Jump to content
Ivoshafen

Hoosier Trooper-to-Be (hopefully)

Recommended Posts

Heya all, I've been following the happenings of the 501st and general stormtrooper cosplay and costuming for around two years at this point, and it's something that I've been curious about since I saw my first trooper in full armor at a theme park when I was quite young. Not to mention the absolutely disgusting amount of Legends material I consumed at a young age.

 

Past that, I'm turning eighteen in a day, off to college in a few months, and I finally decided to start looking into getting my own set of trooper armor, this, however, is something I'm going to have to save up for. I'd have to buy it wholesale due to my lack of space to work on the parts at the moment. Knowing this would be months down the line if I put back some money every few weeks from my paycheck, I didn't want to be utterly out of the loop.

 

So, that's what made me wanna make this account, being able to interact and chat with people that have a similar interest. While I may not have armor (yet) I'm looking forward to meeting you all and getting off on the right foot.  

 

Hopefully, by the time I have my armor and (hopefully) make my application to the 501st, I'll have some friends already in the organization. 

 

Anyways, I'll quit blabbering on. I'm happy to be here. Hoping it's going to be a fun time. Hopefully the sleep deprivation isn't too obvious here.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Reese and welcome to FISD:salute:

If you want to be a Stormtrooper you certanly come to the right place - tons of info in various threads here.

Here´s a few to get you started:duim:

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/38-getting-started-read-this-first/

 

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/113-advanced-tactics/

 

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/31-costuming-and-builds-501st-approved/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello and welcome aboard good luck on the journey, it can be a very rewarding one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, TheSwede said:

Hey Reese and welcome to FISD:salute:

If you want to be a Stormtrooper you certanly come to the right place - tons of info in various threads here.

Here´s a few to get you started:duim:

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/38-getting-started-read-this-first/

 

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/113-advanced-tactics/

 

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/31-costuming-and-builds-501st-approved/

Thank you! I'm happy to be here. 

Thanks for the links! I'll make sure to read up on what I can.

10 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Hello and welcome aboard good luck on the journey, it can be a very rewarding one.

Thank you, I'm hoping I manage it. Been something I have wanted to do from a young age, so hopefully I can pull it off.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Reese and welcome to the FISD.

Research is the key in this hobby, so take your time and ask any questions. We are here to help.

You could also search for a local Garrison in your area and get in contact with them. It helps to know people, see armors in person and having folks to ask questions.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the FISD, Reese.  Having time to do research is a very good thing.  There is no hurry.  Ask questions and take your time to explore this site - we will help any way we can.  Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, T-Jay said:

Hello Reese and welcome to the FISD.

Research is the key in this hobby, so take your time and ask any questions. We are here to help.

You could also search for a local Garrison in your area and get in contact with them. It helps to know people, see armors in person and having folks to ask questions.

I've knocked around the idea of getting into contact with the Midwest Garrison or the Northern Darkness Garrison, I just haven't had the time of late with all of the hustle these past couple weeks have been. I actually have question if you wouldn't mind. I wasn't sure though, on which one I should talk to. I live in Northern Indiana (Northern Darkness) but I live terribly close to Chicago, a border town on a border county and all of that, and most big events (conventions and the like) happen in Illinois near me. Say I get my armor, are there issues against applying to a garrison outside of where you live if its the more appropriate one?

 

5 minutes ago, wook1138 said:

Welcome to the FISD, Reese.  Having time to do research is a very good thing.  There is no hurry.  Ask questions and take your time to explore this site - we will help any way we can.  Good luck!

Thank you! I will be sure to. I'm glad for the warm reception I've gotten.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Ivoshafen said:

(...)   Say I get my armor, are there issues against applying to a garrison outside of where you live if its the more appropriate one?   (...)

