Jump to content
Grihm

New member from Sweden

Recommended Posts

Hello all.

I´m a new member here but that has been planning on coming around to it for years and years, but am still on step one. So here we go.

 

I am 40 years old and up till recently had my own business, workshop and store as a leathercrafter. Had to close down due to rebuilding in my shop area, so at the moment i mostly gym and plan ahead for new work and the plans for 2019, for this summers Birka event and of course, to get my 501 setup and application approved.

 

I met the 501 in Sweden Stockholm in 2014 i think it was on Gamex, or if it was the first ComicCon, and we where asked by a member if we where going to join after they found our cosplay gear to be of good standard and quality. We where there for EA and Bioware to Cosplay for Dragon Age Inquisition at the time. These guys we met where fantastic, very polite and an awesome crew. Always nice to pose with Vader and Stormtroopers and to chitchat a bit with Malgus.

 

Anyways, i will be looking into getting onward with my plan, that is among other things to get a Death Trooper gear, and i am sure i will have a lot of questions and weird details to dig into with the help from you.

lxuCcNU.jpg

 

I wish all had a Merry Yule and a Happy New Year, and thank you for taking the time to read my story.

 

Best regards

Johan / Grihm

Edited by Grihm
Adding a reference pic
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the FISD future Death Trooper!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello and welcome aboard 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome aboard!

 

Leathercrafter, you say? You will find that to be a very valuable skill in the Legion.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Happy new year Johan and welcome to the FISD. In case you have any questions, just let us know.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow! A friend for Daniel (The Swede)! Welcome aboard!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you all for the welcomes  :wub: 

 

As for the me being a leathercrafter. If i can help in any way or if anyone has any questions about leather, types of leather, colors, durability, patina techniques etc, feel free to ask away in any way or form. I can post some crafts later on in the Non SW costume department.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Grihm said:

Thank you all for the welcomes  :wub: 

 

As for the me being a leathercrafter. If i can help in any way or if anyone has any questions about leather, types of leather, colors, durability, patina techniques etc, feel free to ask away in any way or form. I can post some crafts later on in the Non SW costume department.

 

Welcome, Johan. My goodness, I missed you last month! Taught myself some rudimentary leatherworking for my holster. I'm sure any tips you post (maybe in the tutorials section?) would be welcome!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, TheLorelei said:

Welcome, Johan. My goodness, I missed you last month! Taught myself some rudimentary leatherworking for my holster. I'm sure any tips you post (maybe in the tutorials section?) would be welcome!

Oh i am sure you did a fantastic job anyways :) However, i would be happy to help in any way i can in any further craft, and do post what you made. Love too see other crafters work. I will be sure to post tips as well :duim:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the FISD, Johan!  Are you planning to build a Rouge One Deathtrooper?  If so, you will also want to check out the 501st Special Ops forum as well. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, wook1138 said:

Welcome to the FISD, Johan!  Are you planning to build a Rouge One Deathtrooper?  If so, you will also want to check out the 501st Special Ops forum as well. 

Thank you. The Rogue One DeathTrooper was the plan among others yes. The 501 forum is on one of my tabs, so thank you for that indeed.

There are other Imperial costumes in interest as well, but to start of it´s gonna be the DT as it feels now =)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Grihm said:

Oh i am sure you did a fantastic job anyways :) However, i would be happy to help in any way i can in any further craft, and do post what you made. Love too see other crafters work. I will be sure to post tips as well :duim:

Considering how much I enjoyed it, I'm likely to continue! I'll let you know when I update my build thread with the pictures of my completed holster. Looking forward to seeing your build threads, on whatever forum they may land. :)

(Also: "There are other Imperial costumes in interest as well" - I'm pretty sure that bug has bitten most of us!)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TheLorelei said:

Considering how much I enjoyed it, I'm likely to continue! I'll let you know when I update my build thread with the pictures of my completed holster. Looking forward to seeing your build threads, on whatever forum they may land. :)

(Also: "There are other Imperial costumes in interest as well" - I'm pretty sure that bug has bitten most of us!)

I went on my first larp in 91, so the amount of bites through the years have been quite a few ^^

Looking forward to the holster, and am actually gonna make another holster for a customer soon. A concealed version of a PPQ 22, so i´m sure that will bring me more than enough headache before i am pleased haha. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello and Welcome to FISD.

leathercrafter, looking forward to your build and holster.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, swibowoj said:

Hello and Welcome to FISD.

leathercrafter, looking forward to your build and holster.

Thank you. I added some previous crafts in the gallery of non SW costumes for now.

Trying to figure out all the different stores to buy an armor from, looking on what it takes to make it at home and weighing the ups and downs of them both. Preferably, i would guess it would make most sense to buy the first setup from a very well known source and well respected in the community, then make the second one from looking at how the bought one was made. Not copying it or re-molding it of course, but looking at part for part and making setup nr 2 from scratch.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Grihm said:

Preferably, i would guess it would make most sense to buy the first setup from a very well known source and well respected in the community, then make the second one from looking at how the bought one was made. Not copying it or re-molding it of course, but looking at part for part and making setup nr 2 from scratch.

I totally understand wanting to get your hands on a properly completed kit. @gatetrooper brought his (Centurion-level) armor to my first armor party and so much of my 2D research made sense in 3D. Maybe your local garrison has a shindig soon. :) So you'd like to buy a pre-built kit and then sculpt your own, or just use it as a template for assembly of a kit? Also I've heard it's tough to buy a finished set that will fit you perfectly. I'm sure others with more knowledge can weigh in on that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TheLorelei said:

I totally understand wanting to get your hands on a properly completed kit. @gatetrooper brought his (Centurion-level) armor to my first armor party and so much of my 2D research made sense in 3D. Maybe your local garrison has a shindig soon. :) So you'd like to buy a pre-built kit and then sculpt your own, or just use it as a template for assembly of a kit? Also I've heard it's tough to buy a finished set that will fit you perfectly. I'm sure others with more knowledge can weigh in on that.

Yeah it´s a bit new territory for me. Never done any hard molding-thingies before and i don´t think a Death Trooper in full Leather armor would be very canon or acceptable :D 
Good that i´m older and wiser nowadays so the research will be done properly for the best outcome :duim:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Grihm said:

Yeah it´s a bit new territory for me. Never done any hard molding-thingies before and i don´t think a Death Trooper in full Leather armor would be very canon or acceptable :D 
Good that i´m older and wiser nowadays so the research will be done properly for the best outcome :duim:

Ah, but "canon" and "acceptable" pale before the power of "fun" :D

I was sculpting a helmet for Seventh Sister before I started my TK and working with these vac-formed pieces has helped me understand how I'll need to form her hard armor so much better. I'd only done fabric work before that, too (pattern drafting etc). Troopers make good learning projects imo because there's just SO much documentation and help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TheLorelei said:

Ah, but "canon" and "acceptable" pale before the power of "fun" :D

I was sculpting a helmet for Seventh Sister before I started my TK and working with these vac-formed pieces has helped me understand how I'll need to form her hard armor so much better. I'd only done fabric work before that, too (pattern drafting etc). Troopers make good learning projects imo because there's just SO much documentation and help.

Weeeell... i might do a helmet in leather...just because ^^
Indeed fun claims a high prio on the list ;)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 minute ago, Grihm said:

Weeeell... i might do a helmet in leather...just because ^^
Indeed fun claims a high prio on the list ;)

Way too cool!! I can't even picture it!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...