Paint Removal Method

TK3373

Hi guys,

I have acquired a second hand set of RS props ANH armor and helmet and wanted to know the best and safest way to remove the painted parts traps etc from the helmet. My intention is to convert to ESB which I already have the decals for, but I just need to remove the painted bits first.

Some of the paint such as the tube stripes came off easily with a bit of a scraping but some of the other parts arent so easy. I dont want to scratch the helmet in the process.

Would remove the paint better? Some sort of thinners or turpentine? I am also mindful of damaging the plastic.

The helmet and armour is pvc btw.

Cheers

Scott

Agreed.  Most paint should be able to be removed with isopropyl alcohol, some cotton balls, and some elbow grease. :) It won't damage the plastic.

20160511024401-f4ca0129-me.jpg

20160511024408-9ec50656-me.jpg

(Since I was painting the same color over it, I didn't bother to go farther, but I certainly could have)

I also like to use mineral spirits before anything else, it’s a little more forgiving than other cleaners, but in the end what ever works for you

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TK3373 said:

Thanks guys. Is isopropyl similiar to Lens or compuer screen cleaner? If so my local trade store has this.

Sometimes they have some in it, but mixed with all kinds of other junk.  We just buy it at the drug store, usually.  It's often in the first aid section, as it is often used as a topical antiseptic.  It's also sometimes in the makeup aisle, since ladies sometimes use it for makeup removal.

https://www.chemicals.co.uk/blog/uses-of-isopropyl-alcohol

Some paints it's very effective at removing, but other kinds of paint might need something stronger.

Edited by kman

will that remove cellulose spray paint off pvc armour ?
Not sure I've never needed to remove any. I'd see if any others have a suggestion on that before proceeding. I know it wouldn't affect the abs.

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I have had very good luck with mineral spirits- safe for ABS and when you let well-dried paint soak (cotton balls and/or cotton rounds, but makeup sponges also work well), it usually comes off pretty well.  You could always remove the outer parts where decals will then cover where applicable.

And yay, another ESB!

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/18/2018 at 11:18 AM, sharkbait said:

I have had very good luck with mineral spirits- safe for ABS and when you let well-dried paint soak (cotton balls and/or cotton rounds, but makeup sponges also work well), it usually comes off pretty well.  You could always remove the outer parts where decals will then cover where applicable.

And yay, another ESB!

Where did you find the Mineral Spirits? I looked it up on Hobby Lobby and it says it’s not for sale or shipment to California.

1 minute ago, TK-42134 said:

Where did you find the Mineral Spirits? I looked it up on Hobby Lobby and it says it’s not for sale or shipment to California.

Home Depot or Lowe's, usually.

79032e208b22063656cee8a501447ab4.jpg
I’m trying to achieve EIB I was going to fix the overspray on my frown using mineral spirits. Any recommendations on doing this? I am using a Q-Tip and rubbing the overspray, but it doesn’t seem to be coming off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

A q-tip will work eventually, but it's hard to be precise with a q-tip on an area so small.

I agree with gmrhodes13 that a toothpick is probably a more precise tool if you're ONLY looking to remove overspray.

Personally, I find it easier to just remove the majority of the paint entirely, using a cotton ball. (it takes a long time, but it WILL come off)  Then repaint.  You don't have to worry about removing every last bit from the center, since they'll be painted over, just at the edges where you want NO paint.

1c1addc36a62acd41e6146fcb8da1d68.jpg
I think I am just going to try and remove the overspray. I think Anovos did a fairly good job on the paint overall. What do you guys think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When removing the overspray, you have to be really careful not to go too high onto the teeth.  If you do, as Kalani pointed out I would suggest repainting all of them. 

You might also want to consider repainting/defining the top of the vocoder using a Filbert style brush with a rounded end, as it would really improve the look.

Reference image

8wFvNRs.jpg?1     SuCCZeT.jpg?1

4 hours ago, justjoseph63 said:

When removing the overspray, you have to be really careful not to go too high onto the teeth.  If you do, as Kalani pointed out I would suggest repainting all of them. 

You might also want to consider repainting/defining the top of the vocoder using a Filbert style brush with a rounded end, as it would really improve the look.

Reference image

8wFvNRs.jpg?1     SuCCZeT.jpg?1

Thanks for the suggestion for painting the  vocoder. I may try doing that as well.

On 1/4/2019 at 3:11 PM, TK-42134 said:

Pretty sure I got mine at OSH, but since they're officially dead (boo), I'd say Home Depot or Lowes.  It'd be in the area with paint/paint thinner/paint stripper, etc.  I think, if not, then the glue section.  

8 minutes ago, sharkbait said:

Pretty sure I got mine at OSH, but since they're officially dead (boo), I'd say Home Depot or Lowes.  It'd be in the area with paint/paint thinner/paint stripper, etc.  I think, if not, then the glue section.  

I found some at Lowe’s.