Simes' ANH TK Build

simorph

Hi there,

I've been a Mando Merc since Celebration Europe and I'm delighted to say I'm starting my ANH TK build at last.

My dream is to build a kit that has that screen-used look that you see in the opening of ANH.

I'm awaiting a big brown box from RWA, with a kit in 2mm ABS and currently researching soft parts.

I figured I'd start from the ground up, so I'm looking at boots, and, because of my desire to get an ANH look, would like to start with black boots and paint them up.

Looking at this sceen-used prop ref:

img9.jpg

I'm thinking maybe these will work?

They seem to have the same structure, no seam down the front, vertical seam in the middle of the elastic, high at front and back, only difference is a synthetic sole that I sits slightly proud at the back of the boot (although the ones available at TKBOOTS seem to have a sole in this style too)

71iyyMfz4QL._UY575_.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Roamers-Unisex-Leather-Jodhpur-Equestrian/dp/B00PI2T4SE

If anyone has any better matching UK links, that'd be appreciated.  Thanks!

Hi Simon and welcome to the FISD!  I love the eye for detail. Be sure to check out the CRL for the ANH stunt TK. 

If you are going for 501st approval, there are a few details that, although technically seen on screen, may not be approvable.  This might include "heavy" wear of items or on-set fixes such as gaffers tape and such.  Some minor wear and tear is allowed.

Good luck on your build!

• Like 1

Boots look fine, just double check they don't have an extra seam on the inside, there are a lot of boots out there that have a stepped seam join, although fine for basic approval it won't allow you to go higher if you aim for EIB or Centurion, can be quite rewarding achieving those levels of build accuracy.

• Like 1

They appear to...

roamers-u-252a-unisex-leather-gusset-jod

...but then again, so does the screen-used boot...

img7.jpg

And the ones in the CRL...

TK_anh_stunt_boots.jpeg

I may be missing something as the CRL  (https://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:TK_anh_stunt) as far as I can see only talks about having no seam on the front of the boot for level 2 certification.  Can you point me to the appropriate link as I'm clearly not seeing that?  Thanks

Edited by simorph

13 minutes ago, simorph said:

They appear to...

roamers-u-252a-unisex-leather-gusset-jod

I may be missing something as the CRL  (https://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:TK_anh_stunt) as far as I can see only talks about having no seam on the front of the boot for level 2 certification.  Can you point me to the appropriate link as I'm clearly not seeing that?  Thanks

In that image the look fine, they are exactly the same as the outside, there are some cheaper boots out there that have a stepped join seam on the inside, they are easier to make that way and won't get higher level approval.

Hi Simes,

No harm in going the DIY route with your boots - I did the same. However, personally, it took me two orders of white boot dye to get mine white enough, plus the many hours of coat after coat. My boots were also from amazon and around £20-£25. The boot dye was around £10 per go. So, ended up about £45. For about £20 more, RS Propmasters do some beautiful boots that are worth checking out.

(Build link in my signature if you wanted to check it out).

Just a thought. :-)

I have the same boots on order! Not because I'm a masochist but because I couldn't find them small enough in white. I have high hopes for the Angelus paint. (And I'm also looking at the extra authenticity as a nice benefit).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So boots arrived - great fit, have Angelus prep solution and white dye, rubber gloves with logos removed (checquered grip on fingertips), undersuit and balaclava from www.extremeracing.co.uk (good fit, no logos, once piece with two-way zip and which I've seen a number of folks' builds here)

Hopefully start prepping the boots (wearing them in right now with some shoe stretcher) while I await the big brown box from RWA.

U3nqc4R.jpg

• Like 1

Very nice. If the boots are a little too tight you can stuff with wet newspaper, really jam it in there then leave until they dry, I've done this to a few pairs and gave me just the extra room needed.

Looking forward to the progress on your boots, good luck.

Thanks.  Actually it turns out they're a little more roomy than I needed.  But to make sure there's no pinching I've spent about 3 days wearing them about the house with a bit of shoe stretching spray and they're wearing in nicely. I figure I'll stretch them into shape first, and once the leathers been through its paces, softened up and found its natural crease lines, then do the dyeing. ( I may get a couple of cushioned insoles because I know what it's like to troop for a day straight as a Mando.)

And great news, this afternoon, Ross from RWA dropped me a line - I have a Big Brown Box on its way this week!  Time to start watching those assembly videos!

Have a great week, guys!

• 3 weeks later...

So, I'm still looking at the big box, as I haven't had time to sit down to properly research and don't want to start cutting any ABS until I'm absolutely 100% sure I'm going to do it right.

But I'm working on the boots and have a big piece of leather ready to build my holster.

Unfortunately, I'm hitting a wall with every template I find...

What is the vertical depth of the cut out section of the holster?

Sadly the templates aren't actually drawn to scale, so it's impossible to take a reliable measurement.

I get that the left-hand-side is 6" wide, which accounts for the 1 3/4" + 2 1/2" + 1 3/4" horizontal measurements across the holster, the top two parts of the pocket are 1/2" wide....

But there's no indication that I can see of how deep the cut out is supposed to be, unless of course the cut is at a 45 degree angle (which would make it 1 3/4")

Thanks guys

zExsSIB.jpg

Excellent! Well, thanks to several confirmations the consensus seems to be that that missing measurement on the holster cut out is indeed 1.5"

So, I've uploaded a revised version of the template to my imgur so if anyone happens to be Googling for it, they'll be able to find it easier...

60yjR1u.jpg

So, this weekend, I set to and started making the holster.  Really easy, just cut out the leather, burnished the edges, saddle-stitched the side and put in the snaps...

Just waiting for some veg tan leather for the top strips (the only stuff I have is way too thick) and I intend to pop-rivet the holding strap only once I've got my E11 (Doopydoos kit is ordered and on its way)

tbPNkiQ.jpg

Boots-wise...

I went over them with an entire bottle of Angelus Shoe Prep, left that 24 hours, then went over with acetone, left that 24 hours and then began painting...

Ngtw9ab.jpg

Decided to go slow-and-steady, one thin coat every twenty four hours...

OmZxR4y.jpg

This is 3 coats in...

wHT4VVI.jpg

Am now up to 4 coats and things are looking good, have left them > 48 hours and will wear them a bit around the house to see if there are any problems I need to touch up.

I intend to go over with a coat of Fibings Resolene to put the final shine on things, but don't want to do that until I'm confident that the paint isn't going to peel/crack.

• Like 2

Weekend update...

Boots complete!

1NmxEjs.jpg

Pop-rivets that were long enough to go through all three thicknesses of leather, so holster complete!

8YJP68e.jpg

And work tentatively begins on the helmet - teeth and eyes filed out...

(That was a bit nerve-wracking - knowing when to stop/how far I dare go...)

sxHdyCH.jpg

Going to concentrate now on finishing the helmet before I start trying to tailor all the rest of the parts.

(And in other news, Doopydoos resin kit arrived, so that's another project now!)

• Like 2