That is a very good question. As far as I know, zip codes are used to assign people to their local Garrison. But when moving somewhere else, there are ways to change this. Not sure at this moment, whom to contact for this. Maybe someone from the staff can chime in and help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, T-Jay said:

That is a very good question. As far as I know, zip codes are used to assign people to their local Garrison. But when moving somewhere else, there are ways to change this. Not sure at this moment, whom to contact for this. Maybe someone from the staff can chime in and help.

Thank you, I'll take a look about the site and see if anyone else has asked this. It's just the thought that I spend more time up in Chicago and other big Illinois cities than I do in any major cities in Indiana, simply by virtue of living not a twenty minute drive from the border of Illinois.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello and Welcome to FISD.

Hope you can join soon and troop for the good cause.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, swibowoj said:

Hello and Welcome to FISD.

Hope you can join soon and troop for the good cause.

Thank you! I'm hoping the same

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome. You’ve got plenty of time to get it done which is good. Watch tons of videos, read the build threads so when you do buy you’ll be a pro. And we’ll be here to help along the way.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Frank75139 said:

Welcome. You’ve got plenty of time to get it done which is good. Watch tons of videos, read the build threads so when you do buy you’ll be a pro. And we’ll be here to help along the way.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

That’s been my plan, really excited to work on it. Already buying supplies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi bro ! Welcome to fisd ! 

 

If if you got questions make sure to ask them ! Don’t be shy ;) 

 

and you already got yourself a new friend ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the FISD. I’d like to echo what everyone has said here. There are lots of awesome TKs that are ready to help when the time is right for you. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Reese and welcome to the FISD!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome! It's a friendly bunch here as I'm sure you can tell, so you've come to the right place. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome aboard, Reese. And happy birthday for tomorrow. :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/9/2019 at 12:48 PM, CableGuy said:

Welcome aboard, Reese. And happy birthday for tomorrow. :-)

 

On 1/9/2019 at 10:03 AM, TheLorelei said:

Welcome! It's a friendly bunch here as I'm sure you can tell, so you've come to the right place. :)

 

On 1/9/2019 at 9:48 AM, giskard8 said:

Hello Reese and welcome to the FISD!

 

On 1/9/2019 at 9:36 AM, Shanester said:

Welcome aboard! :salute:

 

On 1/9/2019 at 9:05 AM, TK-42134 said:

Welcome to the FISD. I’d like to echo what everyone has said here. There are lots of awesome TKs that are ready to help when the time is right for you. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

On 1/9/2019 at 8:29 AM, TK-40996 said:

Hi bro ! Welcome to fisd ! 

 

If if you got questions make sure to ask them ! Don’t be shy ;) 

 

and you already got yourself a new friend ;) 

Thank you all for the incredibly warm welcome to the site. I'm beyond excited to get to know people here and start taking my first steps to joining the legion. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome aboard! Lots of information here to learn and research as you save and figure the armor you want, whether to build or have built for you, etc..  

In the meantime you should try and see if you have any local garrison members near you, or near your location while in college, so you can help on their troops in your free time and see what it's all about first hand. 

 

Also don't let lack of space worry you. I re-fit some of my armor pieces and made all the changes needed to get Centurion, all within my small military dorm room. haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SgtGarand said:

Welcome aboard! Lots of information here to learn and research as you save and figure the armor you want, whether to build or have built for you, etc..  

In the meantime you should try and see if you have any local garrison members near you, or near your location while in college, so you can help on their troops in your free time and see what it's all about first hand. 

 

Also don't let lack of space worry you. I re-fit some of my armor pieces and made all the changes needed to get Centurion, all within my small military dorm room. haha

Interestingly enough, my dad told me that someone at his work was associated, if not a member of, the 501st, he was chatting with his buddies about it. He was going to see about getting into contact with him for me, so hopefully that turns out well and I'll have some interaction with Northern Darkness.

 

Thats actually impressive! And here I am worried about not having enough space to work in my bedroom. I'll have to keep that in mind.

 

Thank you. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×