What to do?

xaos314

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-ANH-Stormtrooper-Armor-kit-100-Screen-Accurate/302996746028?hash=item468c036f2c:g:0QsAAMXQq8BQ6vvF

There is this kit on eBay,  made from an original 1977 armor. I wouldn't know but that what he claims. If someone could take a look and be honest. I've been looking around for an armor kit for almost 3 years now and can't decide. Thanks for your time.

33 minutes ago, xaos314 said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-ANH-Stormtrooper-Armor-kit-100-Screen-Accurate/302996746028?hash=item468c036f2c:g:0QsAAMXQq8BQ6vvF

There is this kit on eBay,  made from an original 1977 armor. I wouldn't know but that what he claims. If someone could take a look and be honest. I've been looking around for an armor kit for almost 3 years now and can't decide. Thanks for your time.

Stick to the vetted sellers list, there’s a reason it’s there ;) You can find it in the Getting Started section

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jonathan. Yes this is Makerofthings (MOT). He is a known recaster and he is on our who to avoid list.  His kit is made out of styrene and is thin.  Check out the getting started threads. 

eBay in itself is always a giant, flaming, red flag.  So there's that.  But, upon review, I see very soft details, I can't quite tell the thickness but it doesn't look great, I'm inclined to say it at least hints at recast because of those.  I'm not a fan of styrene, I would not recommend it.  It's way too cheap, another huge red flag.  

And if @starsaber25 says its Makerofthings, then I'm going to go with him).  

So, in short- no.  There are so many better options available.  Check out the Vetted Sellers list, which will help you determine what kit would work best for you.  

Good luck on your continued journey to the white armor ranks!

Just the fact that you guys speak openly about this is a huge relief and sends a very high sense of respect to, well anyone working towards becoming a member. As a leathercrafter myself, i have seen first handed how a swamped market punishes other crafters with price wars and in the end, a less than ideal quality.

My hat´s off to you all for sharing this in a highly professional manner. 

• Like 2

Just the fact that you guys speak openly about this is a huge relief and sends a very high sense of respect to, well anyone working towards becoming a member. As a leathercrafter myself, i have seen first handed how a swamped market punishes other crafters with price wars and in the end, a less than ideal quality.

My hat´s off to you all for sharing this in a highly professional manner. 

We all do what we can to make sure nobody gets ripped off, and everyone realizes the dream of either having a really cool costume or joining the 501st.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

This guy (MakerofThings) is a blatant recaster.  He has recast Mark's (sskunky) ROTJ suit and JoeR ROTJ bucket, Jimmorquai's work and God knows who else.  He claims in his ads that his items are cast from screen-used armor.  This is not true.  My advice-  steer clear.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, justjoseph63 said:

This guy (MakerofThings) is a blatant recaster.  He has recast Mark's (sskunky) ROTJ suit and JoeR ROTJ bucket, Jimmorquai's work and God knows who else.  He claims in his ads that his items are cast from screen-used armor.  This is not true.  My advice-  steer clear.

Have had people rip designs and material seller info from my shop before so i can relate :/  
You should have some form of protection if possible, like a patent etc. Probably hard to do but one can speculate at least.

3 hours ago, Grihm said:

Have had people rip designs and material seller info from my shop before so i can relate :/  
You should have some form of protection if possible, like a patent etc. Probably hard to do but one can speculate at least.

There is no recourse here because all of these are made without disney/Lucas approval with the exception of Anovos. Since they are all technically illegal you can't legally protect it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/4/2019 at 3:06 PM, Grihm said:

there are patents. LFL and Disney own them.  Anovos has a licence, Rubies used to.

the rest of us blatantly, willingly, unforgivingly, violate IP daily.  with tacit permission from TPTB to do so, because of the 501st visions of Costumes, Community, and Charity.

:-)

• 2 weeks later...

Basically the recourse is the 501st and the entity of FISD blacklisting them and getting the word out that they're recasters and should be avoided at all costs.  It's something, at least.  Still, I wish there were more that could be done for known and proven recasters.  Or, you know, people could stop being jerkwads and ripping off other people's hard work.