Jump to content
Ivoshafen

Walt’s Trooper Factory - Good Choice For First Build?

Recommended Posts

Heya all, still a little new to the site here, hope this is in the right section.

 

I’ve been looking around for somewhere I could purchase well constructed armor that fits in a decent price range since about late October of last year, and I think I have finally settled on WTF. Past financing at the moment, my biggest concern is the risk of ruining the armor during the build process, as I am far from the most handy person you would ever meet.

 

In terms of the specific kits I have been looking at, the Nova Trooper armor holds a special place for me, so I was looking into that. I’m pretty sure it’s a limited run, so if I miss the mark I would go for the Sand Trooper or ANH Stormtrooper kit.

 

But past all that, just curious if WTF is a good choice for my first builds, and if there’s any major pitfalls that I should avoid.

Edited by Ivoshafen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used a walts kit for my first build..a rebels tk. It was a long laborious process but there is a ton of support for your build and walts armor is workable and repairable. Just know going in lots of new tools, new skills and long hours

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WTF is good armor. They make quality stuff.
As for building people are more then willing to help on line. Just make sure you ask questions post pics and don’t do anything your unsure of there are tons of videos out there as well. As for you the help. We are the home of the shiny white.

For Nova Trooper go here
https://specops501st.com

And for sandy go here
http://www.mepd.net

Those are the forums that will best be suited to help with a build.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, cuthbja said:

I used a walts kit for my first build..a rebels tk. It was a long laborious process but there is a ton of support for your build and walts armor is workable and repairable. Just know going in lots of new tools, new skills and long hours

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
 

That’s what I thought it would be, thank you. 

 

6 minutes ago, Frank75139 said:

WTF is good armor. They make quality stuff.
As for building people are more then willing to help on line. Just make sure you ask questions post pics and don’t do anything your unsure of there are tons of videos out there as well. As for you the help. We are the home of the shiny white.

For Nova Trooper go here
https://specops501st.com

And for sandy go here
http://www.mepd.net

Those are the forums that will best be suited to help with a build.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

The main reason I posted here is that, knowing myself, I’ll end up swapping my plans 90 times before I end up with ANH standard or something. So the concept of a shiny white is always there, but thank you for the links.

 

I’m excited to get my kit and get to work, excited to see how this community can pull together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The main reason I posted here is that, knowing myself, I’ll end up swapping my plans 90 times before I end up with ANH standard or something. So the concept of a shiny white is always there, but thank you for the links.
 
I’m excited to get my kit and get to work, excited to see how this community can pull together.



I’m not familiar with the other detachments but I came here a year ago knowing nothing afraid I’d ruin a very expensive piece of plastic. Found that the first cut is the hardest. Measure three time before you cut anything and if something does go wrong there are ways to fix things and most makers have spare parts you can get which are fairly inexpensive compared to a complete set. The knowledge on this forum is amazing. Go through some of the different build threads and you’ll see some detailed builds which help a lot. I’m fairly partial to the being shiny and clean so if you decide to stick around we’re more then happy to help.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Frank75139 said:

 

 


I’m not familiar with the other detachments but I came here a year ago knowing nothing afraid I’d ruin a very expensive piece of plastic. Found that the first cut is the hardest. Measure three time before you cut anything and if something does go wrong there are ways to fix things and most makers have spare parts you can get which are fairly inexpensive compared to a complete set. The knowledge on this forum is amazing. Go through some of the different build threads and you’ll see some detailed builds which help a lot. I’m fairly partial to the being shiny and clean so if you decide to stick around we’re more then happy to help.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

 

 

Odds are I’ll end up sticking around, after all, I’ve always wanted to be a stormtrooper! Just intrigued at all of the options available. But I doubt I could get into costuming and not do a standard stormtrooper, it seems sacrilegious not too.

 

measuring a few times more than needed seems like a good idea, I’ve been looking around and getting ideas of how it will go. Loving how supportive the community seems to be to one another. 

 

My biggest fear is ruining the armor, mainly due to the price tag. But I’m glad to hear replacements aren’t too much of a hassle.

Edited by Ivoshafen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Ivoshafen said:

That’s what I thought it would be, thank you. 

 

The main reason I posted here is that, knowing myself, I’ll end up swapping my plans 90 times before I end up with ANH standard or something. So the concept of a shiny white is always there, but thank you for the links.

 

I’m excited to get my kit and get to work, excited to see how this community can pull together.

Even if you decide on a costume that falls under spec ops or MEPD (or whatever), this site is still a must for trooper building in general.  For my sandtrooper, I posted both here and at MEPD.  I'm only posting my Deathtrooper build at spec ops, but I still use this site for any general building tips.  Frank is right, FISD is awesome!

 

Anyway, my ANH stunt TK is still my personal favorite for trooping - everyone knows what a stormtrooper is (well, most... I disregard people who don't know what a stormtrooper is :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, wook1138 said:

Even if you decide on a costume that falls under spec ops or MEPD (or whatever), this site is still a must for trooper building in general.  For my sandtrooper, I posted both here and at MEPD.  I'm only posting my Deathtrooper build at spec ops, but I still use this site for any general building tips.  Frank is right, FISD is awesome!

 

Anyway, my ANH stunt TK is still my personal favorite for trooping - everyone knows what a stormtrooper is (well, most... I disregard people who don't know what a stormtrooper is :lol:

Are people that don’t know what a stormtrooper is even people?

 

I'm glad to hear the site is inclusive, because I am very indecisive about what to do for my first kit and I quite like the atmosphere here. I might check out your deathtrooper thread 

 

I figured a sandtrooper would be welcomed here, after all, they are just dusty stormtroopers /s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Ivoshafen said:

after all, they are just dusty stormtroopers /s

Hey! Watch it youngling  - what do you mean ”just”?? we took care of the homestead atleast:smiley-sw013:

rDfC6AH.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TheSwede said:

Hey! Watch it youngling  - what do you mean ”just”?? we took care of the homestead atleast:smiley-sw013:

rDfC6AH.jpg

 

Knew that’d get someone running in here, that’s a very well done outfit if I can say! Honestly.

I feel as if the sand house is missing a few desecrated corpses of someone’s aunt and uncle though :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ivoshafen said:

Knew that’d get someone running in here, that’s a very well done outfit if I can say! Honestly.

I feel as if the sand house is missing a few desecrated corpses of someone’s aunt and uncle though :P

Had to censor it for those younglings around here:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haha. My FB banner...

433a0b64cf1352de2dd0d6dc5fe73fdb.jpg


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're interested in Sandtrooper, I'd agree that posting both here and at MEPD is the way to go.  98% of the build is the same, right up until time for weathering.  There are a few minor differences (knee plate, shoulder straps, and hard guards), otherwise, the construction basics of a standard TK and a Sandy are the same.  If you're going for higher level approvals, there are some minor positioning details for the helmet construction that you probably want to look into as well.  But considering how many Sandys started here, as long as you make it clear in your build thread that that is what you're headed for, you'll find plenty of experienced sandtroopers here. :) (as you've already seen in this thread!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×