Adianu's WTF shorty build

Adianu

My origin tutorial was from 2007 and I changed how I did things. 

I used 2 lengths of 3 inch wide white elastic for the base. This was covered both sides by either natural or white canvas. You can whiten the natural with shoe whitener for extra screen accuracy. The length of the belt needs to overlap around 4-5 inches to close in the back. Use around 4-5 inches of 2 inch wide Velcro to close. No need for any plastic insert, this will be strong enough. My belts had 4 layers. I use zigzag stitch the sew together and straight stitch for the Velcro. 

• 2 months later...
On 5/26/2020 at 3:24 AM, firebladejedi said:

My origin tutorial was from 2007 and I changed how I did things. 

I used 2 lengths of 3 inch wide white elastic for the base. This was covered both sides by either natural or white canvas. You can whiten the natural with shoe whitener for extra screen accuracy. The length of the belt needs to overlap around 4-5 inches to close in the back. Use around 4-5 inches of 2 inch wide Velcro to close. No need for any plastic insert, this will be strong enough. My belts had 4 layers. I use zigzag stitch the sew together and straight stitch for the Velcro. 

Did you have issues with your previous method that included the plastic insert? I purchased materials to make belts for our two kits, which included a sheet of thin, clear plastic for the insert. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/31/2020 at 11:09 PM, Firedog said:

Did you have issues with your previous method that included the plastic insert? I purchased materials to make belts for our two kits, which included a sheet of thin, clear plastic for the insert. 

Depends on what your blaster is made from too, I see some very heavy blasters on belts that could really do with the plastic insert ;) 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Well, it's been awhile... I got unmotivated as quarantine/lack of trooping/lack of armor parties dragged on. I've made some progress in torso strapping and thigh fitting. I also finished the helmet (4th time was the charm on my ears, and I got to learn how to nicely fill in an extraneous drill hole on the face). It's time to get this thing finished!

I did sew my belt, and funnily enough worked on that a bit more today. (I ended up using the elastic as advised- it's not yet assembled enough to test out with my blaster [which arrived, woot!] but so far so good!) When I got the torso pieced together and put the belt on, it turns out I had made the belt too long. Today I trimmed it down and repositioned Velcro.

Before I started to assemble the belt I decided to pull out the plastic and check against notes, and... it appears that Past Me got a bit overzealous on my trimming. I took it down pretty close to the boxes on the top and bottom edges (looks like 1-3 mm along most of it, and a couple of uneven places that will need to be smoothed out and thus probably going to the closer side of things). I see that the CRL doesn't give a specific distance to the edge, but the Billogram says 3-5 mm. I am going for Centurion. Do I need to scrap this belt piece and get a new one before I go to all the trouble of putting it together and then having to disassemble it?

3NcHvrl.jpg

Overall view of the belt

asxdZCV.jpg

Not a lot of space to the edge here.....

xuGsCKh.jpg

Wonkiness that I'll need to even out.... 

Thoughts?

Edited by Adianu
adding pics

• 3 months later...

Finally approved! If I have the energy and find any useful in-progress pictures to go back and add I'll do so. For now, using this to remind myself how to post pics in the forums so I can put in my EIB app :)

5IW5vcQ.jpg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Adianu said:

Finally approved! If I have the energy and find any useful in-progress pictures to go back and add I'll do so. For now, using this to remind myself how to post pics in the forums so I can put in my EIB app :)

Congratulations !!! Well done.  

We'll be waiting for your EIB application ! 

This link can be useful for posting images 

:salute: