Sign in to follow this  
Cosmic-leopard

Newbie from England

Hello everyone,

So I'm completely new to all of this but have been wanting to get involved for a long time. I'm really looking into getting my first costume underway however I'm finding it hard to decide on what to pick. I'm 6foot 5 so very tall!  I don't think many TK kits if any would fit because of my height.

So I was thinking maybe I'm better suited at a character who was taller such as Vader, Kylo, death trooper etc.

What would your advice be for a complete newbie ?  

Thanks 

Tom 

Hello and welcome aboard, you'll find a few others with similar height issues around, have a look in the getting started section, and this thread also check through some of the build threads.  Research is the key to this hobby, good luck and hope to see a build from you soon.

Welcome to the FISD Tom!

Glad to have you here with us. We have a few taller TK's in my garrison. I like it. Easy for me to hide behind;)

Good Luck Future Trooper!:duim:

I've read in the past at certain trooping events they try to keep height in TKs similar as they are in film. It would look odd If I was a whole bucket above everyone else. Is this the case? I guess I want to use my height to my advantage as there's not many people I often meet taller than me. 

10 minutes ago, Cosmic-leopard said:

I've read in the past at certain trooping events they try to keep height in TKs similar as they are in film. It would look odd If I was a whole bucket above everyone else. Is this the case? I guess I want to use my height to my advantage as there's not many people I often meet taller than me. 

We have several troopers of larger height, we do try to keep those together and away from the other troopers while having photos but it's not an issue most of the time.

If you take a look through the "tall trooper" threads, you'll find there's more than a few of us your height.

Those same threads will give you an idea of where to get armor that should fit you.

And welcome. :smiley-sw013:

Welcome to the FISD!  There are some tall TK's out there and there are some kits that are more suited for a taller person (I don't personally know how tall exactly). 

But honestly, if you are not set on a TK, I would look into a Deathtrooper (special ops detachment).  I'm building one right now - and I wish I was your height, or even close to it. 

And as mentioned - there is always Vader - people love to see Vader (sith lords detachment).

As much as I want to recommend a TK (I love mine but I'm 5'10" and 165lbs), there is something to be said for being suited for your costume.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. 

• Like 1

Welcome aboard Tom! Hopefully you're not discouraged...sounds like there's good resources available to you. We have a great group here, so there's plenty of help around.

I am jealous...wish I was tall enough to do a Vader! Lol

Welcome aboard, Tom.

We certainly do have some taller TKs in the UKG, so it’s not an issue as such. However, as you mentioned, Vader, death trooper, Wookie etc might be a slightly more natural fit for your height.

As suggested above, check out some of the “taller trooper” builds here and at www.ukgarrison.co.uk for tips and tricks.

A good place to start might be RWA Creations. Ross makes 2” longer shins and a whole range of “big boy” parts. Some of these might be ideal for a taller trooper to even out the ratio of armour and undersuit on display.

Any questions, fire away. And welcome, again, to the wonderful world of the 501st. :-)

Best wishes
Dan

1 hour ago, CableGuy said:

Welcome aboard, Tom.

We certainly do have some taller TKs in the UKG, so it’s not an issue as such. However, as you mentioned, Vader, death trooper, Wookie etc might be a slightly more natural fit for your height.

As suggested above, check out some of the “taller trooper” builds here and at www.ukgarrison.co.uk for tips and tricks.

A good place to start might be RWA Creations. Ross makes 2” longer shins and a whole range of “big boy” parts. Some of these might be ideal for a taller trooper to even out the ratio of armour and undersuit on display.

Any questions, fire away. And welcome, again, to the wonderful world of the 501st. :-)

Best wishes
Dan

Thanks for the advice, I'll join up to the ukgarrisons forum which was my next step anyway. It's just a bit daunting and overwhelming at the beginning, I feel like a lost lamb. But now I know where to look I'll find my way. Cheers 

• Like 1

Hi Thomas and welcome to the FISD!  You have been given some awesome advice so far. You could certainly do a TK. You could make it work. But you would be an awesome Vader or Death Trooper!

