TheSwede’s Replica build

TheSwede

And to clarify, the RS and this helmets are most likely from the same mold back in the day. Not sure though if the originals were all made from the same mold or if they hade several to speed up production but I´m sure Paul knows. 

16 minutes ago, TheSwede said:

And to clarify, the RS and this helmets are most likely from the same mold back in the day. Not sure though if the originals were all made from the same mold or if they hade several to speed up production but I´m sure Paul knows. 

Sorry, who makes theses helmets ? are they for sale?

Edited by Trooperman

1 minute ago, Trooperman said:

Sorry, who makes these ? 

Rs Propmasters has an original screen used helmet that they cast and made a mold from that they sell - rspropmasters.com:salute: If you read this thred from the beginning you will see what it looks like as that´s the one I´m building:)

2 minutes ago, TheSwede said:

Rs Propmasters has an original screen used helmet that they cast and made a mold from that they sell - rspropmasters.com:salute: If you read this thred from the beginning you will see what it looks like as that´s the one I´m building:)

Sorry bud, bit slow at this time of night, good luck in your build, looking forward to seeing it finished :-)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, wook1138 said:

What?!  You questioned it? ;)

Only for a millisecond when I had the feeling I didn´t see any of these photos on your build but you probably did...I know….I should know better:icon_bow:

And just to change the awkwardness….watched the videos yet?:)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TheSwede said:

Only for a millisecond when I had the feeling I didn´t see any of these photos on your build but you probably did...I know….I should know better:icon_bow:

And just to change the awkwardness….watched the videos yet?:)

yeah, to be fair I didn't see these pics until well after I was done my TD build (well, the helmet anyways). 

I watched a bit of the videos - I did see one of these videos awhile ago - just forgot about it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TheSwede said:

I Think I´ll be buying this:happyandcheerfulbirthday: only 1.99 a can but shipping was a whopping 99.15US

Rust-Oleum Fossil-Satin Spray Paint (249080)

Rust-Oleum Fossil-Satin Spray Paint (249080)

Brand New
17.64 SEK
From United States
Buy It Now
+879.05 SEK shipping

I mean let me check on regulations about shipping aerosols but I'm pretty sure I could ship it to you for less than $100 if you haven't pulled the trigger yet - we sell it here at my store, after all!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheLorelei said:

I mean let me check on regulations about shipping aerosols but I'm pretty sure I could ship it to you for less than $100 if you haven't pulled the trigger yet - we sell it here at my store, after all!

I was only joking about that particular sale, but thanks - good to know I have a supplier if all else fails:duim: And now that you let the cat out of the bag I expect a replica helmet from you as well :popcorn:

• Like 1

Haha!! I guess I only took that seriously because I've been in similar spots before, trying to get things from overseas - glad to hear you're not actually stuck with that!

1 hour ago, TheSwede said:

And now that you let the cat out of the bag I expect a replica helmet from you as well :popcorn:

Oh boy. Expectations run high around here. I do have a friend who's perfect stormtrooper size who I've been considering making an RS kit for... have to finish mine, first! But I'll certainly have lost the "don't know what it takes to make a replica" excuse if I stick around here much longer. *unfollows* ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheLorelei said:

I do have a friend who's perfect stormtrooper size who I've been considering making an RS kit for.

Talk about beeing a good friend:duim:

And *unfollows* pssssss:o (:D)

3 hours ago, TheSwede said:

Talk about beeing a good friend:duim:

He just claims he can't make it himself but I can't let biometry like that go to waste! :laugh1: and I'm still here, still here, hurry up and make the Emperor proud with more progress already.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, TheLorelei said:

hurry up and make the Emperor proud with more progress already.

Are you talking to me..? 

kD3kM8Q.jpg

If so....ok....understod...just a bit busy looking for those droids..there WAS someone in the pod, the tracks go on in that direction :P

VZ94u1o.jpg

Edited by TheSwede
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

kJus7V3.jpg

I have the different paint ready, RAL 7034 and the fossil satin suggested by Paul (troopermaster) so time to paint.

As Paul mentioned the RS helmet has two shades of greenish between the faceplate and cap n’ back.

MPbKcRV.jpg

I decided to try the fossil for the face and the 7034 for the cap n’ back.

z721qII.jpg

Did I hear a ”move along”:smiley-sw013:

xhYVW8n.jpg

It’s way more shiny than the RS one but that helmet has a sanded surface as the white paint was removed.

GpmysQp.jpg

GtTbAIL.jpg

Jklh1kV.jpg

The satin fossil seem to be a much better match for the face than the 7034 would be so I’ll stick with that, thanks for the tip Paul:salute:

The RAL 7034 could work for the rest but almost decided to use the fossil for the whole helmet...first some more thinking:)

You're welcome :duim:

Your RAL 7034 looks a lot better colour than what I received. I opted for a matte finish but the colour was very yellowish, unfortunately.  I will try another supplier next time and see if the colour is any better. 

Another tip that I know a lot of people don't believe in is not to use red primer on the ears. Evidence shows the original helmets were painted in white primer without the ears when they were sent to the studio from SDS. So I would say spray the red primer first before using a white primer. I like to just spray red primer around the opening of the helmet to get over-spray inside for added effect. No need to spray the entire helmet red ;)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, troopermaster said:

looks a lot better colour

Would you use it for the back? I´m going back and forth, having a hard time deciding:P

19 minutes ago, troopermaster said:

Evidence shows the original helmets were painted in white primer without the ears when they were sent to the studio from SDS.

Yeah this pic sure shows that as there´s no paint on the ear screws (and the helmet with no ears) :)

YbGQfkQ.jpg

41 minutes ago, troopermaster said:

I like to just spray red primer around the opening of the helmet to get over-spray inside for added effect. No need to spray the entire helmet red

Will be using that tip:duim:

I think I´m going to experiment not using white primer and test "natural paint chipping" meaning dropping and scratching the helmet:o:engel:….atleast in my head that makes sence as there´s one less layer to go through to get to the "kakhi" and that the top-white chips easier without a primer underneath...well that´s my theory anyways^_^

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheSwede said:

Did I hear a ”move along”:smiley-sw013:

xhYVW8n.jpg

I heard one! :D

And that's tough about the cap color. It's nice that it's darker than the face but it does seem a bit too dark, at least in pictures. Have you taken it into different lights to see how the shade of khaki changes? Maybe that would help you decide.

The only problem with using that method is paint really sticks well to ABS so you won't get the desired look you hope to achieve (from my experience anyway). Masking fluid has always given me good results for the chipping effect. I'm assuming that's what you're looking to do?