmets. I prefer the wider frown, I guess it looks more menacing (Like JAWS, haha, as intended)

TVD_DwDKdCrcDhfaYo96DheOZSOT390X7LP3nwz9

Edited by Jeklynhyde
Fixing broken images

Got a good image of the belt square rivet cover (at 1:07:03 on a blu-ray release - this is the scene where troopers are initially inspecting the Millennium Falcon), so I'm going to go with the cover edge being roughly 3mm from the belt edge (not centered and not lined up with the edge):

E_O0gYFeGzVpw5Qu0xj9cLB8mqk_oA3C0CA5FhmI

G8yc9G7DCmrhky56NKNhIPgx8yx4Qr5vI6vKSQ28

Edit: Additional end rivet cover placement reference:

Han

MbUfI_6aPlS5Wy_exBcPRFvGgWT2bNhDzCuCOE1n

In the meantime, I trimmed down the shoulder bells, but definitely not enough. I look like an American football player. To test out the sizing, I taped the chest to the back and then had quite a time trying to get the shoulder bells taped to that. The tape did _not_ want to stay stuck, you can see it unsticking and flying off on the left side in the picture. It was quite humourous attempting to get this shot.

Good thing that they need lots of trimming though! The shoulder bell crack will definitely be trimmed off, very glad for that.

Ub6YCOZz-ugggRhYWwtviNFKrS1r0j6m9Unig8hD

Edited by Jeklynhyde
Fixing broken images

It looks as if there is some trimming in your near future...  As it sits now, the neck is really close and it will cut into you.  You can either scoop it out a bit more, or better yet wait to see how far the bottom of the chest plate overlaps the ab plate and lower it as needed.  This will probably entail removing an inch or more from the bottom of the chest plate, but is 100% acceptable at all levels.  This will also help it lay flatter against the ab.

rzNQYI9.jpg?1    uWqJr8n.jpg?1

• Like 1

I flop back and forward a lot. I was trying to finish off the holster positioning. I did end up going with the Chicago screws. Same ones as on the holster itself. The size is similar (although slightly larger) than that of the rivets used for the belt. I figure matching the sizes works out ok based on what I can see in the movie.

Lurking in Diana's build thread, she has a diagram of the holster placement:

fHea_jLDx_AJ7oH9bboTAp0WJaYzPr0mQw9Iv2o9

But I did a little measuring myself. I paused the movie on a trooper just before the scanning crew boards the Millennium Falcon.

HPu8j_0Z7ZFuZFaUfnYO608D6QwaW_v5d6wFFWg_

I put a piece of paper on the TV and traced over the important bits. I measured the box width, the distance between the end of the belt and the rivet, and from the bottom edge of the belt to the top of the holster. Then, using the actual size of the ammo belt box width as a rough base measurement (about 3cm), I scaled up the measurements to actual size. Going by this, the distance from the edge of the belt looks right (~2cm), but the distance between the belt and the holster is a little short.

9UJPojea0B16JGQzw9QxFdVefVFV7bT9aS1cGpCX

I tested out this by measuring it out and taping it in place, then clam-shelling the ab and kidney plates (to get the belt level around my waist) so that I could get a relative idea of how far down the holster goes. The height of the holster varies from trooper to trooper, but it doesn't seem to go below the knee, usually staying above the lower ridge on the thigh, and sometimes quite a bit higher.

I think I'll wait till I get the body and the thighs, at least, closer to final sizing before I make the final holster placement. I think I'd rather go a little short on the straps than have to cut the holster. But we shall see!

BsYyx6RwZveSyXbgJLAGiQZDZEJLK3fOQoY4MQaU

lW78Xkl7AGdjOcWF1cKmpHcORpBYF4QLKK9Crgf-

Edited by Jeklynhyde
Fixing broken images
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, justjoseph63 said:

It looks as if there is some trimming in your near future... 

Oh yes there is, hahaha.

I think the main body parts will be my next focal point. I was avoiding taking much off (if any) until I delved into the strapping and hardware placement. I'll get those rivet covers glued on and then dig into the strapping research :D

The original width collided too much with the curved edges, keeping the part from lying completely flat

himR9kmlpKytdi3UpUOacLNzfeEdvDkKFf2Jl6nC

So I sanded down those edges lightly and it lies flat now even with the belt at it's proper curve

We1-zqc-WVJofylU72kXbVzXbsZY8PXI9qIANlU-

Marked center points of the belt and the cover

EnhstiMGqp55-3XJP6hx9DXqe-P4TORHeMVAEBvp

Used two magnets for the center button to help pin down the edges in the slight curve. Laid the belt on my exercise ball so it's at a curve while it dries.

PRZa3rCu7oXI85Q8sN9o6qmm_g3x_6FXxk9HDI76

The end covers were easier so I didn't take pictures of those marks. Marked the center on the belt and on the button on the edge side, and marked a line at about 3mm from the edge and glued the covers on, moving them into place to cover the edge mark.

Time to research the body parts.

Edited by Jeklynhyde
Fixing broken images

Just kidding... I finished up the sizing for the forearms.

I cut the right forearm a bit too tight, so I split the difference on one of the edges I cut off, and put it back in place. Good part is this will be covered by a cover strip. If necessary, I can do a repair at the visible edges to make it seem like there's no secondary gap. But both sides are a good fit now.

uvHkB-ptV22dDkoUnl3kXcWk8XaUzXO1-2Y0l6YK

dKi2-OhESeCI2dCFYgQKDngG0GJ3WBlGuD3fiMoT

S2eHtZzLP13Y1Sf7jHt1odLbJXTw_n-zMwdCTOag

The elbow scoops may need a little more trimming, but I do still need to trim and true up the wrist edge.

Both forearms, especially the right one, seem a little "flat". I'm guessing that getting the cover strips in place will help to curve them out.

chQbt9Cl6qbgowtiK3_JhKnzHIkFDlZZYLyrLMV5

Right on the right, left on the left

JsA7pxGnpB2vIjWCAny9_17NxUAu9jK21DFQwKf8

z16DPnFlvkAAS9LTyRCPULta4TmfE8cneRyIeRYC

Wrist ends

0iMf8P1hvIsD8K_1q38ooBASvJl88bBX3nj9tUHg

muncyZfbhOFlSd0kqv3jA-9aCmbJrT2mvM8uGcCx

Edited by Jeklynhyde
Fixing broken images

18 minutes ago, Jeklynhyde said:

Both forearms, especially the right one, seem a little "flat". I'm guessing that getting the cover strips in place will help to curve them out.

That is correct ;)

• Like 1

Occasionally a little heat is needed to adjust the angle of the edges which will come in to contact with the cover strips, you'll notice they are angled at the moment. Glue your front facing sides first and wait for the glue to fully cure before trying to glue the opposite sides and with force they should come down and curve the sides a little more.

• Like 1

Been doing more reading/researching. Cricket's build and centurion submission. Ukswrath, you've also got a superb build thread as well.

Reading into the EIB & Centurion requirements and looking into submissions.

I'm going to focus on the torso now so that I can get a proper sense of how the arms and torso fit together. I'll save gluing the forearms for once the torso is sized and together. I'm debating trimming down the wrist ends of the forearms a little more (I've trimmed a little - still got some room before the first indent). If it's still a little awkward bending the arms, I'll probably trim out the scoop a little more as well.

Still haven't touched the legs or bucket yet. Bucket will be last... Definitely going to hand-paint. Still need to purchase paints (need humbrol 5, 14/15, and some kind of white).
I'm also going to have to look into a blaster. I suppose I should get that search started before I get the armour done so that whatever I'll need will ship so that I can move right into working on it.

Been saving the ABS dust in case I need to make goop.

SFpm9SkQPcDReXF_cW5XblkQgGpFlIgGmcMqm5Y7

I've got the return edges trimmed. Kidney plate will likely shape out when it gets connected to the ab.

I1Itkfz5EN8lcBUhmqW9dNUCmO33pF3pnFP7KcNG

Didn't trim down the chest yet. I was hoping maybe I wouldn't have to, but doing a "dry"? fit, it looks like I'm going to have to.

22DqKLPu-8-Uyh1mfPekAuxDEOmoYLNcleYW5rZX

Edited by Jeklynhyde
Fixing broken images

Dry fitting....

Definitely going to have to trim that chest. Womp-womp.

In order to get it on without too much trouble, I taped the chest to the back with enough room to fit my head through, so the chest is a little floppy positionally - Correct positioning would be with chest plate nearly in direct contact with the back plate at the shoulders.

K3kwAJZp4jOsco0Tj1yOgkToOc96CNs9znsWXTTO   CjHnzUjIYmzzDzudPg0U2969oDYPONxfamMs7p1P

Chest attached. Side and back view taping return edge to return edge. Back kidney compared to upper back looks a little wide comparatively.

kFE5ZRcui0bHpj4w5zJ54Vv95RA3eE3WUtnYMt-t   RPUYaLTv99d8rC7wJZbxKfvnHKcw5IX_oEKjWkHJ

Chest not attached. Side views with ab-kidney overlap. Back view. Kidney-upper back looks a little tighter. That booty though XD.

I think connecting the crotch will sort the bottom curve out fine.

jkHnN7Oxi4eyTxFt7H6CIxV17Nz7LYWAAlz2yOuA   7E-TuZi0zJH2JRKVHH9bkRiG6XgUQhYnoxt6iQ9p   LLgmJUCsNNmEOazuwC4phnG790_yROG73CDhE0-w

Edited by Jeklynhyde
Fixing broken images

5 hours ago, Jeklynhyde said:

Dry fitting....

Definitely going to have to trim that chest. Womp-womp.

In order to get it on without too much trouble, I taped the chest to the back with enough room to fit my head through, so the chest might be a little floppy positionally.

51144446_10157152322109187_3084152531345  51313269_10157152321864187_5327072976888

Chest attached. Side and back view taping return edge to return edge. Back kidney compared to upper back looks a little wide comparatively.

51146944_10157152322224187_6199067400877  51392164_10157152321914187_7328698633572

Chest not attached. Side views with ab-kidney overlap. Back view. Kidney-upper back looks a little tighter. That booty though XD.

I think connecting the crotch will sort the bottom curve out fine.

51233394_10157152321954187_1715222823477  50872875_10157152322254187_8681449075083  50906912_10157152322059187_7788311106916

I think you could pull the chest up a little. I almost had both my bridges touching. but yes you will need to trim. Everything else is looking pretty good so far.

• Like 1

Once you get strapping on a lot of pieces will hang a lot better, I am skinny and didn't trim the sides of the ab/kidney, if I had the butt plate would have stuck out, you can just see in your side photo the same is happening. I do have room in the armor but once the strapping is on it doesn't feel loose.

Also when test fitting, especially legs and arms try to wear your undersuit, it does make a difference ;) 

• Like 1