Inferno Squad

PICTreed

After failed attempts at joining Jolly Roger I thought I'd post here about my build and maybe get some feedback.

I thought I'd try a 3D printed helmet and use it as a mold for the final product.  I'll be using a combination of vacuum forming, composite or sandwich construction with fiberglass and epoxy, and HydraCAL/Hydra Stone or something similar for casting.

I'd like to make this as accurate as possible even though it's not from an approved source.

My fear is that the scale of the helmet may be off.  Once I get it finished maybe someone can compare some measurements from their Tie pilot helmet.

Inferno Helmet2.jpg

Inferno Helmet(0).jpg

Yeah Tim not surprised about JRS. Their forum has little action. Have you tried Spec Ops?  I’m not sure which inferno squad costume you are building but I know Del Meeko is covered over there. 

Anyway, you certainly have some high ambitions. What are your reasons for 3d printing this as opposed to buying a kit?  Are you interested in doing the work and making it start to finish?  

You could contact the DL or XO from JRS if you are having issues joining.

DL ptbenz@gmail.com

XO corellianimports@aol.com

One of the costumes I'm yet to research or own, but I find with any costume even with the detachments you still need to research, you will find the Tie helmets are a lot bigger than Stormtrooper helmets. I would suggest for reference comparing with screen images and the CRL (costume reference library), the CRL's are the base requirement for costume approval, you can find them here

3 hours ago, starsaber25 said:

Yeah Tim not surprised about JRS. Their forum has little action. Have you tried Spec Ops?  I’m not sure which inferno squad costume you are building but I know Del Meeko is covered over there. 

Anyway, you certainly have some high ambitions. What are your reasons for 3d printing this as opposed to buying a kit?  Are you interested in doing the work and making it start to finish?  

I think ultimately I will order a Tie Fighter helmet and convert it (TK needs to be finished first) but I just got the printer and wanted to experiment.   I'm not impressed with a plain printed part.  I think it's a great start but it's difficult to make a finished product so this may help the guys that have the printers and realize a printed costume isn't where you stop.

The materials are sitting on my shelf from my days in RC Plane building.  The vacuum machine was used for making different types of fiberglass parts like wings and fuselages so we can get lighter fiberglass parts.  We vacuum formed the canopies and we used the silicone molds for scale engine parts and other details cast out of resin.  

The construction from raw materials is what I like best.  

I was deep into producing parts for other guys and it's not anything I ever want to get into again unless we run across something that isn't being produced by a proper shop.  I think we need to support these shops as much as we can because if it weren't for them we wouldn't have these awesome costumes.  

Edited by PICTreed

3 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

You could contact the DL or XO from JRS if you are having issues joining.

DL ptbenz@gmail.com

XO corellianimports@aol.com

One of the costumes I'm yet to research or own, but I find with any costume even with the detachments you still need to research, you will find the Tie helmets are a lot bigger than Stormtrooper helmets. I would suggest for reference comparing with screen images and the CRL (costume reference library), the CRL's are the base requirement for costume approval, you can find them here

Ya, I think this one is close but it seems a bit small compared to my Stormtrooper.  It will probably end up in the theater room as a prop.

• Like 1