Simes' ANH TK Build

simorph

Definitely elastic behind the shins, run it through the loop on the front of the boots, add a stap on the end and glue a snap plate behind the shin, I normally add it at the top of the shin as I have trouble bending down, some add it at the bottom of the shin.

Coming along nicely

That's a great idea - I've watched Ross W's build videos and knew about the boot snap, but yes, the idea of making it longer for easier attachment (which may mean it has more leverage?) sounds like a brilliant hack

Thanks!

So glad I've got you guys to check in with - this makes it a unanimous response here and on the UK Garrison, I'm not trimming anything out of the shins.

With that in mind, I've begun work on the magnetic closures for the shins, so they're now trimmed and I've drilled out the inner strip for phase #1 of the construction:

Qf8RWLy.jpg

In other news, the shoulder bridge reinforcement worked.  I used All the Clamps in The World to do the E6000 glueing down the middle and kept them like that for about 48-60 hours:

1goRttm.jpg

And then with some plastic weld and a couple of dabs of ABS paste and some sanding, finished off the edges:

dSC41zE.jpg

So pleased that they 'read' as one solid piece of thicker ABS.

Thanks again!

So lots of clamps and lots of waiting for glue to cure, but getting there.

The 'Cricket' magnetic shins proceeds...

fIByItH.jpg

q5iSLxt.jpg

And finally, the shoulder bridges get glued down...

XAZTCjB.jpg

To fix my belt drift, I decided to get some hardcore magnets and solve the problem this way:

Cut a couple of small slits in the front of the canvas belt and slide a couple of magnets into the middle of the canvas belt...

Ve3IJrl.jpg

Hold them in place with a couple of magnets while I use a bit of superglue on the front side to hold the magnets in place and close up the slits in front.

Then, while held in place, get a needle and strong thread and sew twice around them so there's no way that the magnets can twist or come loose.

m98YWKU.jpg

Then, I glued a couple of magnets onto the inside of the ab plate...

WptG81z.jpg

The result - the belt 'snaps' into position cleanly overlapping the ab button plates slightly - so much so, I can suspend the ab plate in mid-air and everything stays where it should...

Kt1H1y9.jpg

4yd2GvM.jpg?1

Next to come - finishing off the shin magnetic closures, attaching the sniper knee and working up a solution for keeping the calves held down to the boots.

Then, I'm guessing it's time to kit up and take some photos!

• Like 3

Internal magnets now glued in...

0ctTJrU.jpg

And that flippin' sniper knee tamed (took a little heatgun at either corner and a lot of clamps and glue)

Time to wait another 48 hours for glue to cure...

zG5Wv7d.jpg

• Like 1

Looking GREAT, Simon!  I am SO stealing that magnet on the belt idea, lol.  I did notice one small thing (and it may just be a wonky camera angle) but it appears that your shoulder straps are a little uneven.  Once you kit-up it may not be noticeable, but though I'd give you a heads-up.  Looking forward to seeing the whole ensemble!

d94EKJy.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, simorph said:

And that flippin' sniper knee tamed (took a little heatgun at either corner and a lot of clamps and glue)

Nice work :duim: For future reference it’s easier to aligne the sniper knee without any lower return edge:salute:

• Like 1

Thanks guys!  I tried to cut back as much of that return edge as I dared on the knee - wasn't TOO bad - getting the knees shaped so they close with the magnets has given me confidence with the heat gun, so tweaking those sides wasn't as traumatic as it might have been.

r.e. the chest - let's have a look when I kit up, it may have indeed been a dodgy angle - taken a couple of shots here to see if they're straight...

ptC7RpM.jpg

qTUjFHx.jpg

:)

Tonight's challenge - working out which method from everyone's suggestions will work best for me in keeping those shins down

Thanks all!

Looks so much different with that angle, Simon!  The length you have glued on to the chest plate tabs is identical on both sides, it's just the angle that was throwing me.  It's not that obvious in the new photos, so you should be good to go, sir. :duim:

Side note:  You won't be sorry you went with the 2 mm ABS.  Your armor is going to be built like a tank!

wYFalQU.jpg?1

• Like 1

Hey guys

so I worked out a solution for holding down the shins...

I saddle-stitched a length of elastic with a rectangle of leather to the front of each boot with a little webbing grab loop and a snap.  Super easy to snap into the front of my shins before I close the shins in back.

x9nQqUm.jpg

So we took a bunch of photos - what's stopping me from putting this in for app?

y79WuaD.jpg

KF5ZAoU.jpg

sYzwBCl.jpg

jjwhxKK.jpg

XO2tn6Q.jpg

gYVFL84.jpg

TPBNXfH.jpg

Thanks all!

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, simorph said:

what's stopping me from putting this in for app?

Absolutely nothing - great work:jc_doublethumbup:

Just a little something though, in these pics the biceps look a bit big at the elbow. I would also place the shoulder straps ”a bump” forward to get more clearence in the back.

• Like 1

Started off an E11 build thread over here: https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/47280-simes-anh-e11-build-doopy-doos-tino-kit/

...since the UKG won't clear a trooper without a blaster...despite the CRLs explicitly stating that it's an optional item (which I thought was a really good thing since not everyone is comfortable around replica firearms, especially in the UK). 

Ho hum...

• Like 1

Folding stock screws

R8KdoH2.jpg

Keyhole filed out

P00Oj6z.jpg

Latch added in - gave it a go with Milliput, then gave up and instead 3D modelled something based off what I could see in the Sterling reference

Super-easy to glue in with a bit of superglue (as I said earlier, I'll share up all these little greeblies on Thingiverse when I'm done)

XBO04jj.jpg

So, I need to do more digging out of the front stock, fill in the pipe behind the keyhole and put in a bolt to stand in for the latch, tidy up the fake bolts

And then, I think, it's onto the Ejection Port and the Clearing Strip...and more dust!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Woohoo!  Just got my clearance message from the UKG through so all is moving ahead with processing the rest of my membership.

Time to look into fixing that TRamp into my chest plate (any pics of yours, guys, gratefully received!), padding out the helmet for good, installing fans...and prepping that Centurion app!

0YE3b7x.jpg

Thanks everyone for all your advice, ecouragement and time!

Congratulations and welcome to the Legion Trooper:salute:

1 hour ago, simorph said:

and prepping that Centurion app!

We look forward to it - Expert Infantry first though :duim: