TheSwede’s Replica build

TheSwede

1 hour ago, CableGuy said:

Following with interest, sir.

Were you tempted to wait for one of the HDPE helmets? That’s my next project. :-)

So they are doing a run? I’m stupid so couldn’t resist the black friday but was considering asking them about a HDPE kit so if they are doing one I’m getting that too...trying to find Newey snaps is proven very difficult though so had my thinking cap on and saw some things reagarding accurate armor so have decided to go with TM for body armor as his moulds are the most accurate to the original armor and he also has the newey fastenerswould really like to find original boots too but who wouldn’t :smiley-sw013: Haven’t decided to build it to wear or for display only - no rush on deciding as I haven’t ordered the armor yet...have to Keep my self down and have a little tighter grip on the wallet and accumulate things over time....yeah that’s totally gonna work....

So they are doing a run? I’m stupid so couldn’t resist the black friday but was considering asking them about a HDPE kit so if they are doing one I’m getting that too...trying to find Newey snaps is proven very difficult though so had my thinking cap on and saw some things reagarding accurate armor so have decided to go with TM for body armor as his moulds are the most accurate to the original armor and he also has the newey fasteners, would really like to find original boots too but who wouldn’t :smiley-sw013: Haven’t decided to build it to wear or for display only - no rush on deciding as I haven’t ordered the armor yet...have to Keep my self down and have a little tighter grip on the wallet and accumulate things over time....yeah that’s totally gonna work....

Don’t think they’re doing a run at the moment. I’m keeping an eye out for the next time they do. I’ve already sprayed (well, re-sprayed) a lid in my renovation project. It would be great to do that on a more accurate lid and to weather it like the screen used lids. :-)
  • Like 1

On 12/19/2018 at 7:53 AM, TheSwede said:

Vintage hooks for screen accurate shin-closure

0t5QZkz.jpg

Nice find!

Looking forward to this build.

Edited by Harbinger
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Starting the first day of the year by tinkering with a Stormtrooper helmet - not to bad:)

Not everyone seemed pleased about it though….

Hey! Watch were you are pointing that thing will ya!

ekZUPO3.jpg

• Like 1

Not drawing eyes on before I trimmed them out is definitely my #1 regret right now. :laugh1: of course with the duckbill on your FOTK it was even better! There, now I have a New Year's resolution. "Draw whimsical eyeballs on next bucket."

• Like 1

So...back to order...usually I just hack away but this time I decided to draw some trim lines just in case it would be helpful to anyone. These lines are not meant to be the definitive way to trim an RS helmet but atleast it´s a start and I´m basicly just removing the extra plastic aka the flashing.

BkmTdGJ.jpgZDVuO21.jpg

I usually also cut more of the forehead than this but as one can see on the RS they left this on the Movie helmets and as this is a replica build so will I.

Qjl9ylb.jpgKMIVaD1.jpg

Some more pics showing the RS helmet (screen used)

z9B4lXq.jpg

tWoOsZM.jpg

c7Qawwc.jpg

yyElwAf.jpg

Now...whats with the wierd color?? The originals were made of HDPE plastic and then painted white. I was to impatient to wait for a HDPE run so I will use this paint to emulate the khaki color. And if all goes well I will have some nice ANH wear and tear showing the "original color"

VoLekzK.jpg

As seen, the ears are pretty thin and this time around they came with suggested trim lines drawn on them. Good starting point.

pLj07HS.jpg6luzk3t.jpg

Well...I have the lines, time to cut. I´m using a tin snip except for teeth and eyes were I use a utility knife. 

RfGUzg8.jpgrwdn14I.jpg

And that´s a wrap for today.

2Njtkmh.jpg

• Like 1

Be careful with the RAL 7034 paint. It's classed as Yellow Grey and it doesn't look like the original helmet colour (I learned the hard way). Also worth noting, the RS helmet is made from two different shades of khaki, so there isn't one definitive colour ;) I found that Rustoleum Fossil Satin is a readily available spray paint that is a close enough match.

If you want to go for uber accurate look, spray the khaki paint onto the back and face separately before riveting the together, then you can add some red primer over-spray to the inside of the helmet (no need to spray the whole helmet with red primer). Before attaching the ears, spray the helmet with white primer then fit the ears and spray with white gloss. You might want to go with an off-white like Ivory or Antique white for a vintage look. Do all your masking for paint chips before the white primer goes on, if you are adding any?

Hope that helps :)

4 minutes ago, troopermaster said:

Be careful with the RAL 7034 paint. It's classed as Yellow Grey and it doesn't look like the original helmet colour (I learned the hard way)

So basicly the information is incorrect or are there different RALs so to speak? It was my understanding that the RAL code is universal? Or does it simply not match? I ordered the RAL 7034 already and was only concerned with the number…….got a wee bit frustrated now just in case that wasn´t obvious:P

1 minute ago, troopermaster said:

It may be down to the paint company that mixed it

As someone who works with sophisticated paint mixing equipment, let me assure y'all that the machines can occasionally be wrong. If it's far off enough a careful eye can spot the difference, but it's easy to have a drop of color throw off a match and go unnoticed. Regardless, sorry to hear it wasn't up to snuff and hope yours is, Daniel!

2 minutes ago, troopermaster said:

Well, I can only speak from my own experience but the colour was not khaki like the original helmet. It may be down to the paint company that mixed it but I wasn't happy with it. Hopefully you will have better luck than I did.

Hmm...maybe there´s hope on the horizon then….but probably not, I went back and looked and it said gelbgrau….thanks for the heads-up though, gonna go search for Rostelum Fossil Satin then:salute:

1 minute ago, TheLorelei said:

As someone who works with sophisticated paint mixing equipment, let me assure y'all that the machines can occasionally be wrong. If it's far off enough a careful eye can spot the difference, but it's easy to have a drop of color throw off a match and go unnoticed. Regardless, sorry to hear it wasn't up to snuff and hope yours is, Daniel!

So is the RAL a universal code after all?

Made a quick search and it´s a Europe matching system that was revised in 1993 and the "matching", or the update on the forum atleast, was made in 2013 so hope has returned:icon_beg: 

Edited by TheSwede
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, TheSwede said:

So is the RAL a universal code after all?

I thought so too, 

9 minutes ago, TheLorelei said:

All was not lost. The 3 cans I bought were used as undercoat on the helmets I planned to use them on, so they came in handy after all :D

• Like 1

I Think I´ll be buying this:happyandcheerfulbirthday: only 1.99 a can but shipping was a whopping 99.15US

Rust-Oleum Fossil-Satin Spray Paint (249080)

Rust-Oleum Fossil-Satin Spray Paint (249080)

Brand New
17.64 SEK
From United States
Buy It Now
+879.05 SEK shipping

On 12/22/2018 at 9:26 AM, CableGuy said:
On 12/22/2018 at 9:19 AM, TheSwede said:
So they are doing a run? I’m stupid so couldn’t resist the black friday but was considering asking them about a HDPE kit so if they are doing one I’m getting that too...trying to find Newey snaps is proven very difficult though so had my thinking cap on and saw some things reagarding accurate armor so have decided to go with TM for body armor as his moulds are the most accurate to the original armor and he also has the newey fasteners, would really like to find original boots too but who wouldn’t :smiley-sw013: Haven’t decided to build it to wear or for display only - no rush on deciding as I haven’t ordered the armor yet...have to Keep my self down and have a little tighter grip on the wallet and accumulate things over time....yeah that’s totally gonna work....

Don’t think they’re doing a run at the moment. I’m keeping an eye out for the next time they do. I’ve already sprayed (well, re-sprayed) a lid in my renovation project. It would be great to do that on a more accurate lid and to weather it like the screen used lids. :-)

I think I'd be down to take another crack at the "stop that ship" helmet with a HDPE lid - I want to finish it so it matches the recent auction photos. 

2 minutes ago, wook1138 said:

I think I'd be down to take another crack at the "stop that ship" helmet with a HDPE lid - I want to finish it so it matches the recent auction photos. 

Check out DA props, they have an outstanding mold and do HDPE pulls, I sent them a message yesterday but they are moving so excpected to be back up and running at the end of feb, check this video of it and try not to jump up and down in excitement:dancing-trooper:(not DA Props putting it together though)

7 minutes ago, TheSwede said:

Check out DA props, they have an outstanding mold and do HDPE pulls, I sent them a message yesterday but they are moving so excpected to be back up and running at the end of feb, check this video of it and try not to jump up and down in excitement:dancing-trooper:(not DA Props putting it together though)

Hummmm.  I've been hearing good things about DA props.  I've been following them on Facebook, but I've been too busy the last month or so to really pay attention to what they are doing.

41 minutes ago, wook1138 said:

Have you seen the original helmets since replica ears were added and also the new paint discovery?

M0eA0aW.png

• Like 1