Patrick's ANH E11 build thread

PatrickM

The printed sight block looks nice and sharp. Well done on the installation. I remember first cutting into the main tube to create the dovetail space, wondering if I had gone too far in trying to capture the look of the real sterling. It’s great to see this is now pretty much standard procedure for the doopy builds. It certainly adds that extra element of realism.  

Keep up the great work!

Edited by Bulldog44
Typo!
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Bulldog44 said:

The printed sight block looks nice and sharp. Well done on the installation. I remember first cutting into the main tube to create the dovetail space, wondering if I had gone too far in trying to capture the look of the real sterling. It’s great to see this is now pretty much standard procedure for the doopy builds. It certainly adds that extra element is realism.  

Keep up the great work!

Thanks to the pioneering work of you and the other contributors of the E11 reference guide these awesome mods are now available to all of us, greatly improving the realism of our blasters. Can’t thank you guys enough for that! :icon_bow:

BTW: I bought some cheap bulldog clips, but unfortunately the metal is even harder to get through than the pen clip. Beginning to doubt the quality of my metal drill... :unsure:

26 minutes ago, Sly11 said:

Wow, such a good build thread, I look very much forward to seeing the finished product.

Great work trooper :salute:

Thanks Andrew! I’m also looking forward to seeing the finished product. ;) It will probably take some time before the weather over here is suitable for starting the painting in my unheated garage, so in the meantime I can make up my mind about where to place the electronics and continue to add details. :)

Edited by PatrickM
Autocorrect error...
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Finally another update. :D

LED strip housing

The BlastFX LED strip will be placed inside an acrylic tube that I sanded down a bit to make it “milky white”. I will place the LED strip between two half-round rods, one of which I hollowed out with the Dremel:

33465596038_15517e998e_h.jpg20190310_141652

The selection switch

Today I worked on the rotary selection switch, which will be fully functional in my blaster. I started by recreating the shape of the lever from an aluminum strip, and filed a notch on both sides such that it could slide into the actual switch (knurling pattern will be added in a later stage, using a thin layer of green stuff):

47341628581_fc1f1ceac8_h.jpg20190310_164145

Then came the nerve wrecking Dremeling of a hole big enough to fit the rotary selection switch without damaging the grip. I drilled a hole from the top of the grip to the hole for the switch to guide the cables:

32399592787_3299d2fed0_h.jpg20190310_212650

I used green stuff to fill up the hole and keep the switch in position:

47289033842_e6cd06d7a1_h.jpg20190310_203912

Trigger switch

As you probably already noticed in the previous pictures, I had also mounted the trigger switch in the same way (Dremeling a hole, insert the switch, fill up with green stuff). Here’s a short video of testing the trigger switch:

video-process.png20190310_142015

That’s it for now, cheers mates! :pint1:

Edited by PatrickM
Added remark about knurling pattern
  • Like 3

Selector switch looks great! Nice work on  that and the light tubes. Looking forward to see how the sanded tube helps with the LED lights. Does it all fir nicely in the receiver tube?  Keeps those updates coming! 

• Like 1

Wow wow wow - most excellent progress. Very nice precision work here on installing electronics for the selector switch and on that acorn nut part. Boy, I certainly feel for your apprehensions; great execution!!

IMO, frosting the acrylic tubing dissipates the light where as keeping it clear and adding krinkled celephane carrie's the light down the tube ... but with LED strips on this BlastFX v2, light is evenly distributed down the tube - so if a milky light effect is your cup of tea, no doubt the effect will be sweet.

Keep up the superb work!

Sent from my SM-G390W using Tapatalk

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bulldog44 said:

Selector switch looks great! Nice work on  that and the light tubes. Looking forward to see how the sanded tube helps with the LED lights. Does it all fir nicely in the receiver tube?  Keeps those updates coming! 

If only Flickr would finally process that video... :icon_beg: It fits in the receiver tube, but I will have to cut a piece out of the acrylic tube where the scope rail enters the receiver tube. 

2 hours ago, Dracotrooper said:

IMO, frosting the acrylic tubing dissipates the light where as keeping it clear and adding krinkled celephane carrie's the light down the tube ... but with LED strips on this BlastFX v2, light is evenly distributed down the tube - so if a milky light effect is your cup of tea, no doubt the effect will be sweet.

I frosted the tube because I didn't like how you could see the individual LEDs from outside the barrel.

Thanks for the feedback guys! :duim:

• Like 2

Since the video section of Flickr is still not accepting new video's, here's a YouTube link instead:

Fortunately everything survived the build-in process! :D

Cheers :pint1:

Edited by PatrickM
Video link appearance
  • Like 3

Since the video section of Flickr is still not accepting new video's, here's a YouTube link instead: 

Fortunately everything survived the build-in process! 

Cheers :pint1:

Very nice. Looks like the switch has a very satisfying ‘click’ to it. Good stufff. :-)
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, CableGuy said:

Very nice. Looks like the switch has a very satisfying ‘click’ to it. Good stufff. :-)

Hi Dan, yes the switch has a very nice ‘click’. And the angles of the 3 positions match the ‘A  R  S’ printing on the grip very well. I’m very happy that Paul included this switch in my BlastFX kit! :jc_doublethumbup:

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing that video about the selector switch, really cool. Really nice to see how your frosted acrylic tubing working good like that, excellent concept and execution! Looking forward to your next update!

• Like 1

On 3/18/2019 at 9:38 AM, T-Jay said:

Great job so far. Can't wait to see a video of this blaster when everything is completed... :duim:

I know, progress is slowing down. :blush: Lots of other things to do in my spare time, but don’t worry I’ll get there! :smiley-sw013:  Hopefully temperatures will rise so that I can start painting the Hengstler counter black and hotglue the display, speaker and switch in there.

11 hours ago, Dracotrooper said:

Thanks for sharing that video about the selector switch, really cool. Really nice to see how your frosted acrylic tubing working good like that, excellent concept and execution! Looking forward to your next update!

The frosting hides the LEDs from direct sight and spreads their light. The main power LED will be mounted at the front of the barrel, so its light output is not affected by the frosting. Glad you like the result! :salute:

Cheers mates! :pint1:

• Like 1