Phasma is Phrightening! (JB's belated TFA build thread)

Hello! My name is Laura, and myself and my daughters have a cosplay group I like to call Just Believe Cosplay (hence the forums handle). I'm here because I've been wanting to join the 501st for awhile, specifically as Captain Phasma. I’ve actually had a kit for almost a year now, but have been too afraid to dive into it. I'm in Alaska and live three hours from the nearest seasoned garrison members. I’ve never seen how a kit is constructed firsthand, and since I am a very hands-on learner, trying to figure it out from just photos on the internet has been terribly intimidating.

BUT - I’m tired of allowing myself to be held back by this fear. It’s actually a step away from that just to post here, because I’ve been planning to for a year and never had the guts to. I really hope I can get Phasma going and maybe possibly finished in time for May the 4th. I would appreciate any tips or hints anyone could give for this build!

Here’s everything I have at the moment-

Armor from KB Props

TunX1yR.jpg

Helmet from Jim Tripon

oyWQSrj.jpg

Hand armor from Shawn Thorsson

aodEclQ.jpg

Gaskets and soft parts from Geeky Pink's Phantastic Gaskets

fQVnFMX.jpg

Boots and gloves purchased on Amazon

jsNK5xm.jpg

pknyRCV.jpg

Edited by JustBelieve
fixed photos
  • Like 2

Welcome and good luck!  Phasma is terrifying... I'm doing one myself!  I'm also doing a KB, but I have a Thorrson helmet.  Best advise: one step at a time.  Easier said than done, I fall into this trap all the time- but just keep taking it one step at a time, and before you know it, you've made huge progress!  

Can't wait to see progress pics!

On 1/2/2019 at 8:27 PM, Stormystormtrooper said:

Good luck on this! It takes a lot of confidence to start. Feel free to ask around. for anything.

Thanks!

10 hours ago, sharkbait said:

Welcome and good luck!  Phasma is terrifying... I'm doing one myself!  I'm also doing a KB, but I have a Thorrson helmet.  Best advise: one step at a time.  Easier said than done, I fall into this trap all the time- but just keep taking it one step at a time, and before you know it, you've made huge progress!  

Can't wait to see progress pics!

Thanks for the encouragement :) I'm still fiddling with the helmet now. I'm considering trying to find a way to redo the frown because I don't like the way it looks, it's not as clean of a cast as I would have preferred. Are you keeping the frown your helm came with, or redoing it somehow? I'm currently testing perhaps replacing it by cutting the hex grid out of black worbla with my laser cutter and seeing how that looks. 

I worked on making a hex pattern to cut with my laser cutter tonight because I really don't like the quality of the frown on my helm. I considered drilling the holes, but it just overall doesn't meet my standards and I just think I want to redo the whole thing. Cutting the pattern into worbla was the only thing I could think of that I could easily do that will look nice. Luckily my tests worked out and it looks real clean. I'm still not brave enough to cut out the frown just yet to replace it, but I'll get the entire replacement done soon, see how it looks, then hopefully can make the right decision.

zKWTVpT.jpg

Most of this build is similar to a standard FOTK, so definitely take a peek over there. Ruthar made a pretty complete build thread with a KB kit, which I used to help guide me through a FOTI build. Good luck!

• 1 month later...

Hey Silver KB Sister!!!!
Geeky Pink here!

I love seeing these build threads!
Thank you for expressing your fears. It’s a hard daunting build. Takes patience and time.
I commented on SharkBaits as well.
I will mirror what I left there. If you need any help at all in construction and assembly, please reach out. I have appx 1000 pics you can Reference from , and am willing to go through pieces step by step with all of you if you need.
I’m not kidding. Ask. I’ll whip out my armor for you too and take pics as needed.

Over the next month in between sewing, I will try to post up all my pics of armor parts in a thread per section of body. With text of what was done.
Kinda like a post build revisited thread.
I just need a bit of time to get that going. And other things are taking precedence. So individual help is all I can securely offer right now.

If you need anything, I am here.

Teresa/SoulArt/TK-41307/GeekyPink

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1