Need help w/ really bad squawk/feedback & echo.

I need some advice on my voice setup. As of yet, I have never had a successful troop with my voice sounding correct.

Right now, I'm using the TrooperTalk setup. That is, the iPhone app, with an Aker amp and headset mic connected with a splitter.

Actually, I've perfected the setup: I found the perfect speaker & mic placement, app settings, etc. It sounds fantastic...until I put the bucket on. With the bucket on, I start getting loud squawking, and a bad mechanical-sounding echo. I've tried different placements, I've tried going directly into the amp (to see if the app had anything to do with it), but nothing works. As long as my bucket is on, the sound is terrible.

I'm thinking maybe adding some kind of foam to the inside of the bucket will absorb the sound, but I'm not sure what kind of foam would work best. Does anyone have any suggestions, or referral for what they use to prevent this from happening?

Greatly appreciated troopers :smiley-sw013:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

No, unfortunately I haven't been able to find anyone who has figured this out. I've tried just about every setting I can think of and the moment the bucket goes on, it's echo-y and sounds muffled. Fine with it off. Wish I knew what to do.

I was able to get it to work on my FOTK.  I lined the front of the helmet with gaff tape, and put the amplifier in one of my cloth pouches. I  turned off compression, radio distortion, etc. so it was just amplifying my voice. As soon as any voice changing was gone, all off the echo went away. Kind of disappointed, but after trooping without it, I'm just happy to be able to have it.  I will continue to test it out and see if I can get it in the chest plate and get it as loud as possible. I will post my settings here as well as soon as I get a chance.

Edited by johnnycano