Questions on painting before I continue

I am currently painting my AP helmet and just wanted to ask a few questions before I go any further (aiming for Centurion).

1. Is the trap under the eye a correct size, or does it need to be bigger?

2.  Although the stormtrooper guidelines say that the tube stripes range between 9-16, is there a particular number that most troopers go with just to be safe for approval?  And apart from the pencil width measurement, what are the measurements for between the bump and first stripe, the ear and the last stripe and the gaps between each strip?

3.  Also while I was painting, I noticed that there were some bumps on some the painted parts.  I've been carefully testing on scrap pieces of ABS using new Humbrol paint, new brushes and still keep finding little bumps in the paint.  Using a thick or thin brush, lots to little amounts of paint, but all to the same result.  Although its not too noticeable I don't want to use it on anything large like the chin area unless I can find a way to make it completely smooth. Can anyone offer any painting tips on how to prevent tiny dots on hand painting?

-------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

The quality of the paint job you have so far is absolutely incredible!  I would, however suggest making the trap a bit bigger to fill the space.  The tube stripes should be about 7/16ths of an inch away from the cheek. and although the CRL states that the number should be between 9 and 16, what I have outlined below should do the trick.  You don't want them too close to the ear.

Hint:  When using the tube stripe templates, after pressing them down firmly, hit them with a this coat of white first.  This will seal the edges and prevent the blue from bleeding around the edges.  Do  not leave the template on too long after drying, as it can peel up the edges of the stripes.

Speaking of ears, try your best to line up the screws with the back angle of the upper trap as seen in the reference image below.

S82utCt.jpg?1                        oheOvTP.jpg?1

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Shinyarmour1 said:

Thanks for the helpful feedback.  I'll get to work on those improvements.

You are doing exactly what I recommend to all builders by asking questions and posting photos.  If I could make a small suggestion, it would be to have all of them in one thread, i.e. "Shinyarmour1's ANH-S Build Thread". **

It will help us keep track of your progress (so you can show off your build) and you will get many more responses if they are all in one area.  It also helps others who may have similar issues.

Great to see that you are obviously a detail oriented person, and if you keep this up level of quality I can definitely see a Centurion badge in your future!:salute:

Keep the questions and photos coming, and I look forward to watching your progress! 

** If you do decide to start a build thread, we can transfer all of your posts there if you like, just contact myself or another Staff member.

Helmet paints

Humbrol Gloss Black enamel #21

Humbrol Gloss Dark Admiral Grey enamel #5

Humbrol Gloss French Blue enamel #14 (for the tube stripes I've yet to paint)

You can find detailed guide with picture for the specific paints on the 'Assembly, mod and painting' - Tutorials, tips and HOWTOs section for the ANH paint reference guide.

Hope this helps.

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 5:46 AM, phil said:

what paint did you use on the helmet plz ?