We’ll all be here to help if you decide on a TK, but with that height I’d say Vader would be fun. More expensive but fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Thomas! Welcome aboard here. As suggested, check out those taller trooper threads. I would also like to say that don’t give up what character you like based on height or weight. If you want to be a trooper, be a trooper! Yes ideally it would be nice to be  carbon copies of the screen troopers but being taller or shorter would not stop me at all. I might consider building a death trooper costume someday, and I am nowhere near the average height of those guys on screen but I would still go for it. I think you will find there are plenty of taller troopers here and they can offer some actual advice & experience. 

Hope to see you start on your path to being a trooper soon! Best of luck! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bud Spaklur said:

Kylo or Vader like you said may be a good alternative. Or a Chewbacca?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've joined the Sith lord detachment also to look into a Vader or Kylo. Getting as much research as possible. 

• Like 1

Hi and welcome to fisd! 

Indeed tall person you are ;) 

but it if you really want a tk you’ll make it work you will see more gaps but oke . 

Otherwise a sandtrooper ? Most of it is Stormtrooper but a little bit different you can hide some things with Kama etc. 

Aren't you a little..tall.. to be a stormtrooper? :laugh1:

Welcome and good luck on your future build. I'm sure there are armor suppliers who cater to the larger trooper. But who says you have to pick just one? Can always go for trooper and a sith as well. ;) 

Vader/Kylo will always be the highlight of any troop, so definitely worth looking into if it's something you want to do, especially if you're local garrison doesn't have one. 

For a first time build and to make it easier on myself I've decided againts Vader, I've read his costume takes a long time to put together, and is probably the most expensive costume. 

I'm looking more into kylo ren, I think I could make some components myself and but the rest. Also looking into a death trooper. 

Hard question I know but on average what is the cost I should aim off for? I'm aware this isn't a cheap adventure at all but I'd like to know so I can start preparing the wife lol. 

On 12/30/2018 at 5:38 PM, Cosmic-leopard said:

For a first time build and to make it easier on myself I've decided againts Vader, I've read his costume takes a long time to put together, and is probably the most expensive costume. 

I'm looking more into kylo ren, I think I could make some components myself and but the rest. Also looking into a death trooper. 

Hard question I know but on average what is the cost I should aim off for? I'm aware this isn't a cheap adventure at all but I'd like to know so I can start preparing the wife lol. 

Hey Thomas and welcome to the FISD. Regarding your hard question, you can expect to pay roughly anywhere between $870-$2990 US dollars. You can see all the info on each piece of stormtrooper armor here: 

Now, if your question on cost regarding Kylo Ren, you may want to sign up on the Sith Lord Detachment, they are more equipped to point you in the right direction for our lightsaber buddies. 

http://forum.501stsithlords.com/

Good Luck! :salute:

• Like 1

While I’m not sure on the cost of a Kylo Ren, I can tell you that my Vader has cost me approx $4200 at this point.  Vader is the second most expensive costume behind Boba Fett. 

While over at the SLD I want to say I’ve seen members say Kylo will set you back approx $2000 depending on your purchases. As far as TKs go, you are looking anywhere from $1000-$1500. 

Welcome to the FISD!

On 12/30/2018 at 10:38 PM, Cosmic-leopard said:

UK wise there's a pretty decent amount of choice but it can all be sourced here, some of the best armour is UK made. The biggest price variable is the kit but the reality is you're going to be in the £800-£1500 ish range depending on exact decisions you make.  I think mine was about a grand but I didn't keep and exact cost recorded.

2 hours ago, themaninthesuitcase said:

Welcome to the FISD!

UK wise there's a pretty decent amount of choice but it can all be sourced here, some of the best armour is UK made. The biggest price variable is the kit but the reality is you're going to be in the £800-£1500 ish range depending on exact decisions you make.  I think mine was about a grand but I didn't keep and exact cost recorded.

Happy days, I expected for it to be within that price range. I'm still researching and finding out what best suits my build.